Close

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Default Fox Body Louvers Question

Hello all,

I have a question. I thought that all "Ford" Louvers had 10 Slats of louvers. I have some for my 79 Cobra that are from Ford and they are 10 Slats. This is one way "I thought" you could tell Ford Louvers from the aftermarket. So on Ebay this person has Louvers and they are 12 Slats and they said they come in a Ford Box with part # E3ZZ6144268A
    which seems to be a part for an 83 Mustang. Does anyone else have 10 Slats or even 12??

Dazed and Confused

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4512500820

Ford produced 2 different kind. The 12 slats were used on the 82 models I know for sure. I know because I removed a set here in TN and shipped them up to him for his 82. I took them off of an 82 GT in the junkyard. That particular style has holes in the hatch where the louvers attach on the body with specific hinges and clips. The ones that are 10 slats that I have seen attach to the window. The ones on the 82 used threaded holes on the hatch to hold them down. The screws went down into the hatch. The ones that sit on the glass have pieces glued to the glass that have studs on them.

How are yours attached to the car?

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Silver85,

That makes since. I did not know Ford made two types. Mine attach to the window.

Thanks!

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

79mustangcobra, my '79 Cobra came equipped with the 12 slat rear window louvers. They mount at the top with hinges that are placed above the window molding and screws that thread into "knurles" that are embedded into the hatch itself. On the bottom, I've got small stainless steel screws that mount it to the hatch.

I don't really know how it was mounted at the bottom from the factory. When I bought my car, one side had a huge rivet holding it down, while the other side had a huge screw.

I also didn't know that FORD had produced the 10 slat style which mounts directly on the glass. Ya learn something new everyday.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Travis T

The ones that attached to the body should have thumb screws at the bottom, I have a NOS set of those louvers in my garage that I need to get rid of, they won't fit my 84GT since they attach about where the spoiler would.

You know it makes sense now. Basing this on what Travis T has just informed us of. From 79-early 84 (late 1983 Sept-Nov) they could have used the 12 slat louvers because the spoiler did not get in the way. In mid 1984 they went to the one piece spoiler that ran from mid 84 production to the end in 1993 on the LX model. That spoiler would get in the way of the 12 slat louvers. I could see Ford going to the 10 slat style beause it does not interfere with the spoiler. The 87-93 GT spoiler goes even further up the hatchback than the LX (early GT style). So they would have to get the louvers to fit on the glass. It totally makes sense that way. Whether or not it is the reason? We can only guess.