Close

Default 2.3T rebuild kit?

I've got a 1980 Ford Fairmont Futura Turbo, 1 of 1158 and it deserves more than what it's got now so I want to start by rebuilding the engine and possibly making it into a 2.5 stroker in my auto class next year for some credit. Where can I score a rebuild kit?

racerwalsh is a good place to start.

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA1676

They have a 2.5 stroker crank, and likely the associated rods/pistons to go along with it.

You'll probably find alot of info on the Turbocoupe forums, I've seen several of those guys stroking the 2.3's to 2.5's over there.
    1984 Capri RS - 503rwhp/558 Ft/tq on pump gas
    1986 Mustang GT Convertible - 40k, all original

Search TUrboford.org's archives, i've seen mention of a kit, but never really paided attention cause i'm cheap.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Unless you have $$ to burn, the 2.3 bottom end is dang stout!. Your $$ spent on a new/diff crank would be much better spent on a good cyl head (ported BV iron or Alum Essy head), hybrid turbo, and/or aftermarket/piggyback ECU. An additional .2L is not going to net you a whole heckuva lot.

Even at well over 150K on the clock the large majority of ppl report seeing plenty of cross-hatching in the bores w/o any ridging when the head is pulled. The stock rods are usually good up to ~300-400 hp. I'd spend my time & $$ on the top end and doing the EFI conversion (ECU, wiring, and fuel setup).

Sweet score on the Futura, definitely one rare bird!

-Mike

edit: Yes, 1 also 2nd Turboford as a resource as well as racer walsh & Esslinger too.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

I agree.

Screw .2 liters. Convert to EFI , and the newer (then yours) 83-89 motor. 87-88 TC's are best since they have everything you will want.

Get the 87-88 TC computer and an 87-89 Mustang engine harness. Then email me and I will tell you how to wire it.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap