Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intercoolers

There are a couple of Volvo DOHC swaps that are running. One is apparently in a Volvo. Guy was quoted as saying the Volvo block wasn't strong enough so he put the DOHC head onto the Ford block.
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Senior Member

I plan on using multiple 1G DSM cores...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmike8
    I plan on using multiple 1G DSM cores...
    I like that idea. How is the pressure drop on the DSM core's.

I was thinking of mounting a TC intercooler in the same location as the DSM and VW's. I was looking at the bottom of the SVO and I'm thinking of using the charcoal canister mounting bracket to mount the TC IC. Run the peipe's down the hole in the fender to the IC then back up from the bottom of the car. Then make a few hole's in the inner fender liner to feed it some air.

I'm not sure it I can get it down their and keep the fog light's.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I should've bought the couple of $30 Supercoupe cores I saw on Ebay. Then had someone weld um together.

FEP Super Member

I have a SC intercooler. Got any good idea's on where to mount it!!

I'm not going to cut the SVO up in any way!!!

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    I have a SC intercooler. Got any good idea's on where to mount it!!

I'm not going to cut the SVO up in any way!!!

kyle
    Well you know your idea above was done sorta by MikeLTDLX on TUrboford. Look for his thread about his intercooler SVO setup.

I'd put it in the front on my car, where some others have.

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    [
    Wasn't over kill...he blew the end tanks on it twice, 25+ PSI.
    Blowing the end tanks off doesn't mean that the intercooler wasn't overkill, it just means that the welds sucked. I've heard of strapped plastic tank ICs holding up to 25psi. Certainly that triple volvo core should easily flow enough air for a turbo 5.0, shouldn't it?

It should. And crappy welds or not it probably still wasn't over kill. The turbo flowed quite a bit of air over the T3. The turbo he had is capable of 500HP I believe. So it just wasn't the 25 PSI.

An easier route than the triple core Volvo would be a Large NPR. Search Ebay for NPRs, they fit snug in the core support of a Fox Body.

I thought he cracked the end tanks the first time with the stock turbo, thought he had killed his turbo, and went with the holset. I had heard that they were too large to spool on a 2.3 or as twins on a 5.0 but evidently that isn't the case. Thanks for the tip on the NPR intercoolers, I didn't know about that. I'd like to do a 2.3 turbo but I just don't have the room for another project right now.

Overkill isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, 1100 HP is overkill for a street car, but I don't think I'd mind.

A member of this site had a 5.0 with a single HX35 on his car. It was quite a beast. Site isn't up anymore though. But i think he had mid 11 time slips.

Cool! Too bad his site isn't still up. I would have liked to check it out. I loved that other guys "4 Banger" site. Quite an entertaining read. I have two turbocoupe IHIs that I wanted to use on a twin turbo 5.0 project but that will not be happening in the forseeable future. I also have a MINT E6 manifold stashed away for a future 2.3 turbo project or possible SVO.

FEP Super Member

I'm installing a single turbo set up on my 86 GT. I have the PTK street kit, T44 turbo, non intercooled, wiht all of the hot side part's coated.

I'll be installing it as soon as the SVO is out of the garage. Then I need to work on the brake's/susoension and port a set of E7's. I want all of the susoension, brake's, and drivetrain ready before I throw the turbo on it.

I'm hoping for around 400hp, and perfect street manner's. Using stock cam and no intercooler at only 9psi should give me some fast spool time's.

I love turbo's.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

What I want to do with my next project is to twin turbo a Supercoupe engine. I have a 5.9L in my F250 and I find its still 2 much $$$ too run at this time.

I hope to get great performance out of my 4banger hoping to hit the near 400 hp point with that engine... but that will take some time.
    The economic times suck... GREAT TIME FOR BUYING FOXES!!!

86 T-TOP RS, 32,000 Miles, near mint ONLY 320.00USD...

I'm installing a single turbo set up on my 86 GT. I have the PTK street kit, T44 turbo, non intercooled, wiht all of the hot side part's coated.

I'll be installing it as soon as the SVO is out of the garage. Then I need to work on the brake's/susoension and port a set of E7's. I want all of the susoension, brake's, and drivetrain ready before I throw the turbo on it.

I'm hoping for around 400hp, and perfect street manner's. Using stock cam and no intercooler at only 9psi should give me some fast spool time's.

I love turbo's.

kyle
    I agree with you on the order of a project. First hook up the brakes and suspension, then work on adding power. No point in going fast unless you can stop and control the vehicle at high speeds. Good luck with the PTK T44. I'd think a 5.0 would spool that turbo easily, and stock cams are supposedly very turbo friendly. I don't see why an intercooler would increase spool time so drasticaly that you would want to run without one. It seems that the power lost due to the higher intake temp charge would outweight a slightly faster spool, but have a go at it and let us know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by jpywell
    What I want to do with my next project is to twin turbo a Supercoupe engine. I have a 5.9L in my F250 and I find its still 2 much $$$ too run at this time.

I hope to get great performance out of my 4banger hoping to hit the near 400 hp point with that engine... but that will take some time.
    I think you will be happy with the power of the turbo 4. 400 HP will no doubt take time and money, but is certainly very attainable.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankiesaysrelax

I love turbo's.

kyle
    I agree with you on the order of a project. First hook up the brakes and suspension, then work on adding power. No point in going fast unless you can stop and control the vehicle at high speeds. Good luck with the PTK T44. I'd think a 5.0 would spool that turbo easily, and stock cams are supposedly very turbo friendly. I don't see why an intercooler would increase spool time so drasticaly that you would want to run without one. It seems that the power lost due to the higher intake temp charge would outweight a slightly faster spool, but have a go at it and let us know how it works out.
    One of the main reason's I dont have a intercooler is funds, or lack of.

One of my good friends is a dealer for PTK so I got the whole kit for less than a entry level supercharger. It's their street kit thats why it's has a T44 and no intercooler.

I'm trying to keep everything as simple as I can. Iv'e had high strung high HP car's in the past and well frankly I've out grown that kind of stuff. I dont mind sacrificing some HP for nice street manner's.

I can't help it!! I'm getting old and I have been a first time dad since last october. I would rather be able to drive to the local cruise with the wife and kid than sqeeze another 10th or two out of my car.

I'm turning into a wussy in my old age..

I set a couple of goal's for my car's.

SVO- I want 250-275 to the wheels, and to maintain the excellent handling and brake's that SVO's are known for.

86 GT- To get as close to 400 whp as I can and to get it to handle and brake as well as my SVO.

Both car's need to keep good street manner's, be able to hit a open track event every now and then and do some bracket racing.

Basicly I just want a couple of quick street car's that I can actually drive back and forth to work if I want to and enjoy with the familly.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I agree totally, street manors are extremely important. I have already begun on the engine and plan to make that my main concentration at this point. I have however already upgraded the brakes, not too as nice as I would like, but I got rid of the small rotors in the front and added a brake booster which the car origonally did not have. Since I dont plan to drive the car like a complete moron *all the time * I will upgrade the braking and suspension once the engine and body are completed.

My main reasoning for that is that I plan to have air suspension in the car and well pricing that out, its most likely going to cost me just as much as the car motor build up including the purchase of the car.

See a car that can go in a straight line fast is cool but a car that can do the same thing but take corners means more too me then pure straight line racing.

Not only is it important to have a good turbo hooked up to the right intercooler, but we have to make sure that the MAF is right, the proper #injectors are set, computer can regulate and handle the power, proper fuel pressure, not to mention a good size TB, high CFM header, head and intake.

I believe the reason the intercooler blew was because there was too much back pressure to the TB from the intercooler.

Just a suggestion for you guys, instead of buying a intercooler, look into an alcohol injection kit. SMC makes a great kit, boost activated(adjustable), and also adjustable pump speed. It works, my car survived 25 psi with no intercooler and stock injectors, and I reved it to 7000+ rpms.
    And as for an inercooler exploding, it happens, A friend of mine has a 7 second twin turbo Buick and 2 seasons ago he blew the top of a custom Duttwieller intercooler. It had two 3" inlets a one 4 1/2" outlet to the throttle body, there is no problem with back pressure there, but it still blew it to pieces. He was running 27 psi at the time. The car has seen 33psi, and Kenny Dutwieller claims the set up will withstand 45psi. When questioned about why the intercooler exploded, he simply stated "it happens, the turbos could of snorted, it could of backfired, it could of just got week over time". That car was built by duttwielller, and has seen dyno numbers over 2000 at the wheels, and has more than $60,000 in the motor. So it could happen with any kind of intercooler, no matter how much it costs.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiesaysrelax
    Cool! Too bad his site isn't still up. I would have liked to check it out. I loved that other guys "4 Banger" site. Quite an entertaining read. I have two turbocoupe IHIs that I wanted to use on a twin turbo 5.0 project but that will not be happening in the forseeable future. I also have a MINT E6 manifold stashed away for a future 2.3 turbo project or possible SVO.
    http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...threadid=28824

He posted a link to a video of his car.

that was cool!

I am ignoring that I ever even saw this thread since I wouldnt even know where to start with the corrections.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by GT350R
    I am ignoring that I ever even saw this thread since I wouldnt even know where to start with the corrections.
    then why did you post this?

on turbomustangs.com there is a bunch of threads on intercoolers. i mean A LOT of threads. i would look there, especailly in the junkyard build section
    1994 cobra- sold!
    1986 GT- still have!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12