Close

Default Adjusting the TV cable, 86 AOD

Heh, I had no idea wtf this was, as this is my first automatic.

So I completed my lifter r&r last night, car started right up, runs perfect, idles awesome.

Took her out for a spin and the damn thing shifts like its got 400,000 miles on it. Slipping and just acting wacky in general.

So i do a bit of poking around and learn about this little device called a TV cable ( throttle valve ). I noticed it attached to the bottom of the upper intake near the throttle cable itself when I tore her down and put her back together, wasnt sure what it was so I just put it back like I found it. Well I guess I knocked it out of adjustment or something.

So I found this link this morning on how to adjust it. Gunna go try it here in the parking lot in a few. http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

Anyone have any other pointers for me?
    No more 4eyes

Some crappy 90 HCI coupe for now.

stevebob100

What exactly does the TV cable do?

Basically, it controls the points at which the AOD shifts and controls the downshifts too. Too sloppy (soft) and you'll burn out the trans. Too firm can't necessarily be good either but it's gotta be better than too squishy. The adjustment tips get you in the ballpark but the fine tuning is by feel.
    1985 Mustang GT - Registry Car #4150
    http://www.mustanggt.org/photo/85allard.htm

Newsflash, actually hooking the cable up to the throttle body might have something to do with it.

DOH.

I'd still like to play with it a bit to firm up the shifts. So am I understanding it right.....if I adjust it a bit to make it a wee bit tighter at the throttlebody, it will make the shifts a bit firmer eh?
    No more 4eyes

Some crappy 90 HCI coupe for now.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronATX

I'd still like to play with it a bit to firm up the shifts. So am I understanding it right.....if I adjust it a bit to make it a wee bit tighter at the throttlebody, it will make the shifts a bit firmer eh?
    Yes. The idea is that valve produces very low pressure when the throttle is at idle, and comes up rapidly when you step on the gas.

Pressure is too low, and there's not enough pressure to get the clutches engaged properly and you get slip and burn up the clutches.

Get the pressure to high, and you'll have clutches engaged more than they should be at idle and cause clutch wear while you're sitting at a stop in drive.

There is a little leeway in there, so adjusting to get a firmer shift is possible, just so you don't get to the point where you really have to keep your foot mashed on the brake to keep the car from going forward.
    '86 GT 13.49 @ 104
    '83 Tbird TC 17.75 @ 78
    '05 Five Hundred AWD 16.95 @ 88

fordtek1

The only ACCURATE way to ck & adjust the tv pressure is with a pressure guage. There is a fine line between too low and too high. Guess too high and it won't downshift properly and can fry the clutches. Guess too low and it will fry the clutches for sure and it can happen in as little as 4-5 miles. My recommendation w/o knowing your mechanical apptitude would be to have a pro do it.