Close

Default Dyno'd The '86 Today

With just an Off Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster catback, BBK underdrive pullies, and 3.73's, I put down 198 RWHP and 271 RWTQ. Not bad for an almost stock 18 year old Four Eyed Fox Body...
    2003 Mustang Cobra
    1986 Mustang GT
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

FEP Super Member

Pretty good number's for being pretty stock.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Yeah, that's what I thought and what I was told by the guy who owns the dyno. He's got a bunch of Mustangs, between him and his father. He has an '86 as well, did the same mods I did, then added some E7 heads and a Cobra intake, put down 254 RWHP and 306 RWTQ. Went high 12's on snow tires, just with that setup...

FEP Power Member

Not to be the non-believer... But, E7 Heads, intake, and exhaust does not equal 12's on what I have seen. Even the FI roller cars..... 254 HP at wheels is believable, but not 12's....

Maybe it is just me....

Quote Originally Posted by BetterDays
    Not to be the non-believer... But, E7 Heads, intake, and exhaust does not equal 12's on what I have seen. Even the FI roller cars..... 254 HP at wheels is believable, but not 12's....

Maybe it is just me....
    depends on weight, suspension, tires. There are a lot of stock motor 5.0's running twelves.

Go the "drag racing" forum on the Corral and look for a thread called "ran my stock notch at the track tonight"

Quote Originally Posted by BetterDays

Maybe it is just me....
    Then it's just you. I've seen the car run that with my own eyes, the guy can drive it, too. It's all about the launch...

Yeah, and a stock notch with a S-Trim can't go 11s either?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins89notch5.0
    Nope, that was just a dream...it was all a dream!
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Power Member

Read the original post.

All that was mentioned was motor changes.

NOT:
    Suspension (most likely leaning towards drag suspension)
    Tires (assuming slicks or one heck of a DR)
    Weight Reduction

And believe, I browse the Corral as well.

Then again, it may be based on my definition on "runs 12's".

FEP Senior Member

it also depends on your definition of "MODs"

Some people don't call removing the front swaybar a "mod".
    Or front mini-spares. Or rear stickys.

Some people call removing the intake silencer and upping the timing and fuel pressure a tune-up, not "mods".

I've seen bone stock 87+ coupes do those things and touch the 12s. Not deep into them, but touch them.

I think his combo, driven expertly, can get into the 12s.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

FEP Member

New 5.0 mag--stock notch with an s trim--10's.
    88GT K&N, Tri-Ax, Motorsport SS headers, BBK O/R H, Dumped 2 chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by PNY XPRS
    it also depends on your definition of "MODs"

Some people don't call removing the front swaybar a "mod".
    Or front mini-spares. Or rear stickys.

Some people call removing the intake silencer and upping the timing and fuel pressure a tune-up, not "mods".

I've seen bone stock 87+ coupes do those things and touch the 12s. Not deep into them, but touch them.

I think his combo, driven expertly, can get into the 12s.
    All of those things above were common practices and many articles were published in the mags of the day. Note this is on a stock untouched long block. In addition to the "tune-up", skinnies, slicks, and the removed air-intake silencers, they also installed gears. You can believe it is very possible for your car to be in the twelves, especially once you install gears.

FEP Member

Well where should mine run?

Quote Originally Posted by MY4IDGT
    With all of the above "mods" I would hope, high twelves to mid thirteens. What does it run?

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumfts85gt
    With all of the above "mods" I would hope, high twelves to mid thirteens. What does it run?
    I should find out on Wed. I ran it stock with stock gears and it ran a best of 15.6 @ 89, but that was my first time at the track. This wed will be only my 3rd time, so we will see. New motor combo and gears and maybe some slicks and I should do alright.

My car with similar mods ran 14.1 @ 96 MPH on 2.73s in the heat of the summer. I have only ran it once and it was my first time at the strip. I got four runs which ranged from a slow of 17.xx 2 93.xx (smoked the tires getting over anxious at the line. It was my 2nd run. On my first run I got a 14.79 @ 96.xx, next best was 14.29 @ 96.xx. On my best run, which i thought was my worst, I got off the line smoothly and shifted at lower RPMs on 2-3 and 3-4 upshifts, around 5K. Our local track is open to at least Thanksgiving and I plan to get out there to get times with gears. It will only be my second time.

FEP Power Member

Where were you shift points initially? I know the stock cams runs out in lower RPM (than anticipated). My brother would run his to 6,000 grand every pass. I would turn it to 5500 and went a little faster.

When my '86 was mostly stock I shifted right @ 5,000 and pulled pretty easy 14.7s @ 95 with regular street tires. The E6 heads don't seem to make power above there, at least in my experience. Wease those are damn good numbers for you car, especially the torque
    '86 GT- "EFI 4EYE" - modded, fun daily
    '85 LX- "4BL 4EYE" - stock and staying that way

I believe on the 14.1 second run, I shifted at 5.5K 1-2, 5K 2-3, 4.5K 3-4. I have Texas Turbo "Street Killer" GT-40 heads (pocket ported), Performer 302, stock 4180C, Mr Gasket 925D recurve kit, balanced-blueprinted short block w/ TRW .030 overhaul kit and ARP Wavloc rod bolts, FMS Windage Tray. I have a full MAC 2 1/2" exhaust : shorty headers, H-Pipe w/ cats and cat-back. I want to get a few runs with this combo to see how much the gears help. Next spring I plan on getting my new carb, a BG 625cfm Road Demon, in place along with a better cam. I don't feel much pull above 5K right now. I have an E-303 on hand, but may try something else since from what I have heard it is best suited to EFI.

New 5.0 mag--stock notch with an s trim--10's.
    Yup, he posts over at the corral. Damn impressive car.

Just to clarify, I think I'd have a good shot at high 12's because I have a fair amount of track experience (my Formula runs 11's on stock heads, all motor, and it's a six speed) and I would do some weight removal as well as some drag radials and upper control arms...

Here's a good guage for you guys...

These are just the basics as far as mods when I ran my 13.1@105

-1985 Notchback 5.0
    -FRPP 302 (93-95 Cobra shortblock with GT40X heads and 1.7 Cobra Roller rockers)
    -Tremec TKO
    -Aluminum driveshaft
    -3.73 gears and a brand new LSD
    -stock suspension
    -Welds - 15x3.5 front/15x8 in the back with NITTO 275/50/15 drag radials
    -BBK polished pulleys
    -Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
    -Holley 650 DP
    -BBK full length polished headers
    -off road H-Pipe 2.5"
    -Flowmaster 2.5" cat back
    -K&N filter in the dual snorkel air cleaner assembly
    -Accell 300+ ignition system(don't like)

This particular motor from ford is rated at 320 hp at the crank which I figure is good for about I guess 260 to the wheels?

here's what I pretty much run consistently...with a stick no less...

1.85 60ft time (on a stock 17 year old suspension!), 13.18@105! I tried like hell to get that 12. Tried every kind of launch. The last time I had it at the track was at a Superstallions meet and with 5 back to back runs I just kept running 13.1 and 13.2 with pretty consistent 60ft times in the mid to upper 1.85.
    I am however proud of the fact that before the drag radials when I just had 10 holes and BFG 235/60/15 all the way around, I was able to get a 2.00 60 ft. That was when I had the stock 2.73s and just an H-pipe for an exhaust mod. The 2.00 also helped me get a 14.6 that run. The best part about it was that it was my 3rd run EVER at the track with the new motor and trans and I smoked a 1996 Vette by a half a second. My car looked bone stock. You shoulda seen his face! I was literally laughing halfway down the track out loud!!!! LOL!

Anyways, I think that my car is a pretty good guage for a few of you guys out there. I run pretty consistently and my mods are fairly mild.
    I have recently installed a new Rear with an Eaton Posi, 31 spline Moser axles, and PST Catapult boxed control arms. Unfortunately when I bought the new rear from my buddy and I do mean NEW, he had it set up originally to go in his beast with 4.56 gears! Boy does my car NOT want to hook! LOL I'm going down to 4:10s instead.

Next plans also call for Trick Flow Track Heat heads and a free E-Cam from the same buddy.

I'm sure with the above suspension and rear mods with 4:10s my car is an easy 12 second ride. That's make me happy!
    John McBride

Midnite Octane - "Fuel Your Imagination!"
    www.midniteoctane.com

Thanks, JohnnyGMachine. That was very informative.