Close

Default 79 Mustang Question

I have a 79 Mustang Cobra that is close to being finished, but I was wondering if the 79's originally came with a plastic gas tank cover, or a teflon skid plate? Also, did the 79 Mustang have the factory option of a 3 piece spoiler?

My car didn't have the plastic gas tank cover, and I think but Im not sure that the 3 piece spoiler was only available on the pacecar standard and cobra optional in 79.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

My cobra did come with the plastic gas tank cover, but it wasn't a full size one that covered the entire gas tank bottom. It was a lot smaller and only covered part of the bottom of the tank. As for the spoilers, they only came on the Pace Cars in 1979, as the Cobra's weren't equipped with them.

On a side note, do you have any pic's of your car? I love seeing these come together!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Thanks for the info. I'm getting new wheels and tires put on tomorrow cause the original wheels are 14x6. Then I'll get pictures on my personal gallery.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Default Hi

I also have a 1979 Mustang Cobra that I am currently getting all my parts ready for the restoration. I got a NOS "Two Piece" plastic shield's for my gas tank from Green Sales. They told me that 1979 had two??

I too live in Nashville and would love to see your Cobra. As far as the spoiler goes. Here is what I have heard. The Pace Car is the only one that came with the Spoiler in 1979, however it would be period correct to put on the Three Peice Soiler because it was made in 1979. I currently have a 1984 Spoiler on my Cobra that I put on in 1986. I have since then bought four "Three Peice Spoilers" and have finally found one that is perfect!

Has anyone removed the trim below the dew wipes? If so have you been able to get them back on without bending them. I have noticed that 50resto sells the ckips and I bought some.

I tell you what it is hard to find the dew wipes. I recently bought two NOS dew wipes. The passenger one was in correct Black, and the driver side was in chrome. I have FINALLY found the correct color that the trim was painted. From a spray can it is Semi-Flat black Krylon 1613 or PPG DCC-9449. I got this info from someone who has a 800 mile Pace Car.

As far as door handle holes. Mine has just one on the bottom. I found two buildsheets when replacing my carpet. I took one and laminated it and left the other one glued to the floor. My Cobra was built on 8-14-1978

One thing I have noticed is that on the Early runs of 1979 Cobra's the Sport Wheel was aluminum, and the later run was black.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
    David

Thanks for the info. I got my new dew wipes from 50resto and they were
    already black(and expensive). My 79 Cobra still has undamaged metal
    strips under the dew wipes. Mine was built on 10-24-78. I think I'm going to leave off the Spoiler, but I know where to get one just in case I change my mind. I'm trying to load my pictures on the gallery, but I'm either too comp iliterate to figure out how or I'm too stupid to do it.haha

Default plastic sheild

My '79 cobra is pretty close to all original and it does have plastic sheilds on the gas tank. It didnt have a spoiler but it has louvers.
    the standard hatch had the optional rear spoiler along with the Pace Car.
    Jake

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Actually, the 3-piece rear spoiler wasn't offered until the Pace Car made it's debut halfway through the '79 model run. It wasn't offered on any other model during 1979. In 1980 and 1981, it became a standard issue item on the Cobras only. In '82, it was carried over to the GT nameplate, where it remained until mid-season 1984.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38