Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    [
    Sorry.. My post wasnt meant as a hijack more of a comparison.. My bad.

And yes i really want a water/alchy kit. I just dont want to spend to much money on the SVO. I'm afraid that it will snowball and I'll start making mods that where not in the original plan. Thats what the lx is for.

kyle

Hey like i said i like it when it happens, i do it all the time LOL makes me feel better about it. I think if there is knowledge to gain by it then by all means lets highjack away. Besides it's easier than having like 5 threads going about the same general topic and all of us jumping around trying to type on each one and eventually they all end up in one thread anyway. Besides this was a thread about racing and we are still talking about racing hahahaha... i would hate to have to run at your elevation. Well i guess i really wouldnt; if it was what i had. Cause atleast i would still be racing. I just wouldn't want to see what my current times up there would be lol.

Now see if we weren't highjacking this thread, we would be in the forum we are in, then the body shop forum, the general BS and probably another forum all at once.. This way is much easier.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

FEP Super Member

The altitude thing is almost a good thing. It just means we have to work a little harder to match you sea level guy's. Then when we actually bring our car's down to sea level they run almost a second faster.. It's cool feeling.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

yeah I guess that coul dbe true. But I woul dhate to bring my cr up there right now and see hwo slow it goes up there compaired to how slow it goes down here LOL it's already slow enough hahaha.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

FEP Super Member

Thats OK.. The guys that i race with could care less about how fast your car is. It's all about having a good time. That and all of us have wive's and kids so it's a good excuse to get out of the house and away from work. We have everything from 10 sec car's to 17 sec V6s. It's fun and relaxing thats all that matter's.

You are building your car the way i like to do it. Start with a running car and slowly make improvements. I like the feeling of being able to track the improvements and find out for myself what works and what doesn't. I also like going fast on as many stock parts as possible, it might have something to do with the fact that I'm a cheap SOB. .

I'm really intersted in how V8only's explorer engine works out. sounds like fun and it's cheap...just like me.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Today is work on the house day, I have to cut the tree back, and finish ripping out the patio cover. COrey is coming over in his 86 to install a p/s pump and lines into his 86, and ford freak is coming over for some struts and a sway bar I'm giving him. Unfortunately, I can't play. all I have to do is hook up my lower radiator hose to go cruise, but I promised the wife this would be a house day. I was gonna pick up this explorer engine today, but it might have to wait till next week. No rush, it's gonna be a winter project, goal is to have it going by next summer, maybe earlier. I've got the funds set (thanks 50 proof ) so this is happening 100%

SInce I've got a family, my goal is to as fast as possible cheap. I see this engine as what would have happened should ford have contined to run 5.0's into mustangs instead of the 4.6. SInce I'm transplanting a "stock ford" engine, in a way, I see it as how fast can I make a stock 5.0 run, the 5.0 mustang combo that never happened. When I take the heads off to be drilled for smog, i'm thinking of doing a tmoss port job on the explorer lower, and possibly a gasket match and light port job on the heads. My buddy Tony is doing mid 13's with his 240k longblock, ported stock lower, stock heads, (stock 89 e7 headed) so my ultimate goal with this engine is mid to hi 12's n/a. I've got an extra 90 t5 laying around with a hanlon rebuild kit I've got to throw into it. I've also got a 600 mile spec pressure plate, so I'm gonna just buy a stage two disc for it, and throw it all in at once. I've already got the gears and control arms in this car, may need to throw a trac loc rebuild at it, so 12's for under a grand is the name of this game.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

The dark side of the sun but when not there Bridgeton, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by v8only
    so 12's for under a grand is the name of this game.
    Anybody remember Project Cheap Thrills that Hot Rod magazine did a few years back? I love going fast for cheap. It just blows my mind sometimes to see somebody put $10000 into their car and it runs like a dog. They got a really nice looking turd. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same thing with my ride as v8only, but I'm shooting for 13's at first.

FEP Super Member

I remember that article. They also did one on Joe Morgans 10 sec 2.3t powered pinto. I believe it was "How to run tens for 8k" pretty darn cool.

Anyone remeber "Project Pit Bull". MM&FFs 84 GT project car. That was a sweet buildup. They got that 84 GT from high15s to low 12s with E7 heads. They did every mod that most of us here want to do. E7s, 8.8, 10 1/2 clutch upgraded brakes etc etc.

I wonder what happend to that car!! It was one of my reasons for falling inlove with the foureye car's.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

i'm being optimistic on this, solely on what I've seen my buddy do with his stock mustang engine.

I agree though, I was at the track a year ago, and saw a vert running with afr 185, cobra upper and lower, and an s trim, and he was hitting hi 12's. At that time, I thought that was pretty quick, but now, that's only half a second faster than what a proper built n/a stock headed mustang engine can do. you can throw money at a car all day long, but if you can't maximize your combo, tune, or know how to drive, you're throwing your money away. This is why it will be fun to watch coupesters project too, cause I expect him to hit hi 12's as well.

This will certainly blow the minds of a lot of people running a lot more.
    Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

FEP Super Member

Sounds like you have a good reasonable goal. Stick with it. To many people set their goals to high and their car never reachs it. Then they get frustrated and give up.

You know what you want out of your car, now make a plan of attack and follow through with it. Never I mean NEVER set a time frame for a project to be completed. If you do things get rushed, you get burned out and you will end up cheating here and their on parts etc etc..

And yes you must keep the wife happy. A happy wife equalls a happy husband. Make sure you get the "honey do" projects done so when it comes time for your own projects she lets ya.

You guys gonna make it to arizona in nov???

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

The dark side of the sun but when not there Bridgeton, NJ

And yes you must keep the wife happy. A happy wife equalls a happy husband. Make sure you get the "honey do" projects done so when it comes time for your own projects she lets ya.
    For those of us that don't have wives, BE THANKFUL!!!!!!!

You guys gonna make it to arizona in nov???
    And what's going on in November?

FEP Super Member

Fun Ford Weekend at firebird raceway. V8only and 50proof are thinking about meeting me and rich down their to do a little racing and to hang out.

It's a good chance to meet a few foureye friends. Prob a little bit of a drive for you though.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Super Member

Here is a comparison between my two car's. It's really odd to look at the time slips. I know that the SVO would beat my lx from a 45 mph roll.

85 SVO mods- LA3, 35lb squirters, 3inch exhaust, open K/N, 255 pump, 17psi, AFPR, unkown cam (prob a ranger roller), stock 7.5/3.73s.

60ft..........2.163
    1/8............9.634
    mph...........73.21
    1000ft........12.550
    1/4.............15.029
    mph...........91.50

86 lx 5.0 5spd mods- fresh 306, lightly ported E7s, stock cam, full exhaust no cat's, 3.55s, performer 5.0 intake, maf swap, stock meter, 24s, no a/c no smog, AFPR, stock pump.

60ft..........2.210
    1/8..........9.352
    mph.........75.46
    1/4..........14.596
    mph.........93.89

The SVO feels faster! I dont know if thats because it's a turbo car or what.
    I would like the SVO to run the #s that the lx is currently running.

Theirs alot more in the lx. It would need more gear and a bigger maf/fuel pump. But i have a single turbo kit from PTK (still not here ordered in may) for the lx. Thats why it has the 3.55s and the stock pump/maf etc etc. All of those parts will be replaced with the required parts for the turbo kit..

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

it was fun being single, but coming home to a smiling wife and a giggling smiling beautful 4 month old makes it all worth it.

I spent the entire day today on the back yard, and I didnt' mind. Corey got his p/s pump and lines on, so his 86 is back on the road again, and slick 50 got most of the accessories bolted onto the 85 we've been working together, and all this without my help, so it was a good day.

funny thing, my friend comes over, hey your fan clutch isn't spinning. (on my vert) ahhhhhh, that's why it was overheating, doh!

setting time limits sucks, that's the only way I can finish my vert, take my time, don't stress it.

Coming over in Nov is almost 100% for sure, we've got a free place to stay at a friends local. Tomorrow corey and I head to the junk yard for his 3.73 turbo coupe rear, so by the races, it'll have that with a trac lock rebuild, bullit wheels (at least on the rear) and likely his mm adj lowers and frpp upper rear control arms, but that'll be it for the mods, it should be fun. what is the elevation over there?? I think our palmdale track is 2750, and that's pretty slow compared to our old carlsbad sea level track.
    Jeremy

FEP Super Member

Some one here said it was 1100 ft. Should be entertaining. I'm just worried about my tune. It's going to be LEAN when i get their and i need to find somewhere to re tune it... I'm hoping to have a msd 6AL, super coupe intercooler and my Ronal wheels on it by then.

Rich and I where considering racing in true street on saturday and then brackets on sunday. You guys wanna run true street? All four of us could do the cruise together. Richs cousin is going with us and he is going to run the video camera so we can make a little movie. Keep in touch.

Yeah I'm doing the dad thing today. The wife is working all day and i got the little one. My brother is coming over later to watch the football game and i think he is bringing his wife and kids. Should be fun.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I'm new to drag racing, more or less

can you explain true street???

We should be ready by then. Today corey and I snagged the 3.73 turbocoupe rear, tomorrow he gets his mm arms, and it should all go in this week.
    Jeremy

We should be ready by then. Today corey and I snagged the 3.73 turbocoupe rear, tomorrow he gets his mm arms, and it should all go in this week.
    I think true street is when you car has to be 100% street legal, you go on a ~30 mile cruise before the race, then you bracket race. I'm not sure about that though...

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Liter Mustang

I think true street is when you car has to be 100% street legal, you go on a ~30 mile cruise before the race, then you bracket race. I'm not sure about that though...
    Very close.....

You must complete the 30 mile cruise and your not allowed to touch the car in anyway. No tuning etc etc you cant even open the hood. Right after the cruise you get a 30 min cool down (cant open the hood or mess with the car except for tire pressures etcetc) then you make three back to back trips down the 1320. The average of the three is figured out and then the decide on a winner who has the best average etc etc.

Then you get to bracket race on sunday. It's pretty cool and designed for real street car's that can haul ass.. You dont need to be super fast to compete but unless you can run 9s you aint gonna win.

They have all of the rules on the web site www.funfordweekend.com or something like that.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Banned

What are the altitudes of the remaining Southern Cal dragways?

If they are not sea level or near to it ... I'll just have to trailer the car to SAC Raceway ...

I have a wife and kid as well, so i'm limite don my budget. Bu i sure have fun playing with my car. Jeremey and Cory, thankl you very much for the parts. The rear swaybar put teh fun back into my car.... Geesh it actually lifts the front a little mroe now, if yu can belive that. And the freeway ride home, the car quite wondering all over the road. You knwo where the 210 hits the 5 north? that long corenr, Ihave no idea how fast I was going through there probably 80 mph an dit was liek i was doing 55. Smooth. today i started packing my garage prepairing to move. It was sad to pack all my tools up. I have another day of packing int eh garage and then it is done. P acked everyting to be easily accessable though. Most of my toosl will be in storage. Ohh well. I am taking what i will really need with me. Anything else I can always go get out of storage. I am very sad to have to give my dad back all teh tools he has given me. That's a lot of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by fordfreak300
    Jeremey and Cory, thankl you very much for the parts. The rear swaybar put teh fun back into my car....
    sounds good about the sway bar and thank you for those lenses to put over the head lights.

BTW I picked up a 3.73 rear on sunday

prepping for paint begins tonight...
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

hey hey congrats on the rear end. I spent all day moving all the heavy tools to my dad's storage bin. I still have the toolsd that were originally mine plus all the ones i bougth along the way. The only things I will miss are the welder and the 12 ton press. Other than that i had pretty much everything else anyway. I sorted my garage back out enough tog et my car back int eh garage and I'm done for the day. Maybee tonight i'll go work on it some jmore. I still have the factory carb to finish building that I am going to use strickly for smog purposes. I'll just swap ahte carb and intake as a whole unit and be done with it for smog. After not being on here on sat, then only for a few seconds lastnight I feel liek i missed a bunch lol. Today I read a few of the posts on this thread I had missed. You guys been talking it up while I have been busy. I need to do some work on my current carb as well, I think i might get around to that this evening. i need to rejet is up a little higher. It's still al little slugish at 3,500 and above. I neeed to sort that out. I want my carb ready for our trip to the track in a few weeks. That way i will only have to do a few monor tweaks to it at the track.

Banned

Anyone know altitudes for LA area tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Coupester
    Anyone know altitudes for LA area tracks?
    I believe LACR is 2710 above sea level, not sure on the other tracks in southern california. Everyone says fontucky isn't much better than palmdale.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

FEP Senior Member

One nice thing about True Street is that there are multiple winners. They break it down into second ranges and the closest to the lower round second.

Ex. the person who averages closest to 14.0 sec win the 14 second bracket.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

fonata is a slightly lower elevation and from some friends I have in teh SVT club ran at fontana and then ran the next day at LACR and all of their runs were about 2/10s slower at LACR. So there isn't much of a difference. And i will not wait in line for hours to run my car for 2/10s of a second. Famoso is a little lower than LACR, and it is a great track this time of year. It is at al elevation of 635' in another month or swo Famoso will have a -DA... that is awesome. The track there are building in Banning has an elevation of 1,100 I belive. but they have a logn ways to go on that one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast