Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Perhaps I am missreading your post somehow.

Are you slipping the clutch on purpose for some reason to try and keep the car in the powerband or is the clutch fully engaged and slipping on its own?

If its slipping on its own then the LAST thing you need is slicks. You need a new clutch or your cable is far far out of adjustment.

If you are slipping the clutch on purpose to keep the revs up, I also do not reccomend doing that, quite frankly thats not going to help you at all.

Weight transfer isnt going to help you THAT much. I would concentrait on a bit stickier tires ( drag radials ) to help get out of the hole. Some tracks are just a nightmare to launch at on regular streetires.

What technique are you using to launch?
    No more 4eyes

Some crappy 90 HCI coupe for now.

Ill give anyone credit for gettin out there and dragn to see see what their car can do. So hell no Im not gonna knock you about the video.

Its cool to see ya in action. And your stang looks damn good Mark. Hope you get your stuff worked out. Thanks for the cli-p also...
    Joe E.

Arron the clutch was slipping on it's own in 4th gear, it was out of adjustment. i had it set to try and make it slip a little mreo for the launch as I eased off teh clutch and held the gas pedal steady. i did however do about 4 hot laps before that so the clutch was a little warm already. i let it cool down for an hour and adjusted the clutch and never had the problem again. I raced the remainder 3/4 of the day. I have a center force duel friction clutch that realyl likes to grab. it is hard to slip it on the launch. I under stand that weight transfer is only going to help me so much. But it is an issue I need to work out. I don't think the weight transfer alone is going to get my car where i want it to be. But it may get me a hair closer. I have been building my car with the brakes, then suspension then motor mods. I take it out after every mod and test that mod. This one was to test gears and i netted 1/10th of my previous best time with gears. No other changes, except I went back to stock springs. The hnest trip out will be to play with teh carb a little more and maybee change the front sruts out to get a little better weight transfer to plant the tires a little better. I'm not expecting miracles though. I really don't expect to hit any serious times until I get started with the motor work. i'm really just sort of documenting my playing with my car for everyone to read. There is another guy on here 85_capri_4v who is doign the same thing and we actually run very close times. With him being a little quicker than me. This is just kind of my way to show my mods and what gains they turned out for other people that may be thinking of the mods.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

thanx Joe... yeah I think it is kind of a funny video me running a 15.2 against a 10.71 E.T. lol But the guy in the truck is a friend of mine and belongs to the same club as I do. he is the fastest one in our club. I am the slowest. but i'm working on getting faster, and I'll keep posting my mods and what they netted me in the ol 1/4 mile for others to see.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Ahh, ok, gotcha.

Even hotlapping the car like that is no excuse for a slipping clutch. But sounds like you got it squared away with the adjustment so its all good.

What mods do you have?
    No more 4eyes

Some crappy 90 HCI coupe for now.

yeah I got the problem adjusted out. I was sorta playing with it trying to get it to slip easier off the line. This clutch is not the easiest to slip on the launch. I just need to get some stickier tires and that will help. As far as mods, I have a 91 H.O. motor, b cam, slight port work to the heads mostly on the exhaust side, performer302 intake with a holley 600, full MSD ignition, BBK headers and offroad h-pipe. Subframe connectors, 3.73 gears. 93 cobra T5 with percission(sp) cut gears. That's about it so far. I plan on changing out the struts here really soon, then getting some slicks, upper and lower control arms, 50/50 rear shocks, I am aquiring a set of skinnies for the front for free. Plans for the motor, afr 165s ported, wieand stealth intake, 650 carb, a new cam but not sure of what. I'm kind of looking at the TFS stage 2 cam. It is very close to what I am going to need. But I am also considering a custom cam as well. I am going to bore it out to a 306 and bump the compression up to 11/1. At that point in time I will swap to 31 spline and 4.10s, and C clip elimantors. Maybee a little gas for extra measure but who knows. I'll get it finished first and see how it runs.

FEP Power Member

I don't recall seeing it, but what is your 60'? 1/8 mile time and mph?
    Shift points?

Kevin

2.2 60'
    9.7@ 71.45 1/8th
    15.28@89.2 1/4

I'm shifting about 5400 1-2 then about 5200 2-3 & 3-4

Banned

we have track here in california up in sacramento that int eh winter months the DA puts it below sea level..
    SAC Raceway - best track in the state ... I ran a 14.40 @97.6 mph bone stock this past February ...

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coupester
    we have track here in california up in sacramento that int eh winter months the DA puts it below sea level..
    SAC Raceway - best track in the state ... I ran a 14.40 @97.6 mph bone stock this past February ...
    What were your short times?

Banned

2.05 on 245 series radials (not drag radials)

hey coupster have you ever ran at LACR? That is where I am doing my runs at... 2700 feet of elevation... ugh. But it's all good. keeps me on a baseline.

Banned

Never been out to LACR, I raced quite a bit and was quite well known out at Carlsbad when it was still open (poor, poor Carlsbad ). With the new firm I started with, racing will have to take a backseat for a while .

yeah that is too bad about carlsbad. I never went there as i live 20 minutes from LACR. I had wanted to goto Carlsbad, but it closed before I was able to run mycar again. You willhave to come up to LACR with a bunch of us when your work skeduel gets better. There are a few of us that belong to a local club www.socalhorsepower.com and we race quite a bit. A lot of the gusy goto irwindale and run teh 1/8th all the time and there are those of us that Run LACR, you would probably recognize a few of thsoe stangs as they were also carlsbad regulars. I also race a lot with some SVT club guys up at LACR.

ford freak, tony, my brother, and myself are all likely trekking up there within three weeks or so if you want to run. I should be getting my first time slip in my vert (it's been 6 years since I raced it....), this will be my first baseline run before I do anything else to it, I'm shooting for 15.4's at carlsbad which puts me at a 14.9, but I don't think my tired engine is capable of much any longer.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

hey you never know.. Tony ran a high 13 up at palmdale with his stock motor. you just might hit the 14s . I'm onlyhopping I finally hit the 14's i have been knockign onteh 14 door for a while now. I have my crb already done up agian and close to what I will need. i will play with it a bit at the track to get my best tune out of it again. I should be close though, and then with the looser struts maybee get some weight transfer going and I can hook a little better and hit that 14 and I'll be happy. Well happy for the moment. That is nto the long term goal for the car. But will be nice for what is done to it so far. Then onto the the suspension to really get the traction dialed in. But I have to save up for all of that. I'll give you a call after while about comming over tomorrow. i'm deffinately comming just need to figure out the times with yuo and what not.

Oh, I won't hit 14's at palmdale.

6 years ago, my car maybe had 125k miles, and was healthy as the day it rolled off the line.

why do you think I pulled all the tan interior out, tan interior looks great new. I destroyed my car, through ignorance and a lack of respect. I went literally years without changing my oil.

I am downplaying slightly, but I do hope for a "corrected" 14.9, I think that's resonable. If I get a chance, I may cruise to my 4x4 shop saturday and pick up my explorer engine.

Give me a ring, I'll be up tonight till at least 11pm. Don't call me at the crack of dawn, as I'm gonna sleep in a little tomorrow.
    Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

i'll call this evening, and I won't be there at the crack of dawn. I don;t liek to get up that early either.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by v8only
    Oh, I won't hit 14's at palmdale.

6 years ago, my car maybe had 125k miles, and was healthy as the day it rolled off the line.

why do you think I pulled all the tan interior out, tan interior looks great new. I destroyed my car, through ignorance and a lack of respect. I went literally years without changing my oil.

I am downplaying slightly, but I do hope for a "corrected" 14.9, I think that's resonable. If I get a chance, I may cruise to my 4x4 shop saturday and pick up my explorer engine.

Give me a ring, I'll be up tonight till at least 11pm. Don't call me at the crack of dawn, as I'm gonna sleep in a little tomorrow.
    That explorer engine oughta fix your 14sec problem. Make sure you let us know how it works out. Sounds like a good deal and exactly what your car needs.

I ran the SVO again tonight and sqeezed a 15.0 out of it. We are going back on the first and if it's nice and cool out i may bump the timing and add a little more boost to it.

My goal is to run 14.5s. That way i can run with the vette's, turn like a vette, and brake like a vette.

Everything up here is slow.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

that's pretty impressive. a 15.0 out there is what, a 14 in reality?? good times!!!

way out of subject here, but a guy local to me I chat with now and then that also sells parts on the side hates the look of the front end on his svo, and is trying to get me to sell him an 86 gt bumper cover and fenders. Hah. He doesn't give a damn about butchering it, oh well, what can you do??? at the very least, maybe I'll trade for his svo front end.
    Jeremy

old lx

Evil86lx,

I've seen the comment in your sig about SVO butchers being the ricers of the Mustang world. And I don't know if what I'm about to suggest constitutes "butchery" to you. But ......

Have you ever considered adding water injection to your car? That way, you'd be able to run more timing and more boost all the time, you'd be faster, and you'd no longer be at the mercy of the weather. If you want to get down there and run with the 'vettes, a water injection system should be good for a several-tenths improvement on your quarter-mile ET.

i love having my threads hijacked, then i dont; feel so bad when i highjack everyone elses thread LOL... I'm the king of highjacking threads.

On teh water injection.. that rocks. Lots of guys are starting to run it around here. it really seems to help them out.

Hey old LX a few of us are running up to LACR in a few weeks your welcome to come up and run and bring your kid with his car if you would like. If you want to I'll let ya know more on teh details as they arise.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by old lx
    Evil86lx,

I've seen the comment in your sig about SVO butchers being the ricers of the Mustang world. And I don't know if what I'm about to suggest constitutes "butchery" to you. But ......

Have you ever considered adding water injection to your car? That way, you'd be able to run more timing and more boost all the time, you'd be faster, and you'd no longer be at the mercy of the weather. If you want to get down there and run with the 'vettes, a water injection system should be good for a several-tenths improvement on your quarter-mile ET.
    Thats the plan.. Some sort of front mount and water/alchy injection. Matt Snow is local to me (Snow performance) and one of our friends doese all of his powder coating so I'm hoping to get a little bit of a deal on one of his kit's. I think I could run more boost and timing with the water/alchy kit. It may not reach my goal but i bet it will help keep head gaskets on it.

On the butcher thing... I'm not a purist, but i believe the 2.3t and SVO specific parts should remain on them.. I just hate to see people cutting up a good/rare vehicle for no reason. Theirs not that many left and i feel ( right or wrong) that the buthcer's should just leave them alone for those of us that enjoy them for what they are.

oh yeah did i mention we are 6100 ft above sea level.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by v8only
    that's pretty impressive. a 15.0 out there is what, a 14 in reality?? good times!!!

way out of subject here, but a guy local to me I chat with now and then that also sells parts on the side hates the look of the front end on his svo, and is trying to get me to sell him an 86 gt bumper cover and fenders. Hah. He doesn't give a damn about butchering it, oh well, what can you do??? at the very least, maybe I'll trade for his svo front end.
    Bandimere speedway claims 8 tenths for boosted car's. so like a 14.2 or so.

What does he dislike about the front end of his SVO????

If it's the headlights ( 84s and early 85s have the sunk in lights) i have a set of later 86 style svo headlights that i would gladly sell him. The 86 car's look alot like the aero car's with the flush mount headlights.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by fordfreak300
    i love having my threads hijacked, then i dont; feel so bad when i highjack everyone elses thread LOL... I'm the king of highjacking threads.

On teh water injection.. that rocks. Lots of guys are starting to run it around here. it really seems to help them out.

Hey old LX a few of us are running up to LACR in a few weeks your welcome to come up and run and bring your kid with his car if you would like. If you want to I'll let ya know more on teh details as they arise.
    Sorry.. My post wasnt meant as a hijack more of a comparison.. My bad.

And yes i really want a water/alchy kit. I just dont want to spend to much money on the SVO. I'm afraid that it will snowball and I'll start making mods that where not in the original plan. Thats what the lx is for.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast