Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ran the stang today at the track...

Well the gears seemed to help me out a bit. I went from a 15.3@94 as a personal best to a 15.2 @89 My mile an hour was down but I was also slipping the clutch all the way through 4th gear. I'm still having ahrd time launching the car as I can;t slip the clutch too well with this center force duel friction clutch. It just wants to grab. I think i need to get a set of slicks. I was given a set of front skinnies today that i am going to be picking up that will help in the future. My gears and track-loc worked flawlessly. I needed to play with the carb and went up one jet size and the extra power was slipping my clutch in 4th, then I adjusted the clutch and couldn't get off the line. It was great day in all. Lots of mustangs for this mustang event. I was one of two 4eyes there. I was recognized by quite a few people from a few different boards just by my car, which made me feel good. One comment was "I knew it was you cause cause I have never seen a 4 eyes car look that good" Next I am on teo the suspension to and I will have my carb sorted back out again for the next trip to the track and see if I can knock some more E.T. down. Today i sort of felt as if i was reperesenting the entire 4 eyes comunity as for 99% of the day I was the only 4eyed car amongst hundreds racing.

Edit I weighed the car today it is 2950lbs. with out me in it that was with a half tank fuel. I weighed in at 163lbs on my scale at home today.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Sounds like you had a good time dude. Glad to know everything worked well and nothing broke apart on you. Good to see your times going the right direction too. I mean you beat your personal best in one trip to the track by a tenth. Get in some good runs and get use to the new setup and youll be flamin that track up in no time!
    Did you feel like you lost a lil on the top end? The mphs were down a bit, even though you musta been a good bit quicker outa the blocks.

Just curious cuz I love to mess with these M3 BMW ***s at school and stuff. Hittin I 75 I have toyed with them hitting around 100-110 mph. Didnt wnna go much over that. Old tires on 10 holes. In my chrysler we got to 120 a few times but I had better tires on it. Thanks again freak. Talk to ya tomarrow.
    Joe E.

Mark, I'm curious as to your clutch setup, because I'm a little worried that you were slipping in 4th. The only time you can slip in 4th is if your clutch is going bad, or if your clutch is adjusted so tightely that it was constantly disengaging, and when I felt your clutch pedal a few weeks ago, this was not the case. There is a chance you may have a clutchjob in your near future.

I'll be running with you within the next three weeks or so, i'm putting the wraps on my vert today. I wish I didn't have to run at that palmdale track though, I hate that track, elevation is too high, and times are not representative of what it would be like at sea level, if carlsbad was still open
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

FEP Super Member

Elevation sucks... Try racing up here

Good to see everything working out for ya.

Sounds like the clutch is on it's way out.. It shouldnt be slipping in fourth gear and that is prob why your MPH is low.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

saephyus_misawa

hey evl86 come race here and youcar would feel like it was sufficating

actually I adjusted the firewall adjuster and the clutch held firm again for the rest of the day. the clutch was also hot from hot lapping the car. abut 5 times in a row. My MPH is down because of the new gears and also because of my carb being out of adjustment. I had my carb tuned to get me into my power band with the 3.27's and now I have no problem staying inthe power band the whole trip down the strip and there just wasnt; enough fuel for it. I started making jet changes and my Mp and times starting reflecting that. I satrted off teh day with 15.8s and so. that was quite a bit slower than i was running before, but with a few minor cab adjustments I climbed rapidly back to where i was and beyond. After letting the clutch cool down for an hour and slight adjustement on the firewall adjuster it held firm. I had been trying to adjust the clutch so i could slip it off the line easier, this was bad as it slipped in 4th gear and over powered the clutch once I went up in jet sizes and had some more power going. This centerforce does not like to be slipped it wants to grab. I think instead of trying to slip it I need to just get some 15' wheels and throw a set of slicks on it and then iI can just hit the tires hard on the launch. After that one initial run teh clutch never slipped again, i did however have tire spin again. A true testament road racing tires can get very sticky but are still not drag radials. it was still a very productive day. I consider it a success. I did accomplish what i set ou tto do and that was play witht eh car and start reworking the tune. i'm leaving a lot on the table right now with my tune. It will all be fixed soon. Jeremy on a side note i am moving 35 miles from Tony by the end of the month. so i'll be closer to you as well.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Joe i was much quicker out of the gate, and my MPH was lower, which is normal when you change gears, but the big issue was my carb was tuend to try toget to the power band vs being in it. I will be redoing teh carb over the next few weeks, I am moving in a week and half to a new house so it will be after that. But once I get the carb worked out again i'll be getting better MPH and a lower E.T. I started the day off with my tune I used for 100+ degree heat and it was barely in the 70s.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by saephyus_misawa
    hey evl86 come race here and youcar would feel like it was sufficating
    Bandimere speedway is 6400ft above sea level. I have a few mountain roads that i like to cruise (lots of fun ) that are closer to 7k feet above sea level.. Their are few places on the western side that are 8-9k above sea level..

I couldnt imagine being that much higher..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

saephyus_misawa: do you touge your stang? or do you have another car for that? If you live up in the mountains, you prolly run the downhills?

BTW: if I used 'touge' in the wrong sense, sorry. I'm just getting into the whole downhill racing. You guys are crazy!
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"

that's absolutely horrible.

I don't know what the elevation of palmdale is, but cars there run a full half second slower than at the sea level strips that are no longer open.

I got a 15.3 my first time out in my vert, not knowing what I was doing. Now that I know what I am doing, and have a handful of mods, I don't look forward to running a timeslip the same or slower because of elevation.

yes, theres the conversion. I guess I should quite my bitching for having a slow car eh? truth be told, I'm afraid to run it and see what I get. I may wind up driving straight home and ripping it apart again.
    Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

FEP Super Member

Around here if your car runs 15.5 or faster it's pretty darn quick. We are roughly 1 second slower.

Thats why i cant wait to get down to arizona to make a few run's. I dont believe it's at sea level but it's pretty darn close.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

hey my car is in tune for those elevations LOL... Jeremy i woldn;t woprry about how fast yrou car is, it;'s about havign fuin and making it faster as you go. Tony adn i are already planning a trip to the track again in 3 weeks or so so you better be ready to go, i am moving closer to you so we will drag you kicking and screaming if we have to LOL. The DA at palmdale is not so bad this time of year with the cooler weather. WHen we were there last the DA was over 5,000 which means it was like we were at 5,000 feet above sea level vs the 2,500 it actually is. A lot of guys went to fontana on friday then LACR on sunday and teh difference was maybee 2/10s of a second. That is not that bad. LACR is actually pretty good this time of year. i should have my carb sorted out tomorrow or the next day.

saephyus_misawa

I am at 6500ft and my car finally runs right for the elevation and yes its th mountanous area but there are towns and tracks built up here dont know what they were thinking so when i go back to the states ive got to retune it which is a PITA i hate doing it

marc, what city are you moving to?

dont' worry about me, three weeks sounds good. today my dash is done, my steering column is all bolted on, and the seat is bolted down. All that remains is the thermostat, hoses, and smog.

hi 14's, here i come
    Jeremy

basically hemet. But it is just a hair north of hemet as has it's own name but I can't rememer it off the top of my head and my wife is already asleep. I am going to be exactly 35.8 miles from tony's house. I am going to try to go tomorrow to get the parts I need to do up my carb the way i need to. I don"t have a few of the things i want. like a 50cc accelerator pump or a #31 squirter. I bandaided it at the track with a bigger Jet which was fine for the track but it sucked for idleing hahaha.. i need to let my secondary springs open up sooner as well. I may get a 27 squirter as well and try that out. a #27 with the 50cc pump will give me a longer duration but I may have to stay up a jet size or so than i would rather do.(thinking outloud here so any other carb guys chime on in) i'm all the way up to a 70 jet right now which is way rich at idle but great while drag racing and not so great driving on teh street. i want to drop the jet back down aned increase my accelerator shot then drop down a spring or however many required on teh secondaries to bring them in sooner.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    Around here if your car runs 15.5 or faster it's pretty darn quick. We are roughly 1 second slower.

Thats why i cant wait to get down to arizona to make a few run's. I dont believe it's at sea level but it's pretty darn close.

kyle
    Yummy smog baby!!!

1,100ft above sea level.
    2001 Cobra

You think thats good? My house here in FLA is about 15 ft above sealevel. The local track is less that that! But the hot weather kills some of the ets Im sure.
    Glad you guys are getting your cars runnin good. Nothing like a stang.
    Joe E.

we have track here in california up in sacramento that int eh winter months the DA puts it below sea level.. There are a bunch of guys heading up that way next month to do some racing. i wish i was going with them. But i'm not. Anyway i got some stuff ordered up for the carb today, they will be in tomorow.

Well while in the garage today i found an old carb i had, and so I peaked inside it and low and behol dI found the carb had 28 squirter in it vs the 25 I have in my carb, so i swapped that out. i still want to try dropping to a softer secondary spring. i have the yellow but not the yellow that allows it to open the fastest. I will try the second yellow next time at the track. I havea 31 squirter comming in tomorrow as well i will take with me to the track next time.

FEP Power Member

How does that compare to jet size?

The accelerator circut is there to help with a lean stumble, when you first start to give yur car gas or right when teh secondaries open up and when you floor it really fast and the throttle plates open up, there is a lean stumble cause by the vact there is extremely low vacume for a breif moment. The accelerator pump is manuel and not vacume controled so it helps over come the low vacume situations. i am trying difffrent accelerator squireters to give it a little extra fuel. This past tikme at teh track i gave it bigger jets to accomplish teh same thing but that's just a bandaide, I need to the fuel from the accelerator pump durring low vacume times. I need to drop the secondary springs downto softer springs to open my secondaries sooner and so they open more to allow more fuel in. the different size squirters allows for different amounts of fuel to be squirted in by the acclerator pump circut. i was not giving it enough fuel through the this circut. that added in with my secondaries not opening up soon enough. You can also change from a 30cc to a 50CC accelrator pump which provides more fuel to teh acclerator pump circut. Yu can also change the cams that acutate the lever on the acclerator pump circut and each different cam has to 2 settings on it to tailer small amounts of fuel delivery as well as the timming of when it is delivered. if I have intrugured you a bit now about some extra things yo can do about tunning your carb, get a book called Super Tuning and modifying holley Carberators by Dave Emanuel. Read it a few times so you really understand it and then start trying some of the stuff. i still go back over it every now and then to keep my mind fresh.

I watched a video today of me racing. I have no wieght transfer at all. My front end doesn't lift at all. Time to get rid of these KYB replacment struts as well. Mybee a set of 70/30s is in my near future. My carb parts are all here but i didnt; get chance to play with my carb much today. Maybee tomorow i will get a chance to do that.

I cant say too much about dragn, but I am very happy with my lakewood 50/50s on my rear. Maybe alittle harder ride than others, but nothing Id spend 300bucks to fix. ou might wanna try them dude. Im gettin front lakewoods as soon as I need struts.
    Joe E.
    can you post your run on here?

A link to the video sure, you'll get a laugh at the lighting running against me as he flys by on a 10.71@127.8mph run. http://www.j0o.com/temp/movie.mpg <---the video And yes i redlighted on purpose. The guy in the lightening is luck i actualyl let him stage before I took off lol. .036 reaction time hahha.

i am going to get some different front struts first. Probably some 90/10s to get teh front to move. i have pretty stiff rear shocks being they are KYBs and will eventually goto 50/50s but for now i am leaving teh KYBs and changing out the struts first. Then when i do the rear control arms i will add 50/50s in which won;t be too long aftre the 90/10s up front.

After watching teh video repetitively tonight i finally was able to tune the lightening out and realized I was spinning well past the tree. There is a huge part of my problem right there. I'll get the weight transfer taken care of and see what it will do after that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast