Close

FEP Super Member

Default Took the SVO to the track

Thats right folks. I took the SVO to the track. And i can say it was a learning experience. It took me three time's to get a good launch.

#1 3k launch, lots of tire spin, 2.85 60ft and a screaming 15.9 at 91. Now this is at 6k feet above sea level. So that would be like a 14.9 for you lower elavation peeps..

#2 Lower RPM launch (2500), HUGE bog, 2.6 60ft, and another screaming 15.9 (Corrected 14.9)

#3 I didnt look at the tach, revved her and slipped the clutch. 2.1 60ft, and a 15.1 at 91 (correct 14.1 or so) with no tire spin at all.

Well I'm pretty happy with that. It's like a low 14 at 96 mph or so at sea level.

Just to put into perspective for you, stock 03 cobra'a run low 14s high 13s up here. And stock 99+ GTs run high 15s to low 16s.

I'm going to be back at the track on the 24th. I need to put it back on the wide band O2 and do some more tuning.

Hoping for high 14s next time..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Power Member

Default Re: Took the SVO to the track

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    #1 3k launch, lots of tire spin, 2.85 60ft and a screaming 15.9 at 91. Now this is at 6k feet above sea level. So that would be like a 14.9 for you lower elavation peeps..
    SMOKED CLUTCH - 2.4 60', 14.4 @ 99.24

#2 Lower RPM launch (2500), HUGE bog, 2.6 60ft, and another screaming 15.9 (Corrected 14.9)
    2.7 60', 15.1 @ 98.69

#3 I didnt look at the tach, revved her and slipped the clutch. 2.1 60ft, and a 15.1 at 91 (correct 14.1 or so) with no tire spin at all.
    I wish.... a 2.1 would have put me in the 13's......

no good #$%^#$^ piece of #$^& car... (I mean, I love it)

I thought Turbos were less effected by height
    than N/A cars .

Sounds like fun .
    Wish I could go .

Hooptie

SVO = white debil.

don't get addicted.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hooptie
    SVO = white debil.

don't get addicted.
    LOL...I love my SVO. Runs like a champ, never missed a beat. Maybe I'm just lucky, or possibly I know what I'm doing.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Hooptie

nah, you're lucky. Every SVO I've run across in the midwest has been a wiring nightmare.

other than that, they're good little cars.

FEP Senior Member

Kyle can tell you that this one has had it's share if wiring demons!
    1986 (2A) Saleen #120.

Hooptie

Thats THE reason I'll never own another.

Though the thought of a 2.3 turbo 86 Coupe has been in my head for some time now...

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by svo85
    I fixed that problem..

And that was the previous owners fault(Before Randy).

I do have a ground problem at the rear tailights though.. Thats ok, I got a brand new DVOM from sears for the garage.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by svo85
    You know I'm pretty good at wiring problems. I fix 60k SUVs all day long that have 32 control units in them and a CAN bus system..

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Hooptie

what went wrong with mine:
    melted harness under the hood
    random hot wires hanging undet the dash (assumed hack for an NOS system)
    typical overheat for the floods/low beams
    at least three rolls of electrical tape under the hood (replaced over time by shrink wrap)
    interior lights randomly stopped working, only to work again after turning it off and on.
    retarded idle when EVERYTHING checked fine but the wiring

and several of those were recurring problems to go along with:
    1 dead master cylinder
    1 ripped floorpan
    random cam cover gaskets letting go
    1 head gasket
    1 damned near dead T5
    it would randomly stop starting (guess that should go under wiring) often leaving the car dead for days..only to fix itself later
    blowing intercooler tubes off

that all being said, I love SVOs to death, they're PIMP cars. But the next 2.3 turbo car I have will be home built from a 4 cylinder 85/6 Coupe.

A dragstrip in death valley woulde be sweet (save for the heat). I'm in wyoming and about the same altitude, so I'm sure my times will look like crap

Yea he launched like a punk bitch the first couple. It was like a teenage girl learning to drive a stick . But "got a grip" on it on the last run. When you breakout is a at least a good loss.

J/K, I was there once too. Glad you at least have a baseline for future sessions. I'll be there in 2 weeks with my SVO too. I hope my GT will be down due to a T5 swap.

Rich.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Evan

ahhhhhhhhh sea level 5k 8k

you ran what you ran

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RichV
    Yea he launched like a punk bitch the first couple. It was like a teenage girl learning to drive a stick . But "got a grip" on it on the last run. When you breakout is a at least a good loss.

J/K, I was there once too. Glad you at least have a baseline for future sessions. I'll be there in 2 weeks with my SVO too. I hope my GT will be down due to a T5 swap.

Rich.
    LOL! That's the funniest thing I have read in ages. Kyle got busted out!
    1986 (2A) Saleen #120.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evan

you ran what you ran
    come up here and make a few trips down the 1320.. You will be surprised at just how slow your car is.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by RichV

Rich.
    Ha Ha.. Yep it took three attampts to get a good launch. I felt like a real A-hole rookie. Oh well even experienced guys have to learn new tricks.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Power Member

I think we have all been there... Saw a few people stage on the back tires, Spin the tires (Past the stall) on the line...

Remember, Testing is supposed to be fun.... screw the lights....Who cares what the R/T is... After you go is what matters.....

I had a 1.9 R/T on my last pass....... Still smoked the car next to me...

Also, raced one mustang..... and WON!!!!!

FEP Power Member

you ran what you ran
    Although I agree with you ran what you ran, I ALSO understand differences in altitude (LOVE NORWALK!!)...

But, your tune is for your altitude... so, the car MAY not be correctly "altitude adjusted"

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by BetterDays

you ran what you ran
    Although I agree with you ran what you ran, I ALSO understand differences in altitude (LOVE NORWALK!!)...

But, your tune is for your altitude... so, the car MAY not be correctly "altitude adjusted"
    If i took the SVO down to sea level it would gain boost and go way lean. Which would equal a popped head gasket or a melted piston.

But this november i will be in Arizone for the FFW event. Thats alot closer to sea level.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Power Member

Hence the reason someone OUT OF STATE (or not familiar enough with cars, etc.) can bench tune a car...

My car is rich now (still)... It would be VERY BAD at your altitude....

I need to get my car on a dyno and determine where the power is...

It feels like it pulls strong to 6,000 (shift point).... but I wonder if I am either (A) shifting early or (b) too late (pretty good options, huh?)

FEP Super Member

LOL... Yeah you need to visit a dyno. But you better get a good clutch in their first...

I'm not sure how I'm going to tune the SVO when we go to Arizona. Pretty sure my buddy scott is going and he has a wideband O2 (LM1). So we should be able to at least set the A/F ratio..

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD