Close

puleo76

Default 86 SVO, I added turbo coupe ic & turbo xs rfl BOV==STALL

Hi guys, i have this very big problem that i dont know what to do. I upgraded my intercooler, bought a bov and got it welded on and whatnot... Now when ever i am driving my car stalls and does weird stuff that is scaring me..

Anyone have an svo w/ 88 turbo coupe intercooler and turbo xs rfl bov?

i know im not the only person to have their car stall on them w/ a bov. how does 1 fix it from making it stall??

could the hose be 2 small?
    less washers?
    i would sure like to hear your responses and pick your brains.

thank you in advance,

tom

I'm no expert on this, but from the little i read....you'll need to tighten it down as much as possible.

Secondly...BOVs are not too good for the SVOs metering system. Some have no problem, but they seem to like when the air is metered back into the system instead of just blown off.

Check TUrboFord, a few people have used the RFL
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Super Member

Screw the BOV in nice and tight as MAX stated..

BOV can mess witht the system, the VAM has metered the incoming air and expects it to be their. Then the BOV vents it to atmosphere. This could be the problem IF it is happening right after the BOV does it's thing.

You could alway's hook your BOV up to act like a bypass/recirculation valve and see if that cures it.

Otherwise are all of your VAM/intercooler hose's tight and leak free???

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Hooptie

Try putting the stock bypass back on. They are better for performance on a stick car anyway as they recirculate the boost back into the system.

puleo76

my hoses have been horrible accually, but were alright but now there is a rip in the ic to throttle body hose and it is deformed and the bottom hose is horrible.... ripps everywhre

but also i put the stock intercooler on and even before i changed it, i noticed this last night. my rpms were going from 3 or 4 steady like normal but all of a sudden it would drop to 2 rpm and my car would shutter and i put the stock ic back and its still doing it, im thinking maybe my hoses are really bad and the air is escaping and making the car trying to stall?

FEP Super Member

Any kind of air/vacume leak will mess with the system.. Get some new hoses on their asap..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

puleo76

where would i find new intercooler hoses?

any web sites or whatever, i cant find any

tom

gtluke

do yourself a favor and ditch that BOV. it will never run right un-recirculatted, and the turbo xs stuff is horrid. its like the fisher price of boost.
    run a stock 1st gen DSM valve. it will work and perform much better, and you can recirculate it.

puleo76

does that other 1 (othjer kind)make the noise. thats what i want i like how its loud. i know that sounds stupid but i kinda really like it everyone has different tastes u know?

tom

Hooptie

I could hear my stock bypass quite clearly.

I had it recirculate to just before the VAM into a piece of 3" tubing.

puleo76

can u email me a pic of what it looks like and what does the stock one look like? i have no idea how 2 do that stuff, lol

tom

the bov was hard enough

Anonymous

you can't vent the BOV to atmosphere at all, if you do, you'll have running issues.

what you need to do is have your blow off valve vent between the VAM and the Turbocharger (cycling the air back to the turbocharger)

I'd give a 99.99% gaurentee that if you fix that, it will fix your stalling issues. Remember, when hooked up properly to a vacuum port off of the intake, the BOV will be open unless the manifold is under boost - so when the BOV is open, it will also be taking in un-metered air.

--Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooptie
    I could hear my stock bypass quite clearly.

I had it recirculate to just before the VAM into a piece of 3" tubing.
    What is this stock bypass you speak of!!!
    No matter where you go, there you are