Close

Thread: Power Steering

Default Power Steering

Are there different Ford Power Steering pumps? Reverse vs/standard rotation for 79-86 cars?

-Mike

Travis T

I'm not sure about rotation, but the pumps are different depending on what rack and pinion is in the car, and they can't be mixed and matched. If they are, the steering will lock up in quick back and forth motions.

Banned

Quick-ratio racks (15:1 and 20:1) use different power steering pumps than non quickratio. Essentially, the 4cyl pumps are not the same as V8 pumps.

The above-stated comment is correct. Don't mix a quick-ratio rack with a non-quickratio pump. The pump cannot handle the hydraulic pressures demanded by the quickratio rack.

Is there a way to tell if a power steering pump is the right one then?

Did all V8 cars/trucks from around 79-86 come with the higher pressure pump?

-Mike

Travis T

No, the early Foxes did not get a quick ratio rack, it showed up sometime around 83, on V8 and 2.3T cars. The part number should tell what it's for.

Banned

The quickratio rack/ pump first arrived on 1982 GT's.

Chris

the 15:1 ratio racks were not available in the 82 GT I believe it was in the 83's at the earliest. Capri
    "At the sign of the Cat..."

My Capri is for sale. $3250 with all the parts I have for it. Consider trade for Kaw 750 Vulcan