Close

Thread: Computers

Default Computers

This maybe a little too technical here... but here goes.

I just found out that my computer for the '89 LX is not compatible with all the turbo applications and SuperChips Custom that I want to upgrade too. I was hoping it was going to be EASY to just go and find a computer in the junkyard of a TC etc...

After doing some basic research I was able to find that there are MANY different types of computers out there that have different values, such as:

E6, LB3, LB4 etc... with the new cams, heads, pistons, rods, methane injection and turbo, it should be pushing ~350 horses based on my readings and I know the amount of power the engine puts out is also restricted by certain ECU's that cant handle over a certain point. Anyone with experience?

I will post my findings here aswell as I am currently reviewing turboford.org like mad right now since I was finally accepted
    The economic times suck... GREAT TIME FOR BUYING FOXES!!!

86 T-TOP RS, 32,000 Miles, near mint ONLY 320.00USD...

check out www.turboford.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi they have a bunch of turbo experience over there.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

FEP Super Member

Get a LA3... They are most aggresive and the most popular.

You can get a reman LA3 from autozone for 90 bucks plus core. I just turned in my old N/A cpu for the core.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by rbohm
    check out www.turboford.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi they have a bunch of turbo experience over there.
    You didnt quite read my post closely did you?? thanks for the reply though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    Get a LA3... They are most aggresive and the most popular.

You can get a reman LA3 from autozone for 90 bucks plus core. I just turned in my old N/A cpu for the core.

kyle
    Perfect that answers which one I will get; Im still trying to find out exactly what the difference is. Also since I cant get down to a autozone since I believe they are limited to the USA I need to get the computer code off them so that Super Chips Custom can see if I can add their programmable chip to it. Which makes things a little bit more difficult.

Justin

FEP Super Member

If you look at superchips sight i believe they list exactly which ecu's will work with the chip. Pretty sure LA3 is listed.

If you can find one you might want to look at a PE preocessor. I would still recomend the LA3. Someone at turboford or maybe it was MFPMAX has a how to on how to wire a LA3 in.

The LA3 is set up for the larger injectors, and a intercooler. It is also widely suppoerted by some of the aftermarket tuner's ie the eec tuner etc etc.

Also you can get them from Checker. The ECU will show up painted all black and with some sticker on top of the original ford sticker. You will need to peel/scrape the aftermarket sticker off to varify it is actually a LA3. They usually just put the sticker over the top of the factory sticker.

Also LA3s come up for sale over at turboford every now and then.

later

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Yeah I was just reading about the PE and the LA3, the LA3 seems like it would provide a good deal for an affordable upgrade and the PE... $$$. Still looking into it, right now reading up on Chucks Engine Mounts.

LA3 is your best bet.

Its cheap
    Its tunable(EEC Tuner supports it).
    Easier to get(Since there are probably more 88 Turbocoupes than SVOs in the junkyards)

But don't skip over the lesser desired brothers...such as the LA2. It is pretty much the same as the LA3, but some of the programming is different, but its also not EEC Tuner compatible. But it'll still work, and would be a great back up in case the LA3 is damaged(this is why i'm keeping my LA2)

Crap...I just repeated some of that...oh well.

BTW, I have no clue how to wire the LA3 Since I got the 88TC harness...but there are a few sites that have how-tos. Such as for the Merkur harness, 83-86 T-bird harness, and the SVO harness.
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Super Member

Ha ha.. I beat you to it this time.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    Ha ha.. I beat you to it this time.

kyle
    I was bored...so I posted anyway

Also...umm...at some point the stock computer and even a chip or a tuner may not be the best at your goals...at a certain point an aftermarket setup is probably gonna suite your needs better.

I have considered the aftermarket setup, depending on the cost difference, I do want to drive this car next summer with all the gear setup in it... so If its 1000+$ for the aftermarket setup... I think I may end up passing on it unless I start making money off the car

Shouldn't have to worry about it with your current goals. At a minimum a EEC Tuner and or the chip should be able to aid you. I remember someone making a thread about a chip for bigger injectors and that Superchips made it, that may be what you'll end up going with.

Otherwise the SDS setup or the Megasquirt would be the cheapest...the Megasquirt I think can be had for $200-400 built and test...maybe less...definately less if you build it yourself. The SDS can possibly be had for cheap used.

Awesome... I keep getting ragged on about people not believing that this little 4 banger is going to eat some serious competition... actually its pissing me off. I love the fact that its a 4 banger I love the idea that its an exclusive (cult following) product and that when done right... its going to turn heads! Cant wait... muhahaha (I'll stop now)

FEP Senior Member

GT350R on Turboford has a web site that has all of the wiring diagrams for computer swap in a turbo4. The LA3 is fairly simple to do and since your car is an 89 it makes it easier (you already have an ACT sensor in the system.
    1986 (2A) Saleen #120.

Great I will take a look over there too see if I can find his site, if not I will PM him there and get the url.