Close

Default wiring harness on SVO

i keep on hearing nightmares about wiring harnesses frfom SVO owners. what exactly is the problem and is there anything to alleviate the problem, and once i get a job and saved up enough dough for an SVO for myself, what am i to watch out for on the wiring harness. what other gremelins does the SVO has that i must be comcerned about?
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

FEP Super Member

The problem that i have seen has been at the tfi module.

What ever problem their may be can be fixed. Most people are scared of wiring repairs, so dont let them scare you away.

You should join http://www.svoca.com/forum/ and ask all the questions that you want. These guys are SVO experts and their are alway's a couple for sale.

SVOs are really picky when it comes to tune up parts. Ford parts work the best.

Make sure you check out the suspension also. Dont buy anything that has worn out ball joint's. They are not replaceable.

Otherwise jusy look for a mechanicly sound SVO and you should be ok.

And here's some inspiration for ya.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

The problem I would think is the same problem with any harness...Ford...

It seems there are parts of the harness that SHOULD have a better connection but are glued together.
    No matter where you go, there you are

wrongway

why arn't the balljoint on the svo replaceable?? doesn't it use the same A-arms and balljoints as the fox cars.

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway
    why arn't the balljoint on the svo replaceable?? doesn't it use the same A-arms and balljoints as the fox cars.
    The front suspension for the SVO is specific to that vehicle and that vehicle alone...I believe.
    No matter where you go, there you are

I cant say for sure... but cant you just replace the a-arm? I have had very little exposure to that car... but I would think its at least possible.
    The economic times suck... GREAT TIME FOR BUYING FOXES!!!

86 T-TOP RS, 32,000 Miles, near mint ONLY 320.00USD...

wrongway

even with the suspension being specific to that vechicle, what prevent the balljoints from being pressed out and new ones pressed in?

FEP Super Member

They are not pressed in they are permanently in the lower control arm and no one makes replacemants. when ford had replacemants it was the whole control arm.

I have heard of people cutting the whole ball joint out and bolting a certainpart # chevy truck ball joint in but i never tried.

The ball joints are a non servicable part that was designed to last forever. But people never changed the boot and dirt gets in their and kills the ball joint.

Same style as the the FRPP lower ocntrol arm. Ford states they are good for more a million miles if you maintain them.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD