Close

Thread: Rear Hatch

Default Rear Hatch

Question 1: Did the rear hatch ever come with a rear wiper. If yes, can it be installed on one that didnt come with one?

Question 2: Rear defrost, only the middle lines work, the rest seam dead? Does the window need replacing? If so, anyone got any ideas how to test one in a junkyard?

Question 3: My hatch did not come with the electric trunk pop button, I want to add it, anyone done this before?

Thanks!
    The economic times suck... GREAT TIME FOR BUYING FOXES!!!

86 T-TOP RS, 32,000 Miles, near mint ONLY 320.00USD...

Yeah mines has an electric latch /release I didn't do it though my dad did I suck with electrical stuff but you can wire up the electric trunk latch from lincoln I guess mine orginally had the electric latch cuz I had the button for it already in the car I'll ask him some particulars when I get a chance and tell ya exactly what he did if I can comprhend it.

i've seen some VERY early mustangs with a rear window wiper. It's a very strange setup. Its an arm that pokes through the center bottom of the hatch, then has the motor strapped to the bottom side of the hatch. The whole shebang is covered by a big black panel over the bottom of the hatch. In all my junkyard hunting, I've only seen two of these, and tripped out when I came across my first. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to adapt your hatch if you can find the parts. At a minimum I'm sure you'd have to drill the hole for the mechanism arm to slip through.

If you can go to a junkyard, and hook up a battery supply to the rear hatch wires in a junkyard, they should come on, just like your car. My suggestion...go to a junkyard on a cold day with a heavy battery. Maybe you can repair yours, I don't know how though.

Trunk pop probably can be added. It's just a pop solonoid, maybe different latch with the wiring and a button. I'm sure someone will post up on that.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

My 86 came with and electric hatch pop, looks like it's the same idea as an electric trunk pop....If that helps at all...
    Calon

1985 LX Notchback (Project)
    1995 Mustang GT (In For Color Change)

They sell grid repair kits .
    You need a tester to find the breaks .

My 79 had a rear wiper .
    The hatch was badly rusted out .

Now I don't run one .
    It must of had a squirter .
    I had a washer fluid bottle back there .
    I never filled it .

There used to be a chemical in the parts stores that you could brush on the defrog wires that would complete the circuit. They are easy to test.

Take a 12V test light and ground the end to a known good ground. I always use the hatch lifts because most of the time that is where they ground anyway. Lightly touch the grid and note the light. On a working grid line it will be brighter on one side and slowly dims further down the path. On one that isn't working it will be very bright until you find the break. Once you find the break mark it with a crayon and then go to the next line.

I am not sure if the chemical is still available I know I need some too

Keep us posted, OH and if you find the chemical/repair kits post to us the brand name(s) and the part store i.e Advance, Car Quest, NAPA etc.

Capri
    "At the sign of the Cat..."

My Capri is for sale. $3250 with all the parts I have for it. Consider trade for Kaw 750 Vulcan

i know that the wiper hatch was available on the 82 GT... Mikejb has one IIRC

Paul86gt

Default my experiance

I lucked out with my 86 it has a rear defroster and a electric trunk release. The luck comes in, that when I bought my car some idiot has ripped of the cd play the other owner had and when they did they just cut every wire under the dash, it took me weeks to figure out where it all went. some luck. Paul86gt.

FEP Senior Member

Yes sir my 82 has the rear wiper. Everything still workin. My first 82GT had it as well. I guess you could install a rear wiper. I have seen a couple hatches on ebay with the wiper. Also seen in separate auction for the complete wiring.
    Are you planning to have the squirter and resovour (sp)?

As for the rear defrost one thing to check for is if both sides are plugged in. Also if the two plates that you plug them into are still intacted.

I had a 89LX hatch 5.0 that had the hatch pop thing. There should be quite a few in the boneyards 4poppers or 5.0 that you can get all the hardware you need.
    1986GT C9 351W. T-3550
    Inner & Outer subs
    Griggs GR40 Suspension
    Panhard bar & Torque arm. Tub Kmember and A-arms.

1982GT w/rear wiper

http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/82...d/MVC-558S.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/MVC-001F.JPG

Great! Thanks for the feedback. I guess first thing will be to check the electrical contacts, then I will see about the connectivity of the grid.

As for the hatch pop, I will take a look at the wreckers, since I am building a complete custom scratch wiring harness for the car I am sure I can run the pop, plus I have to wire the rear break light for the spoiler still aswell.

As for the wiper... I will first try a spray that should help repel water from sitting there when it rains or snows... its damn hard to see anything when it rains or snows.

the product for fixing the defroster grid is made by permatex. all the chain parts stores carry it,just make sure you clean the repaired spot really well before you apply the stuff.

Sweet, will be checking that out for sure! Not this weekend but next for sure.

Man, I would really like to see a pic of a rear wiper on a hatch. mikejb: wanna' post one?

Thanks
    Rocko
    ===============
    85 Capri GS 2.3L (Flooded by Katrina)
    Please sign my Guestbook!!>>>
    http://members.cardomain.com/rock007

FEP Senior Member

comcast has updated this and that and blah blah. I used to know how to up load crap. PM me with your email addy and I will send ya a mpg of the wiper in action.
    1986GT C9 351W. T-3550
    Inner & Outer subs
    Griggs GR40 Suspension
    Panhard bar & Torque arm. Tub Kmember and A-arms.

1982GT w/rear wiper

http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/82...d/MVC-558S.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/MVC-001F.JPG

FEP Super Member

I believe that the rear wiper was a option, alot of east coast car's had them.

My new pace car has the rear wiper.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    I believe the 1979 Capri had it as an option except with Louvers:

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...ctsBook_19.jpg

-Mike
    Thats what i understood. Same thing for the pace car's.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Im going to be adding one, it may not be stock, may have to make one custom using parts from the front (ie motor etc...) but we will see how it goes, I have till november to get it done.

Justin