Close

FEP Member

Default Mach 1 Chin Spoiler Install

Ok everyone, I got the spoiler on this morning. Here is how I went about it: There is a center hole in the spoiler, mine had 3 of the plastic push in holders (what are those things anyway?) I went from the center of the bumper cover, one of the lines in the bumper cover was a great reference. Note the push pin I was talking about in the center.

After that, I followed the holes in the spoiler itself, pushing and making flush as I drilled new holes, then just held it in with regular bolts, washers, and lock nuts from the local hardware store. As you start to get toward the side of the car, you need to trim about 2 1/2" off of the end of the spoiler or it will not clear the tire.

Place the spoiler back up on the car, and make a couple of slices in the spoiler to allow it to make the turn.

After all the triming is done, put it back on, make a few last minute trim adjustments, just to make it neat. Which for me ended up being about another 1 3/4" trim off of the end.

Here is the finished product, what do you think?

jazzcat2001

you need to go back and in your post you have [img] url [img]

needs to look like this

[img] url [/img]

just looked at your album...that looks sweet...need a picure where it isn't in a shadow but i think it looks damn good

82caprittops

WOW looks awesome man...ur lucky to have a car that people on this site dream about for example...

very cool man, very cool......cant wait to see the new belts in there hahaha
    john

Very cool.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Whoa, I was just talking to someone about the Mach 1 chin the other night.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Very nice. I was wondering how 5.0 Resto made the Mach1 spoiler work on the car in their ad when I saw it last month. I had been wondering if it could be made to work for a long time before that. Thanks for the post and the step by step how tos.

well, your install is so clean, I'm having troubles here.

Did you swap on that whole lower half of the bumper??? looks like a bottom half of an 86 gt bumper with extra slats

thats from a mach 1? what years?? pictures?
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

FEP Senior Member

Um... He's talking about the black strip at the bottom of the bumper cover... It's the Chin Spoiler from the New Mach 1's

BTW looks sweet... Nice job and a great post...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

doh!!!!
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by v8only
    well, your install is so clean, I'm having troubles here.

Did you swap on that whole lower half of the bumper??? looks like a bottom half of an 86 gt bumper with extra slats

thats from a mach 1? what years?? pictures?
    No, the only thing I did was bought a used spoiler off of a guy from Delk Performance, (Who is down the road from me Woo Hoo! !) and just did a little bit of triming at a time to get it to work. I am pressuming that it was an 03 Mach 1 spoiler (if that is what you were refering to on the year) Thanks for the compliment by the way. I did end up having a few waves in it that I will be going back a tweaking over the next few days.

mfpmax, Your comments on the car the other day is what made me get off my lazy butt and go ahead and git-er-done, and I thought that since I hadn't noticed anyone posting anything like this, I would just document it and share after the interest the other day.

As I said the other day, I saw that car at the 40th, and fell in love with it. I love my car, and think I will enjoy it more than the 84 T-Top GT that I had as a project car. I love the look the little kids give it when they say " Is that YOUR car?"

I do miss my Black 97 GT, but I wouldn't trade the anniversary car for it ever. By the way, I know this is afour eye site, but I did love this car, and do miss it very much, so here is a pic of it.

FEP Senior Member

You get them (Mach1 Spoler) at 5.0 Resto

http://secure.50resto.com/product1.c...tegory_ID=1103

I think I might have to try it too...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat2001
    you need to go back and in your post you have [img] url [img]

needs to look like this

[img] url [/img]

just looked at your album...that looks sweet...need a picure where it isn't in a shadow but i think it looks damn good
    Hey man, I tried to go back and edit the post, it was set up like what you said to do. I think I might know what happended, give me a few, and I will see if I can fix it.

By the way, tried to get it in as much sun as I could, but I took the pics at high noon. I will try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTWannabe
    mfpmax, Your comments on the car the other day is what made me get off my lazy butt and go ahead and git-er-done, and I thought that since I hadn't noticed anyone posting anything like this, I would just document it and share after the interest the other day.
    Well this made me go check on a local guy that messed up his front end and was selling his Chin spolier...but its spoken for.
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    Well this made me go check on a local guy that messed up his front end and was selling his Chin spolier...but its spoken for.
    If you have a Mustang shop locally, check with them. I think 50 resto has them for $59, I picked this one up for $15 after a little negotiation. It did however have a few scuffs on it, but nothing bad, and they are hardly noticable when gooped up with your favorite shine-em-up stuff. I thought that I would just buy that one, since I figured I would screw it up the first time, so I would rather scrap a $15 one instead of a $60 one, know what I mean. I just lucked up, took my time, and got it right on the first shot.

Wow that is very nice. I have been on the look for a front spoiler for some time now for my 85gt. I thought about the splitter spoiler made of aluminum. thought about the front air dam spoiler that "Mac Performance" has, but now this. And it looks so clean. I might just whip up $60 and go for it. Really sets the front off nice and looks like its suppost to be there. NICE WORK!
    Joe E.

that looks real good, nice 97 too by the way
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

Malleus Banificarum

Definitely an archive worthy post. Thanks for sharing! If the nose of my car weren't so low, I might try that...hmm...I probably ought to raise it up a bit more anyway...hmm...

FEP Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone (especially on the 97 with this being a four eye site). Someone by the name stage x asked me if he could use it for his clubs website (which just tickled me to death). I am just glad that I had something that could contribute to the site. Maybe something else will come up.

ohh man that looks awesome. I was lookign for something to do to my front end and that may be what it is. I love how that looks on your car. Nice job.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.