Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    saephyus_misawa

how about the wheel locks that the cops have when you have to many parking tickets im sure some one could build them as a anti theft device that probbally stop a lot of steals just a thought

my 67 Camaro Red with black rally stripes, black vinal interior alll original. . . . was stolen with a flatbed. . . In my Mustang before the crank snapped I had an on off switch on the dash (car was previously stolen) so the on off switch was the master power, but I used the gas lid switch as my starter, and just ripped out the locking stuff for the gas cap. Worked much better than using a screwdriver to start it. In my Scorpio (had also been a stolen car), I'd just pull out the whole ignition switch (in back of the key in the colum). F***ING THIEVES. . . chances are I'll never see my Camaro again, or a single penny out of it, ever. And my Mustang was attempted stolen but they couldnt get it started (dint know the gas cap starter :-D) Any one think of using a floor mounted brights switch?
    84 SVO, 79 Pace car (fuel injected and IRS), 99 Cobra

oh yea, and those wheel locks are called the boot haha.
    84 SVO, 79 Pace car (fuel injected and IRS), 99 Cobra

FEP Senior Member

well when i mounted my battery in back i put the starter solenoid back there too. so i ran the positive cable threw a moroso kill switch. instead of drilling some goudy hole in my taillights or license plate. i used nylon washers 1 inch long to space out my license plates and make it even with my taillights (79-82's), and mounted the kill switch so that i could easily reach it with my finger to flick it on or off. also i have a Grant removable steering wheel kit. and another ignition kill switch on my MSD 6AL, i hooked it up and placed the switch in the glovebox. so when you try to start my car its dead. you get the main switch and you have no ignition, if you get that switch you have no steering wheel.

another good idea that police cars use. ever wonder why you cant take it out of park if its running and they just got out? they have a hidden switch similiar to the bright on/off switch on a old Ford truck or van, the floor mount click thing. its underneath the carpet though. and you could wire your neutral safety switch threw that so that you had to step on it before your car would "sense" that its in neutral.
    1973 Mustang Sportroof 5.8C
    1974 IH 1010 6.4L
    1983 Crimson Cat 5.0L
    1985 LTD LX 5.0L
    1986 SVO 2.3T
    1989 Mustang Coupe 5.0L

OrangeLefty

Im so paraniod about my cars being stolen. I have 2 clubs, one for my prelude and one for my mustang. Even though i appluad the theive that gets that stang moving...

When i still had the stang in mind for a daily driver i used hood locks to protect people from tampering under my hood and i was very close to buying a killswitch. Thieves are mostly lazy and locking for an easy target. If your car wont start and youve got hood locks, most of the time they'll walk away fomr it, not wanting to do too much work. Although you gotta be careful with that, they might get intrudged as in what your trying to hide...ya know.

One good tip to hlep prevent from tow truck stealing is to club your car with the wheels turned. Dont follow the drivings shools way of always backing in, pull into a stall with a wall facing your front. If the ppl try to stela using a tow truck the club will help keep the wheels locked in a turning posistion, they'll only be able to tow in a cirlce :P

FEP Member

The problem with the club:

A set of bolt cutters or a hacksaw...cut the steering wheel...and voila!

no more pesky club.

The turned wheel suggestion is pretty good though.

I've made a few of these mods to my '79 RS Stroker. Even though it hardly ever sits outside anymore, I did these to ease my paranoia! That car has almost 20 years of my life in it!

I've moved my battery to the trunk, and installed a cut-off switch as required by the racing bodies. I used the Flaming River switch that has an arm that extends through the rear tail light panel. But... I leave that arm off, except for when I'm at the track, so you have to open the hatchback to turn on the power! That is, if you even know there's a switch back there. Because, see, I've also installed hood locks. So, if they get in and realize there's no power, they can't even open the hood to find out the battery isn't even under there. But let's say they do figure out the battery switch, I've got a back-up plan. I also have an electric fuel pump and when I installed it, I rigged it up with a power switch under the dash. You have to flip this switch to turn on the pump. So 2 miles down the road, it's dead and they're so pissed off from the aggrevation, they just walk away!

Hopefully!
    ~Scott

~1979 RS, 396 Stroker Windsor, Tremec, 3.55 8.8, big brakes, 6-point cage. Way too much to list!
    ~1985 GPIV, under restoration...
    ~1995 Eddie Bauer Bronco w/ minor mods.
    ~2006 Yamaha R1. Stock, and the fastest vehicle in my garage!

FEP Senior Member

Here are a few suggestions:
    2004 Anti Auto Theft Devices

LMAO!!!
    2001 Cobra

What about those steering wheel pullers? I have seent hem advertised. Its a system that bolts between the steering colomn and the wheel. When you leave, you pull off the steering wheel and take it with you. My main concern is the amount of space it woul make from the steering colomn. It seems it would push the steering wheel out a few in from its current local. Ever seen this?
    Joe E.

simplicity:

pop hood
    pop distributor cap
    remove rotor

Done. Rotor fits in ANY pocket and is lightweight.

How many thieves carry a selection of distributor rotors? Not many... the car will NOT start at all without the rotor.

Removing an ignition coil does not do anything at all - most Mustang 5.0's can run on 7 cylinders... Icoil wire missing? Just remove a spark plug wire, jumper the ignition coil to distributor and the thief is as good as gone - and you have an extra igntion coil wire now in your pocket...

Piece of mind:

www.lojack.com

I can't stress that deviice enough. I had it in my prior 1996 Cobra and it gives total piece of mind. It is not an alarm system, but a recovery device with a 98% success rate to date.

Most states within tht 48 Staes will give up to 25% discount off your insurance policy for having this device in your car. In NJ, i was gettingthe max alowoable discount, which was the 25% per year. Sure, does not sound like much, but supose that portion of your policy is $500 - 25% off of that is $125.00 you are saving at every insurance renewal... Over time, it adds up quick. the LoJack unit is only $500 at most LoJack dealers, and this includes installation.

Once installed you get a form to fill out for your insurance company (a certificate) that proves you have the device installed. You also get a VIN ID card that has your VIN # on it in the event of a tehft occcurance (not many people know their VIN #'s by heart). The system is also LIVE 24/7 - no matter what. if you battery cables are cut, the system still functions and emits the proper signals. If you ever decide to sell the vehicle, LoJack is 100% transferrable to the new owner (they haeto contact LoJack and provide the approriate documents), so it is a good selling point too.

LoJack's new system also has a paging feature which will eiather call any phone number you assign it and if I remembe corretly, it can also page or email you too, in the event you car is being used by a non-authorized individual. There is a key fob now with this system and the vehicle cannot be started without this keyfob.. Another great idea by LoJack! if the car is started or tampered with without the presence of the keyfob, it immediately notifes you via the method you chose that you vehicle IS being tampered with.

I recommend that system to everyone on any car forums. What's better, a $500 alarm system that chirps, buzzes, talks and everyone around it just ignores it (pure facts too...I'm sure you too have ignored car aalrms blazing in parking lots, etc) and coming back to a vehicle that is GONE - or a system that once activated by a phone call to the Police, they can immediately track your vehicle and locate it?

Fuel or ignition kill is the BEST preventive measure against car thieves.
    - Phil
    1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13 and 2018 Mustang EB Premium w/Perf Pack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12