Close

Default Drivetrain for SVO....TC parts?

If I can aquire an SVO I am trying to buy I will need some major parts. Basically, it is missing everything but the rear end. I know where there are a couple of Turbo Coupes at some local yards. What parts should I pull from the dead birds.

I know the obvious: engine, tranny, turbo, intercooler, etc... My question is about the small stuff. Should I get the computer, wiring harness, what else....

Please help!
    2002 F-350 4x4 PSD
    2000 Excursion 4x4 V-10
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0
    1984 SVO
    1982 Capri I-6

FEP Super Member

Grab a 87/88 turbo coupe puter and motor trans. This wont be the correct turbo. But the ecu in these t birds is alot better than the stock svo ecu.

Also check out turboford.org. Their are a bunch of us here that post at turboford that can help you but if you do a search at turboford.org you will find alot of answers to your questions.

Also check out svo club of america. You shuld find alot of needed parts their and i'm sure you will get alot of help once they here about the SAVE.

http://www.svoca.com/forum/

http://www.turboford.org/index.shtml

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I won't know for sure if I can buy the car until sometime later this week. I will let you know.

I will check out the sites you listed about the parts. Man, I don't know if I can purchase the car yet but the wheels are already turning.

Assuming I can get it I am going to need a bunch of help with the technical stuff. The car is pretty torn up. You can see pictures of it in my album.
    2002 F-350 4x4 PSD
    2000 Excursion 4x4 V-10
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0
    1984 SVO
    1982 Capri I-6

The only real specific SVO parts are external and suspension. ECU is about the only thing that I would "might" try and get, but the 87/88 ECUs are almost as good.

Other than that, what is listed above.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Cool!

Any tips on pulling the wiring harness off of the TC. I will need one for the SVO but imagine it will be a pain to take off.
    2002 F-350 4x4 PSD
    2000 Excursion 4x4 V-10
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0
    1984 SVO
    1982 Capri I-6

I just got back from lunch. While I was out I decided to walk through a junk yard around the corner. They have just got in an 85-86 TC. Is the engine and trans more desirable from the 85-86 or 87-88.

So far, If I understand correctly the head and longblock are the same.
    -The turbo on the 85-86 is better.
    -The intake and exhaust manifold on the 87-88 is better.
    -The tranny on the 87-88 is stronger.
    ***How do I ID this stuff to make sure they are the correct parts?

What else do I need to know? Which computer and wiring harness is best?

This 2.3T stuff is all knew to me but i am a quick learner.

Thanks for the input!
    2002 F-350 4x4 PSD
    2000 Excursion 4x4 V-10
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0
    1984 SVO
    1982 Capri I-6

FEP Super Member

Motor is the same...

If it's non intercooled it's a T-3.

Early t-bird harness would prob be better, newer ones had air ride and abs. You dont want that stuff.

I've heard that the easiest to use (harness) is one from a Merkur. Not positive but i had heard once over at turboford.

86 intake will work the best, you can use the stock style valve cover. The newer intake that sais "2.3 fuel injection" requires the use of the (87/8 valve cover and fuel rail. 86 t-bird can be ported etc etc and use the tall valve cover.

You want a Exhaust manifold with a E6 part #

Not sure on the trans, you could prob use any turbo coupe trans but the newer ones are supposed to be world class T-5s.

Try this link also.

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=8704

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    Early t-bird harness would prob be better, newer ones had air ride and abs. You dont want that stuff.
    This is only part correct. For one, the Air ride and ABS are nothing to worry about as they are not part of the engine harness, they may be wrapped up somewhere along the line, but are not part of the engine harness. There only only 3-5 connections on the engine harness that aren't part of the actual engine operation.

Also, as pointed out by GT350R I believe, the early T-bird harness is not the best in terms of quality.

Also, the Merkur harness is "said" to be the easiest harness, but as mentioned above about the 87/88 harness, I believe that is what scares people off. My harness was only the engine harness, and was a drop in ordeal only requiring about 3-4 power wires to hook up. My experience is the core 87/88 harness is the easiest harness.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    This is only part correct. For one, the Air ride and ABS are nothing to worry about as they are not part of the engine harness, they may be wrapped up somewhere along the line, but are not part of the engine harness. There only only 3-5 connections on the engine harness that aren't part of the actual engine operation.

Also, as pointed out by GT350R I believe, the early T-bird harness is not the best in terms of quality.

Also, the Merkur harness is "said" to be the easiest harness, but as mentioned above about the 87/88 harness, I believe that is what scares people off. My harness was only the engine harness, and was a drop in ordeal only requiring about 3-4 power wires to hook up. My experience is the core 87/88 harness is the easiest harness.
    Their ya go. Some one thats had one apart and has a good idea of what you will need.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Sweet!!!

I hope I can get the car so i can resurrect it!

Thanks fr all the info. I knew you were the guys to ask!
    2002 F-350 4x4 PSD
    2000 Excursion 4x4 V-10
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0
    1984 SVO
    1982 Capri I-6

FEP Super Member

No problem.. Two of my friends that post here also have turbofords. So if you need any pics or whatever just ask.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Their ya go. Some one thats had one apart and has a good idea of what you will need.

kyle
    What are you talking about, I don't have a clue what I'm saying...don't get me into trouble!!!

FEP Super Member

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD