Close

Default ET 1/4 mile times 85 Mustang / Capri

Does anyone have any articles or reviews from then the 85 $V's came out on their straightline performance? Just wondering what ET & MPH should be on a bone stocker. thanks Capri
    "At the sign of the Cat..."

My Capri is for sale. $3250 with all the parts I have for it. Consider trade for Kaw 750 Vulcan

1/4 times were around 15.9-15.7 secs. Not sure on the MPH.

Here is the site I found it on.

http://web.missouri.edu/~apcb20/times.html

Does anyone have any articles or reviews from then the 85 $V's came out on their straightline performance? Just wondering what ET & MPH should be on a bone stocker. thanks Capri

$V = 4V

Thanks for the update.....has anyone run their stock 85 down the 1320?

My Capri is for sale. $3250 with all the parts I have for it. Consider trade for Kaw 750 Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    1/4 times were around 15.9-15.7 secs. Not sure on the MPH.

Here is the site I found it on.

http://web.missouri.edu/~apcb20/times.html
    Those don't sound quite right. An 86 gt bone stock is capable of putting out 14.6's or so in the quarter. The 85's had slightly more hp, but slightly less torque. a 4v gt in 85 should be good for 14's with a good driver.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I think these numbers can be greatly affected by many factors. I took my 94 GT 5 speed right off the showroom floor and to the local 1320' (nothing like breaking it in, right?) and clocked 14.3's all day and night long. I now am fortunate to have picked up an untouched 85 GT and the only non factory pieces on there are some Flowmaster mufflers, as the factory ones were junk. Maybe I will run it down there and make a few passes just for curiosity sake. However, I don't think I'll be powershifting this car like I did the last one. From what I hear, the 7.5's don't appreciate that too much.....
    1985 Mustang GT - Registry Car #4150
    http://www.mustanggt.org/photo/85allard.htm

My best bone stock time was 14.78 and this was even before I knew how to set my timing. After a little bit of learning about cars, I got it to 14.48. Keep in mind, this was in 1987 and my '85 Mustang was practically brand new and low miles.
    1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc
    2001 Audi S4 Avant

I'll double check after work, but I believe Hotrod tested one and ran 14.89 @89MPH (not sure on MPH). That is the best time I can recall reading. Most other mags were in the low 15s on their 1/4 mile tests. Cars can vary a bit from the factory and however long they were in the media test fleet. I can believe the faster times experienced by the other guys.

Mt 85GT ran 14.89 @ 94 mph and my 85 capri ran a 14.77 @ 94 mph.

Of course they're much faster now!
    85 Mustang GT
    85 Mercury Capri

maverick0716

The numbers I've seen from magazines are usually 15.5 @ 90 mph for the 5 speed. I'm not saying they can't do better than that because I know they can, but for the average joe who just races it (most likely with a less than stellar launch) and doesn't powershift those times seem about right.

FEP Super Member

The best i ever got from my STOCK 85 GT was a 15.9 up here (6k above sea level) which would equal a high 14 at sea level. Never even got close to getting out of third gear.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Agree with Kyle 3rd gear is all you get with stock rear ratio

FEP Senior Member

When the motor in my 82 had the E5 heads and intake the best I could muster was 14.8 @94mph. She ran consistant low 15's tho. That was with off road exhaust and putting a buk80 to the wheels and 237 torque before the head and intake swap.

Now when my 82 still had the stock motor in the only mods I did was install a full stock headers to tailpipes 92 LX exhaust system. Everything else original down to the clutch and 93k miles in 1997. 15.8 @88 mph!! LOL not bad for a 2brrl and junk srod.
    1986GT C9 351W. T-3550
    Inner & Outer subs
    Griggs GR40 Suspension
    Panhard bar & Torque arm. Tub Kmember and A-arms.

1982GT w/rear wiper

http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/82...d/MVC-558S.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/MVC-001F.JPG

Mike Croke

When my brother took his '85 GT 'vert to a track back in 1989, he could get 14.9 @ 88 out of it. That was untouched except for a K&N filter and Michelin tires.