Close

outurbo79

Default 79 turbo car carb

I've got a 79 turbo pace car and have been thinking about either going to a turbo efi setup or using a throttle body injection such as a Holley Projection system. Going efi would proably be better but it would involve a LOT of changeover where a TBI would be a bit simpler, I'm not looking for a lot of HP gain. eventually I hope to get about 200hp out of te car. I'd like to upgrade the fuel delivery system, bump up to a better cam and find a way to up the boost to 12-16lbs. dont really think the way I am thinking about doing it will work but I hope to keep the car looking mostly origional.

Travis T

Talk to Snoopstang over on Turboford, he had a carbed turbo that was turning some wicked quartermile times. He may have some good tips for you, if you want to leave it carbed.

FEP Power Member

His car was HEAVILY MODDED. If your just looking for 200hp I don't think you'll have to go crazy. However I don't believe you can run that much boost with that type of settup. I have the exact same car and was thinking the exact same thing you probably are right now and decided to put a sb in mine. I even had everything from a parts SVO to do the EFI swap. The carb style settup you have isn't very cost effective $/hp and thats why you don't find much info on how to do it. I would suggest ditching that engine and either going with one from a turbo coupe or SVO if you want to stay 2.3 or throw a 302/351 in it. Figure you can go get a sb for under a grand and be over your 200hp goal and still have a lot of room to grow, or spend a chunk trying to get that out of the carbed settup and not have much room at all to grow.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

Do you still have the parts to do the efi swap? Wanna get rid of them?

FEP Power Member

Well I sold them to my brother (WHO HASN'T PAID ME FOR THEM) for $100 for everything. He might want to get rid of some of it. His screen name is Evil86lx or something like that.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe