Close

Default Ignition schematic

Ok techies I really need a schematic of the (keyed) ignition switch for a 83 GT 5.0. specifically my starter engages as soon as the key reaches the "on" position, and then stays on even after the engine is running. I want to try putting the starter wire on a seperate switch so I can turn the key on, and then engage the starter. If this works then i know i've isolated the problem and can fix it. Thanks, also any other ideas are certainly welcome.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

Doing what you want to do sounds like more work that is necessary. It sounds like either your column mounted ignition switch is out of adjustment OR defective. On older Ford tilt columns I have seen were the metal rack gets roken and can cause ignition switch engagement problems but I have never had one of the fox body columns apart.

This is what I would do if it were me. I would lower the column down and unbolt the ignition switch. Then manually operate the switch. There is only 4 positions, accessory, OFF, key on engine off/run, and key on engine crank ( or feel power to the starter relay/solenoid. If when you hit the 3 position the engine cranks inspect the wires going into the switch closely to see if any appear burned or fraid. Smell the wires and switch for burned electircal smell. If it does not duplicate your problem look into the column. If it does duplicate it try a known good switch.

Report back soon, thanks Capri

at this point every component of the starting system is new,....even the switch, this is why I want the schematic.
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

likda85gt

Go to www.autozone.com the repair section, key in your model and year, then chassis electrical, then wiring shematics. What you want to do is easy and that site has all you will ever need to know.

thanks to those who helped, got the schematic, so once I knew what was what, I replaced the wires that shorted together, and got the car back to business, took all of 10 minutes, easy as pie.
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold