Close

jazzcat2001

Default wiring tach and shift light in

red wire-power(it says on directions for shift light to put this to the ignition switch)
    black-ground
    green-tach?
    white-illumination?

i got a 3 3/4 sunpro tach and a 12,xxx rpm pro form shift light that i would like to put in my car..have directions for the shift light but bought tach used and would like to get it installed...thanks for any help

Mike Croke

You're correct on the wiring. Red is main power, black is ground, green goes to the negative side of the coil (or tach signal if using the stock wiring), and the white wire is for the backlight.

Where is the factory tach wireing in the engine bay? I have an aftermarket tach installed but I hooked it up right at the coil over a year ago and now I have a new guage cluster and I want to hook my factory tach back up and I cant find its wire. Also what color is it?

Sorry for hijackin your thread jazzcat but it looked like your question was answered and I didnt want to start a new thread for a similar question.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

Mike Croke

`The factory wire should come from the negative side of the coil. On my EFI harness, there are two green wires to the negative coil terminal. One goes to the computer and the other to the tach.

jazzcat2001

Quote Originally Posted by 795.0pacecar
    Where is the factory tach wireing in the engine bay? I have an aftermarket tach installed but I hooked it up right at the coil over a year ago and now I have a new guage cluster and I want to hook my factory tach back up and I cant find its wire. Also what color is it?

Sorry for hijackin your thread jazzcat but it looked like your question was answered and I didnt want to start a new thread for a similar question.
    bastid

nah im just messing around...i got a wiring diagram that someone was nice enough to copy onto their website from sunpro themselves

no idea where to tap into the ignition switch or the illumination but i am working on it

I found the tach wire and got everything wired up, its nice having a tach with a redline and big numbers to help my know when to quit lol. Im leaving my old tach on there too because its more accurate, I have noticed that the stock tach normally reads about 100 rpm faster than my sunpro tach.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost