Close

Default Need suspension advise. Car rides and handles terrible!

Got the GT-40 crate motor in, fired up, and have 700+ miles on it already. What a difference from the 200 horse stocker that I took out! Haven't really cranked on it yet, want to let it break in a little bit first.
    The next area of attention is to set up the suspension. This car rides like it has solid steel wheels. That, and it handles terrible. My question to y'all is "What the hell can I do to make the car ride and handle". I put on new shocks and struts. That did inprove things somewhat, but it needs to be better. What about the neoprene bushing sets? Are they worth the money?
    Any and all advise is welcome.

Bananas!
    1986 GT Vert
    GT-40 Powered
    Cobra intake
    70 MM throttle body
    24 # injectors
    155lph fuel pump
    MAC equal length headers
    MAC cold air kit
    Eibach progressive springs
    Hyperflex polyeurethane master kit
    Cobra R wheels
    245/45 Falken Azenas

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I can't say anything about the neoprene bushings, but I can endorse the polyurethane bushings. I've got them in my car and the ride is very nice. I would also replace the springs, and the front suspension's ball joints, end links, etc...etc...etc...Also, if there's play in the steering, you may want to replace the inner/outer tie rods and get a front end alignment. It's a lot of work and quite costly (cheaper if you install everything yourself) but well worth it in the end.

Believe me, if all parts are replaced at the same time, it'll feel like you're riding in a brand new car.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Also lower it some, I lowered my car and put new wheels and tires on it and it handles ALOT better, actually my whole front suspension has been redone with new stuff, I just got to turn my attention to the back now.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

What kind of shocks/struts? The spring/shock/strut combination is what determines the ride. If you have aftermarket springs with higher rates, you need a quality damper. If you do a search on the Corral, you will find how many people made the mistake of putting in better springs, then going with a low quality damper (re: KYB). This makes the ride very harsh. FWIW, I went with "C" springs on the 84 GT and Eibach springs on the vert. Both of them have Tokico shocks/struts. It's an amazing ride.
    85 GT convertible

Gazza

I've been trying to find a good set of struts for my 83GT but can only find KYB and nothing adjustable is listed anywhere it seems.

FEP Member

It seems a lot of the "better" struts are for '87 or newer. Whats up with that? Is there any way they fit on older cars without changing the spindles?

Are the KYBs that bad? I know they are not expensive.

Any recomendations?

J.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Alden
    It seems a lot of the "better" struts are for '87 or newer. Whats up with that? Is there any way they fit on older cars without changing the spindles?

Are the KYBs that bad? I know they are not expensive.

Any recomendations?

J.
    To install the 87+ struts, you have to install a spacer between the spindle and the strut when installing the strut bolts.

I like KYB's. For a stock replacement strut, they are nice.

I run the Tokico 5 way adjustable struts in the front (soon to be insatlling a coil over kit on these struts). And Strange 10 way adjustable rear shocks.

Its gonna come down to what kind of driving you do. All street, mostly street, street/strip, occasional street, all strip.

If you want a better ride, consider progressive rate springs. I don't know as much about these, but a lot of people are using bullit springs on their foxes, i would imagine that would get you a better ride and handling. to use the 87+ struts, it's probably best to upgrade to the larger 87+ spindles and rotors. you've got a more powerful engine, so upgrading to those spindles and brakes will not only help you stop better, but it's gonna allow you to bolt those struts right on with no mods.

if you haven't done rear control arms, those are a must. Just be sure you don't get poly at both ends, as you'll bind and tear out your torque boxes.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Gazza

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc

To install the 87+ struts, you have to install a spacer between the spindle and the strut when installing the strut bolts.
    Got any info on doing that swap at all ?

Also my driving is based purely on corner carving.

i would use a variable rate spring on all four corners, along with a set of kyb high pressure struts and shocks(i liked them on my old fairmont and they will go on my current one when i get the chance). limit body roll with the largest anti-roll bars available for the mustang. the 87 spindles bolt in place, but you will have to change the upper strut mount as well as going ot the 87 up strut. not a big deal, as it is a very good idea to swap in a set of cast/camber plate as well since you want to do some corner carving.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

FEP Senior Member

Get stock replacement bushings if you want a smooth ride. Personaly I'd only get the harder bushings if they were absolutely NEEDED.

FEP Member

So this spacer, is it something you make or can you buy it? Then where does it go? Is it obvious? I don't think changing spindles is in the budget.

Smooth ride (if you can call it that) is what I am after.

Adjustable struts?

Thanks so far but please keep it coming.

J.

Travis T

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc

Got any info on doing that swap at all ?

Also my driving is based purely on corner carving.
    I think this is backwards, isn't it? Don't the 79-86 struts fit 87-93 spindles with the use of spacers? Isn't the mounting pad thinner on the 87-93 cars, meaning the newer struts won't swap down?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Alden
    Smooth ride (if you can call it that) is what I am after.

Adjustable struts?
    Again, you are more than welcome to come out and drive my vehicles. The 84 has the adjustable Toks (Illumina) while the vert has the regular ones. I think you would be very impressed with the Eiback/Tokico combination in stance and ride comfort. I've done the KYB route and definitely do NOT recommend it. Even the "C" springs with the Toks set to soft makes my wife smile. You will be happy that you spent a few extra bucks for quality parts.
    85 GT convertible

I think this is backwards, isn't it? Don't the 79-86 struts fit 87-93 spindles with the use of spacers? Isn't the mounting pad thinner on the 87-93 cars, meaning the newer struts won't swap down?
    I think you are right about the spacers. The early spindles are thicker. I am still running Monroe GPs (highly recommended back then) that I bought a long time ago for my 85. They came with spacers which I still use after switching to the 87+ spindles and now SN-95s. On another board I heard about someone selling Tokico Illuminas for $439, which includes "free" shipping and handling", on ebay, sure beats $495+ and S&H I have seen everywhere else. They just got here yesterday! They do not have spacers, so if you want to run 87-93 struts, you'll need to upgrade spindles.

Don't know. All I know is that I had to swap on newer (87-93)spindles on my 85 GT before I could install my Tokico struts.

Banned

two words: COIL OVERS