Close

Default My speedometer has gone crazy

Finally got my tranny rebuilt in my Capri and drove it for the first time the other day

My speedometer cable jumps rapidly back and forth; My dad says it was working when he drove it before I started working on it. What would 'cause that, it's driving me nuts?

I'm not sure what the cause is. Once we got it home, I gutted the inside (paint, etc...) and then took it to the tranny shop so I never really tested/noticed it

Thanks
    Rocko
    ===============
    85 Capri GS 2.3L (Flooded by Katrina)
    Please sign my Guestbook!!>>>
    http://members.cardomain.com/rock007

FEP Senior Member

could be the cable or the gear. im not sure which one though. anyone....?
    2001 Cobra

alot of times it's the cable binding because it dries out.. drive it for awhile and it may go away..

or the gear is broke... pull the cable out of the tranny and check it too..
    my car is slow....
    84 GT convertible
    13.58@102.84, 2.01 60ft... summer in AZ...
    68 coupe.. lookin for 8's with a street car
    http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cappn Tripps
    or the gear is broke... pull the cable out of the tranny and check it too..
    When you say Gear, is that something I can fix easily? Where is that located (the Gear)?

Rocko
    ===============

There are two gears: a drive gear (inside the transmission, on the output shaft) and a driven gear (on the transmission end of the speedometer cable).

The drive gear is not easy to replace (especially in an auto). The driven gear IS easy to replace....

Remove the speedometer cable from the transmission. Remove the clip holding the driven gear to the cable. Remove the driven gear from the cable. Installation is the reverse of removal.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks alot for the infomation. I'm going to take a look at it tommorow.
    I hope the chance of it being the drive gear is slim since it was just rebuilt, but you never know :... I have a warrenty on it so I may just take it in if all else fails.

Thanks so much, I'll keep ya'll posted.
    Rocko
    ===============

Having been a speedometer mechanic and rebuilder in my past, the usual cause for the problem as you discribe it would be that the cable itself had begun to fray and would temporally hang up inside of the casing, causing it to stop spinning. The drive gear was still turning the cable down stream of the hang-up, in essence loading the cable to the point where it would release and spin off all of the stored up energy. When that energy is released it briefly spins very fast until it unloads. When it is in this brief fast spin mode it causes the needle on the speedo to respond.

Slide the cable out of the casing from the tranny side. If the cable is frayed, it is best to replace cable and casing together. Hope that this helps.

Bananas!
    1986 GT Vert
    GT-40 Powered
    Cobra intake
    70 MM throttle body
    24 # injectors
    155lph fuel pump
    MAC equal length headers
    MAC cold air kit
    Eibach progressive springs
    Hyperflex polyeurethane master kit
    Cobra R wheels
    245/45 Falken Azenas

banana's is right, also sometimes if you kink the cable sheath, or force it to bend too tightly, you will get binding as well causeing the exact same problem. i know my falcon has that problem.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin