Close

Default Problem with high beams

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem, and can give me an idea of where to start. When the high beams are on for awhile in my '85 Gt, my headlights cut completely out (first time was 80mph at 11:30 pm in the middle of nowhere. Thank God the road was straight.), but will come back on if I click back to low beams. No problem with the low beams, and the dash lights stay on when the headlights cut out. Dimmer switch? Bad relay? Thanks in advance for any advice.

head light switch is bad pick one up from autozone or any other parts store for like $12 i have gone through 2. when i got my car it cut out on me so i picked up one and then i took a trip down south that i drove all night fryd the switch then. now i have a new one and no problums... when they get old and burnt up from the heat the switch has a circuit breaker in it that cuts out and goes bad eventuly...

the flashing lights is just the circuit breaker turning on and off
    ~Peter

'85 ASC Mclaren Capri midnight blue

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Personally I would rewire the headlights with relays rather than band-aid over an out dated lighting system.
    82 Capri RS 5.0 T-top

Malleus Banificarum

Yep, I'd do the relays as well. Makes them brighter and no more problems. There should be a thread around here with a how-to.

Also, as a side note: If this happens in somewhat of an emergency situation, you can often get the high beams to work or not cut out by setting your vents to blow cold air on the floor, either A/C or outside cool air. I've done this in a few different cars and it worked.

The joys and character building experiences of driving an older vehicle.

a new switch and relays are the way to go.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by evlrs84
    Yep, I'd do the relays as well. Makes them brighter and no more problems. There should be a thread around here with a how-to.
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=6670
    2001 Cobra

Sorry, but I've tried 5 different "aftermarket" (GP sorensen, Wells, Carquest) headlight switches. They were all crap. I'm going to try to find a Ford switch new or at the yard. I might try that relay install.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."