Close

Thread: Classic Tube

Default Classic Tube

Has anyone purchased items from Classictube.com? They sell prebent brake lines. My rear brake line broke where it bolts to the rear braket. Looks like I will need to replace the whole tube from the master cylinder to the axle. Has anyone done this? Looks like it would be very difficult to install a prebent brake line. I would bend one myself but I don't have the tools to bend them without kinking them.

Does Classic Tube actually list applications for '79-'86 Mustang/Capri?

Apparently so.

They list a whole bunch of stuff.

Cool.

-Mike

jazzcat2001

just get a tubing bender from autozone...isn't that bad bending your own and you save a ton of cash

Auto store brake line comes in 4' (maximum) sections only so you'd have to piece together several sections to get from front to back. And you would still have to flare the ends (after installing the fittings of course), which is somewhat of an acquired skill.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

jazzcat2001

so dont go to autozone to get the tubing...i know that we had 12" sections at a local parts store and could order any size you would need(have it same day as well)

stevebob100

Just buy a double flare tool and a tubing bender, both combined will cost around $45. At the age of 17 i did the entire brake line system on my capri without leaks, so i dont think it can be that difficult.

Thanks for the info. I can't justify buying the equipment to bend and flare the lines because this is the only time I would use them. Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased brake lines from Classictube.com. They do list the brake lines for 79-85 mustangs.

If I understand your problem, your hard line broke due to wear at the rear bracket, right? Why do you want to replace the whole line? It would be much easier to just repair the line where it broke. There are a few ways to do that. You will need to cut out a small section where the break is and then flare both ends of the current hard line. Then you could either put a soft or hard line in. If you don't want to buy a tubing bender, you could just buy a generic soft line. You would still need a flaring tool to do this, but I bought a decent flaring tool at Harbor Freight for about $10-$15. That plus the hard line and a couple of flared fittings would probably cost a total of $40-$50. And it would be a lot less work then replacing the whle line!

This is what I would do. Just a suggestion...
    ~Scott

~1979 RS, 396 Stroker Windsor, Tremec, 3.55 8.8, big brakes, 6-point cage. Way too much to list!
    ~1985 GPIV, under restoration...
    ~1995 Eddie Bauer Bronco w/ minor mods.
    ~2006 Yamaha R1. Stock, and the fastest vehicle in my garage!

That is exactly what happened. It rusted so much that when I was installing exhaust it broke right off.

That is great advice. What soft line can you use? Like what is attached to the front brakes on the wheel hubs?

Is that the ONLY spot of brake line that's rusted?

Yes it is. Just that pat that bolts to the rear bracket. Rest of the line is in good shape.

For the soft line... Yes, you can just use something like what is used on the front brake calipers. 4Is also use these types of soft lines at the rear axle to frame too, and sometimes on the rear axle to caliper/drums, depending on what brakes you have. I would just go down to a local parts store and see what they have in stock. You just need to find a line that uses flared fittings on both ends and is the right size for your current brake line. I'm not sure what size the stock brake line is??? Maybe 5/16"? I know a few places that could make a custom line to fit your project, but that will drive up your costs. But, I'm pretty sure a good parts guy could find a generic brake line that will work for you...
    ~Scott

~1979 RS, 396 Stroker Windsor, Tremec, 3.55 8.8, big brakes, 6-point cage. Way too much to list!
    ~1985 GPIV, under restoration...
    ~1995 Eddie Bauer Bronco w/ minor mods.
    ~2006 Yamaha R1. Stock, and the fastest vehicle in my garage!

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.