Close

FEP Power Member

Default The Original California Water Blade (trademarked)

photo curtesey of California Car Covers

Well, I have heard good things about the water blade, and I know the great quality of California Car Covers great car covers, so I figured that I would go ahead and take a shot. The instructions mentioned that you need a towel to get some of the tough to reach areas and body crevices, but I had to use a chamois more than I could use the blade. Even on a FOX body hood, it was still leaving too much water and was not able to do a good job near the fenders. I rate this a big waste of $20.00. I am glad that my dad liked it, as I am selling to him and I will continue to use a chamois since I used the chamois on about 85% of the car anyways.
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

whats wrong with driving the car around the block a few times to dry it
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Or get the Mr.Clean Carwash system. Seems to work for me and leaves no spots...so far.

-Mike

FEP Member

I've good luck using the blade on my XR4, but your right, it does leave several areas that still need to be towelled off.

I just need to bite the bullet and buy the Mr. Clean system. Talking to those who have used it, it seem to work pretty darn well in the last stage, though you still need to scrub the car to get it clean.

Jake
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti
    1979 Mustang Cobra, 2.3l, 4 spd; currently in as many pieces as possible.

I use the blade on my Mustang and have had pretty good results. Just don't expect it to be completely dry. It leaves some water around the edges and creases, but I can dry the whole car with one towel instead of several after using the water blade. It works great on the windows to avoid water spots and streaks from the towels or chamois. Works alot better on my trucks though...much flatter panels.

Haven't tried the Mr Clean system yet. Waiting to see how well my dad's works out for him before I get one.

-Mike
    '83 Mustang GLX---T-Tops, 5.0 EFI/TKO600/8.8, Ebrock hds/int, F303, 4whl discs, 3.27s, 70mm turbo @16psi.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I know that this sounds crazy, but I've heard of people blowing the water droplets off of their cars by using air compressors and leaf blowers. I don't have an air compressor, but I do have a leaf blower. I'll have to try it.

As of now, I usually towel dry mine with paper towels (real soft ones.) If any of you have ever heard of those new VIVA paper towels, they're awesome! They are super soft, super absorbant, and won't scratch your paint at all. Two thumbs up for those babies!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra
    I know that this sounds crazy, but I've heard of people blowing the water droplets off of their cars by using air compressors and leaf blowers. I don't have an air compressor, but I do have a leaf blower. I'll have to try it.

As of now, I usually towel dry mine with paper towels (real soft ones.) If any of you have ever heard of those new VIVA paper towels, they're awesome! They are super soft, super absorbant, and won't scratch your paint at all. Two thumbs up for those babies!
    Egyptian Cotton towels! lol
    2001 Cobra

Sandy Block's (ascMcLaren registry) cars never get touched by a towel. He uses a leaf blower.

-Mike

FEP Member

Make sure, especially if you have an old, oil type compresser, that you use a filter/dryer. I know my old compressor would leave oil droplets if I did that.

BTW I did go out and buy the Mr. Clean thing. For the actual cleaning of the car, its not really any faster that the old sponge and bucket method, but for that final rinse it works great! No spots what so ever!

Jake
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti
    1979 Mustang Cobra, 2.3l, 4 spd; currently in as many pieces as possible.

I utilize magical microfiber towels for detailing purposes !! They are perfect for cleaning and drying i think !! No Scratch and No lint shed !!

16 year old thread...
    I still have one of those Cali water blades. It works great on the glass! Blowing the car off works great. I use an electric leaf blower so no oil. I do that for the motorcycle too if I take the time to dry it.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"