Close

Default 86 GT quit while driving...Help!

There I was, driving home after work. I'm clipping along about 50, and it just quit. No stumble, no surge, hiccup, nothing. With the radio on, I wouldn't have even noticed immediately if I hadn't seen the tach drop to zero. I checked the TFI module and coil. No problems. It turns over fine, just won't even think about catching. Any one have an idea what the problem is or can point me in the right direction? Need to get this puppy running again.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

84TtopCoupe

broken timing chain?

Mike Croke

Can you hear the fuel pump turn on when you first flip the key on?

Fuel pump is good. Purrs like a kitten. Replaced that last summer. Don't think it's the chain, everything sounds OK while I'm turning the engine over. No backfiring or other ugly noises. Spins real nice and crisp. However, with 174K on the clock, I won't dismiss anything. I THINK it's a wire burned or shorted, possibly the fuel filter plugged. We've had majorly ****ty gas here in Phoenix lately. Again, anything's possible.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Mike Croke

Since you can hear the fuel pump, that means the EEC is getting power and theoretically so should the injectors.

Do you get spark?

May be a fusible link. There's a handful of unlabelled ones just under the starter solenoid on the driver's side. The only way to check them is to probe each for continuity.

Does it try to fire. If not its probably the TFI module, which bolts to the distributor. Usually if its a fusible link, you will not get the starter to turn over.

I'd start with the basics first.

Fuel
    Air
    Spark

Check for spark first.

Now that you mention it, I did check the spark with a screwdriver stuck in the coil (Accel Super Coil) wire and grounded against the strut. No spark. I got another coil (same kind) and that didn't work. I need to return the coil now . I replaced the TFI when I first got the car in 95, it was doing the same thing as now, just that it would start every now and then. How can you check/test the links?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Sorry, missed the link probing part.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Member

Pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is turning. If it is my guess would be the module or the pick-up assembly. What brand module did you use? My car did the exact same thing Friday afternoon. Haven't had time to check anything yet. Mine has a new coil, module, and pick-up all Borg-Warner.

The TFI on the car now is Borg Warner. It's been there since 95, so it could be bad. However, I got a new one from NAPA and got NADDA. The new one could've been bad also.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Member

When I go to work tomorrow I will get on Alldata and see what we need to test, as I don't remember which wire is which. I will post it on here for you if you still need it when I get home.

I likely will need it. My next 2 weeks will not be my own. My wife is giving a kidney to her brother Tuesday . He really needs it soon. Everyone else please feel free to throw their 2 cents worth into the pot. I'll read it, just might not get to answer it real quick.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Senior Member

Scan for codes if you got a scanner. I forgot where you hook up a bobbypin and count the check engine light flases. Where is the check engine light on a 86GT?
    1986GT C9 351W. T-3550
    Inner & Outer subs
    Griggs GR40 Suspension
    Panhard bar & Torque arm. Tub Kmember and A-arms.

1982GT w/rear wiper

http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/82...d/MVC-558S.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/MVC-001F.JPG

The last of the four eyes doesn't have an engine light, unfortunately. The scanner has to tell us the bad news itself.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Pickup sensor in the distributor. I'd bet $5 on it.

You'll have to take the distributor to a shop with a press though because the dist. gear has to be pressed off and on.
    '86 GT 13.49 @ 104
    '83 Tbird TC 17.75 @ 78
    '05 Five Hundred AWD 16.95 @ 88

http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html

this is a good site if your trying to test for engine codes and you don't have a check engine light or scan tool.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

Checked the distributor, it does turn like it should. That should eliminate any timing chain issues. Double checked the spark again, still no spark. Haven't pulled a plug yet to check on that. I thought about the pick up but I probably won't have time to check it for a few days at the earliest. Fortunately, this one isn't my daily driver any more. This one will probably end up for sale fairly soon . Not because I want to, believe me. Don't have room for 4 cars. Did have 5.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Member

You'll need a DVOM to do this test. On the module make sure you have ground on the bottom wire, power (with the key on) on the third wire up, and power on the fourth wire up while cranking. With the module off the three terminals on top from left to right are Ground, PIP power, PIP in. Where the plug goes they are from top to bottom are PIP, Spout, Start, TFI power, Coil, and Ignition Ground. With an ohm meter
    Ground - PIP in greater than 500 ohms
    PIP power - PIP in less than 2000 ohms
    PIP power - TFI power less than 200 ohms
    Ground - Ignition Ground less than 2 ohms
    PIP in - PIP less than 200 ohms

If any readings are off it's the module, if everything is good it's the pick-up.

I'll have to break out the new meter I just bought. Thanks for the help, everyone keep throwing ideas at me.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

It Lives!! It was the pick up assembly. After I got the distributor apart (boy was that fun), the clip and the magnet fell out along with the plastic clips that hold them. Problem solved. Adjusted the timing and it purrs like a kitten. Now I have to think about selling it. Can't have 4 cars, says the wife.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)