Close

Default Lakewood shocks??? quality

My 85 is gonna get new rear shocks. No cash for tokico or konis YET. I wanna get some semi decent shocks on the rear. Was gonna go with KYB but Im curious about the Lakewood 50/50 shocks. About the same price as KYb. I searched and nothing came up. Thanks
    Joe E.

I have a all stock rear suspension 1979 hatchback with the Lakewood 50/50's in the back. The car 60 foots 1.54 and goes 11:00's. They work!
    All Throttle-No Bottle!
    1979 Hatchback 347 Stroker
    1985 GT 5.0 H.O.
    2005 F-230 Superduty Supercrew FX4 Powerstroke
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Thanks for the reply. Are they decent for daily driving? Or are they meant to go in a straight line? ei drag? I need a cheeper shock for daily driving that is a step up from the stock shocks. Thanks
    Joe E.

Travis T

I have the KYB's, and I think they're perfect for a street car.

Do your self a HUGE favor. If you are looking at the 50/50's from lakewood, skip them and get the Strange 10 way adjustable rear shocks from Jegs. They are like $65 each. I just put them on my car, and know several others who have them, and they work awsome.

thanks for the help guys. I am basically looking between KYBs and these lakewoods. Probably KYBs. I really cant dump the $$$ into tokico or konis right now. I have alot to do and only about $1200 to go with. Already got wheels/tires $925. This includes interior/relaible engine things/ basic maintainence/etc.
    Thanks for your input! Have a nice evening.
    Joe E.

FEP Power Member

I can't say what the lakewoods are like on stangs but I did have the 50/50's on the back of my old nova. The car was driven daily as it was my only car, and also street raced EVERY weekend it didn't rain. The car ran 12's without the juice and the shocks performed very well. I'll probably buy them for my pace car when the time comes. That is a good brand.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

The lakewood 50/50's would work on a everyday street car.
    All Throttle-No Bottle!
    1979 Hatchback 347 Stroker
    1985 GT 5.0 H.O.
    2005 F-230 Superduty Supercrew FX4 Powerstroke
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

awsome. im coming real close to orderinga set. do they have quad shocks too? or do i have to go with kyb for those?Now that i think about it, those quads are 430ish a piece. Maybe i should just go and get new control arms and put that 60 bucks twords them instead. What do yall think? Any good brands for 85gts? Thanks for your input. I feel like i can make a better decision after talking to you guys.
    Joe E.