Close

79snake

Default 79 Cobra Production #'s

Does anyone have any information on the production #'s for the 1979 Mustang Cobra's, all i am finding is for the ghia's and the pace cars.

I've read there may have been 7,000 made .
    I think most were 2.3 turbos , some were 5.0s .

Check down the theads for more info .

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

To the best of my knowledge, the 7,000 units is correct. I got my information from the hardcover book that is entitled, "The Ultimate Mustang." It's currently on sale at all Border's book stores.

This is the only publication that I've come across that has this information, so I don't know if it's to be believed or not. However, every other publication that I've come across, doesn't even list the amount of Cobra's that were produced. If the total is correct (and they don't even list the exact amount,) then the Cobra's are more rare than the Pace Cars (though not necessarily more desireable.) Also, it doesn't break down the numbers for the 2.3 Turbo and the 5.0 V-8.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Power Member

Just from what i've seen and believe me I look, the cobras seem to be a little rarer than the pace cars are. At least you definatly find more pace cars that are fixed up than you do cobras. I think you could probably find more cobras in original condition than pace cars though.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe