Close

Default Thinking about suspension. need advise and expierence.

Hi have a stock 85GT. I need to replace the shocks in the rear pretty bad. So I have been thinking about haveing a set of lowering springs installed, and new shocks. Figured do it at 1 time and maybe be cheeper than doing it seperately. I dont want to drop much. Just an inch or as close to it as possible. I see steeda makes 7/8 in frt, and 1/2in rear springs. Are they any good. Anyone run them? And will I need a set of caster camber plates to get a good alignment? By they way I have
    255-40-17 tires 17x8 frt 17x9 rear in the mail right now. Any isues with a drop and these tires?

Also I have a lifted truck so I have a shop that did all that work. Cost about $200. to install my truck springs. Are we looking at the same to install mustang springs? Less/ more? I know they are not hard to install as long as you have proper tools, which I dont have.

Thanks for your help and expierence. Another 4 I'd fox guy appreciates it
    Joe E.

FEP Senior Member

Well I just recieved my dropzone springs from ebay today, hopefully I'll be able to install them tommorrow and I'll let you know what I think of them.
    1985 Mustang Vert. ~GONE
    1988 Nissan 300zx Turbo 54k miles
    1996 Ford Windstar
    2002 Ford Explorer Sport

The rear springs can be installed super easy within about 30 mins for both. The fronts are a bit tougher. You could buy a $16 spring compressor fron Auto Zone or the like to remove them. You should be able to install the new ones without the compressors because they should be a lot shorter. Fronts should take maybe an hour a side if everything is cooperative.

Caster Camber plates are always a good call but finding a good alignment shop willing and able to do a good alignment on it is another story. I prefer Maxamum Motorsports plates. I have them on mine and they have a lifetime warranty too.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Man your car is awsome. I cant wait to gewt into this 85 GT I have.

I want to have the springs installed by a shop. I have not air tools, lift, etc. Just a basic 200 piece craftsman. So if a prof shop did it, from what you say it would be about a 3hr job? Thats not too bad. But will I positively need the C/C plates? If I do I will get them at the same time as the springs. If they are good to have but not necessary, then Ill hold off until it becomes an issue.
    All I need to do is find a shop in south FLA that does this stuff. Then get a quote. Thanks for your help.
    Joe E.
    cant wait to see those picts too! hope the install goes ok.

the steeda springs are good ones to use, and you dont need a spring compressor to replace the front springs. just jack the car up, support it with jack stands under the K-member, not the control arms, and use your jack under the ball joint to hold the arm up. disconnect the strut from the spindle, and SLOWLY lower the jack. the spring will release nicely and literally fall out when the jack is lowered far enough. reverse the procedure to install the new springs.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

What about the CC plates? If I need them, are they very difficult to install? Thanks
    Joe E.

actually no they are easy to install. check out
    http://projecthp.ford23.com/tech.html for more information.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

FEP Senior Member

Before you go doing it the "easy,fast" way, how safe are you? It is possible to kill yourself with a spring. I've seen a guy get knocked out in my automotive class. Oh those were the days, they are long gone.
    1985 Mustang Vert. ~GONE
    1996 Ford Windstar
    2002 Ford Explorer Sport

FEP Super Member

I never use a spring compresor on my stangs unless i'm installing drag springs which are longer..... BUT i tell everyone to use one cause if something did happen i would feel pretty bad...

Steeda springs and the ford springs are the same. Steeda makes the springs for ford racing.. They are also priced the same..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

i will use a spring compressor one cars that have the spring on the upper arm, or on macpherson strut suspensions where the spring is coiled over the strut, but most cars where the spring is on the bottom arm you dont need a compressor IF YOU ARE CAREFULL.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate your help. Anyone every use the steeda springs? do they lower only what they say they do? I dont want to go more than 1.25in. Anymore and its too much for me.

I couldnt find anything on that site about springs. Maybe Im blind. In that case I should do anything with the springs, haha.

I am a pretty careful guy. if I did do it myself, Id be clear of the launched spring's path if it did go. But Im still thinking baout having them installed. Can CC plates be installed afterwords? After the springs and shocks? Or do they have to go on under the suspension? I am going to try to get away with out them, but If I have to get them Ill have to get them.

Thanks again guys.
    Joe E.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    Steeda springs and the ford springs are the same. Steeda makes the springs for ford racing.. They are also priced the same..

kyle
    Actually...

Eibach make the FRPP springs... at least according to the FRPP spring I have in the shed awaiting installation. They have Eibach instructions and warranty info in the box.

I think that Eibach makes Steeda's too... but I'm not sure.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

FEP Super Member

We toured steeda's facility when we whent to get scotts car and they where painting the springs and putting them into ford box's... Same with the strut bar, and control arms (rear).. Maybe they changed vendors at one time or another..

Who know's, company's are constantly looking for new vendors..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I have the Steeda springs and love the way the car looks and rides. I also have the Steeda CC plates, they also have a Lifetime warranty. I got there Billet Aluminum plates, They Are AWESOME !!

Travis T

I had to use a spring compressor to get my stock front springs out of my 84 GT, but that's the first Mustang I've ever had to do that with. I just got the Autozone rent-a-tool compressor and did it for free. They're really not bad to do yourself, and it'd save you a bit of money. I got the Motorsport C springs, but they dropped mine more than you want yours dropped.

Yeah Im not looking for 2 ins or nothin. Just something to take some of the wheel fender space out and gie it a better starting place for handling. None of the mods I want to do right now are top notch or crazy. I am looking for things that are moderate that can be done without tons of cash and still give my stang that customized look. Thanks for you imput.
    Joe E.

My wheels finally came in today. They are almost the smae size as my stockers. I know they are stated to be .5in shorter but its so close you cant tell. And the 17x9 rear looks nice!
    Im about to order the steeda springs and get new shocks in the rear. Hopefully have picts up soon. Thanks for your help and have a nice evening.
    Joe E.

FEP Senior Member

I just installed my Dropzone springs today, asnd all I have to say is OMG what a difference it makes, I don't bottom out anymore and all my bumpsteer is gone. Best 80bucks I've ever spent.
    1985 Mustang Vert. ~GONE
    1996 Ford Windstar
    2002 Ford Explorer Sport

Not trying to hi jack this thread but how much did the Drop Zone springs lower you car? Also joelliot have you considered the Bullit springs? Most seem to be getting a 3/4 drop with them.

Whats up guys. Thanks for the insite on the drop zone springs. And I am wanting picts !!!!!!! I wanna see this thing.

I have bought a set of Ford motrspts C springs front 7/8 drop rear 3/4 drop. Im hoping they will sit good for me. Anything is better than the stock rear susp. right now. And Im debating whether to go Lakewood 50/50s in the rear or KYB non adj. and Im getting quads if I cant find a set of reasonable rear cont arms. Later guys.
    Joe E.

FEP Senior Member

bbk
    http://www.brothersperformance.com/s...g/bbk2526.html
    ok now i know everyone thinks mac sucks but they have to be better than stock right?
    http://macperformance.com/store/cate...ategory_ID=485
    Steeda has the lowers for 169.99
    2001 Cobra