Close

Default Another 2.3T question

I was just looking at the 2.3T post and have another question regarding all the upgrades you have mentioned. I have an 84 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and the factory motor is rated at 145 hp and the 84 Mercury Capri RS Turbo I have is factory rated at 175 hp (based on my encyclopedia of American cars). What gives?? I'm sure someone on here has a legitimate answer. Is it the comp or the exhaust or??? I want the extra 30hp the factory gave the Capri for my Bird!! Please help, but keep in mind I know/understand very little about the whole Turbo motors as these are both my first ones, Thanks. RAY
    86 Capri 5.0/5spd: Too many mods to list
    93 5.0/5sp LX: Silver, 3,980 miles: now stored
    84 Thunderbird TurboCoupe: she's back!!
    84 Capri RS- T-top car built for my wife
    83 Thunderbird Heritage 5.0
    79 F100, new parts hauler and toy vehicle
    78 Bronco Custom: 2-wheel conversion project
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd
    64 Galaxie 500 390 Z-code
    55 Ford Customline Sedan-long term project

TURN UP THE BOOST!
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Power Member

Are you sure it isn't the other way around? I'm not positive but doesn't the T-Bird have an intercooler? The capri shouldn't I don't think. The SVO in 84 wasn't even rated at 175hp I don't think so how could the capri? I'm not positive on all this but something doesn't add up right I don't think. Someone will correct me i'm sure.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

Quote Originally Posted by RACECAP97
    Are you sure it isn't the other way around? I'm not positive but doesn't the T-Bird have an intercooler? The capri shouldn't I don't think. The SVO in 84 wasn't even rated at 175hp I don't think so how could the capri? I'm not positive on all this but something doesn't add up right I don't think. Someone will correct me i'm sure.
    87/88 models are the only Turbocoupes with intercoolers. 84 was non-intercooled just as with the Mustangs. The SVO was the only vehicle to get an intercooler besides the 87/88 Turbocoupes.

The SVO was rated at 175...well according to this anyway: http://www.svoca.com/history/svo_performance_specs.html

And according to MustangGT.org, the 84 Turbo GT(which should be the same as the 84 Turbo RS) were rated at 145HP as well.
    http://www.mustanggt.org/84gt.htm

Which is kinda obvious since the only difference I think they had was maybe the computers...the Capri/Mustang and the Turbocoupes of that year both had T3 turbos that came in 48 or 68 A/R turbine housings.

Corrections anyone?

BTW, the Merkur is missing from this conversation, but only cause its not a Fox based vehicle.
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Member

Its about the boost, mainly. The non-I/C 2.3Ts were rated between 145 and 175hp, depending on the model. The later engines that came in the SVO and TC were rated between 175-210, depending on the year.

The hp rated also depended on the transmission, 5spd cars usually had a high hp rating (often by about 30 hp), than the autos. This is true on the XR4Ti's which were rated at 145 for the automatic and 175 for the manual. This was mainly due to the quality (or lack of) of Ford's automatic tranmissions used in these cars.

Jake
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti
    1979 Mustang Cobra, 2.3l, 4 spd; currently in as many pieces as possible.