Close

Default Duraspark Module

Is there any difference in the Duraspark Module between the years it was in use? Just curious so I know for future reference...

TIA
    1982 GLX 5.0/4-speed Coupe with T-Tops (L O N G term restoration/modification project)
    1996 Pacific Green GT 5-Speed Coupe

just different for the engine it goes to. the plastic
    around the wires coming out of the box is a diff
    color for each engine. local parts store should be
    able to tell you which color is what. (i think blue
    is 302.)
    78 Bronco 400 *RIP*
    85 Capri 2.3 5spd
    99 Sable 3.0 wifes ride
    95 Volkswagon GolfIII
    and of course my baby,
    86 CAPRI 92 302 /SROD

St80sixer

The Duraspark (D2) modules stayed the same throughout the years, only difference is how the grommet colors on the module signified how the module affected timing.

Some cars came with D2 modules that were set up to run the engine efficiently in high altitude regions. These are set up to advance or retard timing as barometric pressure increases, to control knocking. I think these had a brown grommet, but I'm not sure.

White or yellow grommet D2 modules would retard the timing while starter is engaging to promote easier starting, bring it back up after the engine was started, and under heavy engine load would retard the timing to reduce detonation. Yellow grommet modules have three connectors instead of two like all others, the third connector was for a vacuum sensor. Yellows are usually found on 400 engines or larger and whites are usually found on some turbo and auto 2.3 engines.

Blue, black, and red grommet D2 modules were setup for engines that were not meant for high altitude areas and did not need the heavy load retard. Most Mustang/Capri cars will have these. The colors on these correspond to emissions requirements, but they all seem to act the same.