Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jpywell
    lol, you going to use it or just gloat?
    Not sure yet.

I have a couple of them laying around.

Of the 4 I have, 2 came from beaters I bought and had no idea they were in there. One came from a heacd on Ebay that no one saw had it in there (neither did the seller) and now this one.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

Well if you ever want to get rid of the turbo parts... lemme know
    The economic times suck... GREAT TIME FOR BUYING FOXES!!!

86 T-TOP RS, 32,000 Miles, near mint ONLY 320.00USD...

how about an 88 turbo coupe to part out for the four-eye? toss in an exaust, k&n, ranger cam,a little more boost, and lots of tuning. then kick some tail

Be careful if you are looking at a 86 SVO for an E6 manifold. More than one has been found with the E3 manifold on it. When I got mine, it only had upper 60K miles and didnt appear to have ever been worked on--it had a E3 on it. I know of several others with similar or lower mileage with E3s.
    "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

jazzcat2001

this is what i want to do and i would like to know what is the best way to do it...

turbo 2.3 swap with 5 speed..i want the biggest front mount intercooler that i can get to work with this where should i look...i also want to use a fuel cell..if i have to replace the fuel tank and lines anyways why not go with one of those..can i just mount the cell in the bottom of the spare tire well? what is the best pump for boost?..my battery is going into the trunk..should i have a sheet of metal installed inbetween the trunk and back seat or is that necessary with the car being a coupe? whats the best ignition for running a boosted 4 banger?

thanks for any and all help

Biggest intercooler?
    Diesel trucks

Fuel Cell?
    Same as any other Mustang with a fuel cell. But they do make fuel cells that are direct replacements for the fuel tank. But of course probably cost more than the standard square ones.

Firewall in the back?
    If you plan on running 10s probably. I think its required.

Ignition System?
    Stock works good for most. Run all Motorcraft if possible for best results.
    No matter where you go, there you are

What is a VAM?
    2002 F-350 4x4 PSD
    2000 Excursion 4x4 V-10
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0
    1984 SVO
    1982 Capri I-6

Quote Originally Posted by TANKER
    What is a VAM?
    http://fordturbo.com/terms.html

Yeah, right after I posted the question I looked at fordturbo. I am trying to get up to speed on all this 2.3t stuff.
    2002 F-350 4x4 PSD
    2000 Excursion 4x4 V-10
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0
    1984 SVO
    1982 Capri I-6

jazzcat2001

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    Biggest intercooler?
    Diesel trucks

Fuel Cell?
    Same as any other Mustang with a fuel cell. But they do make fuel cells that are direct replacements for the fuel tank. But of course probably cost more than the standard square ones.

Firewall in the back?
    If you plan on running 10s probably. I think its required.

Ignition System?
    Stock works good for most. Run all Motorcraft if possible for best results.
    whats the best fuel pump for this? 255? 190? or will a 155 be sufficient..i am wanting to run a aftermarket ignition(msd, jacobs) something with a rev limiter and a possible boost retard..

i am planning on going fast with this car..i will be running a 8.8 with 4.10s or higher and the suspension and tuning on the car will be set for quarter mile, cruise nights no longer daily driven or anything

i will probably run the rear firewall just for an additional peace of mind for myself..thanks for the tips now i just need to get the rest of my parts

Look at the prices between the 190 and 255...

Might as well go 255...

jazzcat2001

Look at the prices between the 190 and 255...

Might as well go 255...
    good call...

i honestly can't believe my fiance said i could go crazy with the coupe already

jazzcat2001

doing a bottom to top rebuild on a 86 turbo block...wanted to go with a .030 overbore and was curious as to what pistons i should order? autozone has a rebuild kit(that they are ordering from summit) that comes complete with everything internal minus the crank but am not sure if that covers the boring or not..also should i look into different valves or just stick with the stockers? this car isn't exactly going to be stock and i am looking for mid 12s out of the 4 banger with no nitrous(will settle for mid 13s but really want a 12 time slip out of it)

thanks for your help

FEP Super Member

Stock TRW forged piston's work well to 400 hp....

If you order a rebuild kit you need to make sure it is for a TURBO 2.3. The internals where different and it would suck bad if you whent through all the trouble and got inferior parts.

I'm pretty sure TRW still makes the factory replacement parts for them. They should be able to cross reference the ford part #.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

If not...I think SpeedPro is making pistons now. Someone posted their build up and had SpeedPro Pistons with the coated skirts.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat2001
    doing a bottom to top rebuild on a 86 turbo block...wanted to go with a .030 overbore and was curious as to what pistons i should order? autozone has a rebuild kit(that they are ordering from summit) that comes complete with everything internal minus the crank but am not sure if that covers the boring or not..also should i look into different valves or just stick with the stockers? this car isn't exactly going to be stock and i am looking for mid 12s out of the 4 banger with no nitrous(will settle for mid 13s but really want a 12 time slip out of it)

thanks for your help
    Not only when you upgrade the pistons you will want to upgrade the rods aswell. The 5.7" rods are best for performance vs. $$$ and you want to make sure your pistons/rods are turbo specific, also I was reading that you will want to upgrade your engine block bolts to ARP, cant remember right off my head what they are called specifically but the bolts that support and hold the crankshaft are extremely important to have.

On my 2.3L build I am replacing ALL the bolts (headers, heads, crank etc...) with ARP and will be using FRPP gaskets. Beyond that everything else mostly I am going to try and keep FORD RACING or Motorcraft if possible.

I am also going to be upgrading to a High Flow CFM electric fan and the FORD RACING 3 core aluminum radiator too keep it cool, taking no chances with my build specially for the extra $$ it could save in the long run.

As for intercoolers there are 2 types, the watercooled and air cooled, at this time I am going to get 2 87 - 88 turbocoupe intercoolers and have them modified onto eachother.

The watercooled idealy is the best however it still needs to be cooled (people say it doesnt... logic dictates otherwise... same with pure commen sence) the one's I have seen are very expensive with a proper water pump and cooling system, the cheap one's rigged only last the 1/4 mile if that and are not for daily driving.

You will want to keep the stock headers, possible have them ceramic coated and have the intake bored out or get a custom intake done, I like 40 bobs inline tube intake with the 65mm TB, however it requires the relocations of the alternator, its been setup so that if you remove the A/C you can modify that bracket to accept the alternator... still researching it.

Another thing you will need to have is heavy # injectors with a computer that will support it, you will get much better performance.

And lastly another option: Oversize the valves and do a complete port & polish with dual springs.

The rear end is always a good idea to upgrade for the added power you will want better breaking, adding the 87 - 88 rear end (if you dont have a good brake system) will not only get you discs in the rear but you will have a 3.73:1 8.8Inch rear upgrade also helping lay the power to the ground. The SVO's I believe had 7.5's... so depending on how serious you get... depends on the rear end's life.

Thats my 2 cents. 0.02

Now that...is research right there folks.

FEP Super Member

Thats what happens when you have more time than money.. And when you dont want to do stuff twice..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

lol, more time... I spend at least 4 - 5 hours studying reading and looking over my Chilton's and Hayne's books daily, general materials etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    Thats what happens when you have more time than money.. And when you dont want to do stuff twice..

kyle
    Ain't that the truth

jazzcat2001

that is exactly what i was looking to hear

no doubt i will have more questions as i go...should i go with the .030 overbore or just stick to the stock bore?

You will want the machine shop to take a look at your engine cylinders, if the cylinders are in good shape then you can get stock, if its not then you will have to get the bore.

If you dont really give 2 freakn' hoots about getting it checked then get the overbore and have the machine shop machine your block, bring your pistons and rods etc... in with you when you have it done and they will size the cylinders perfectly.

jazzcat2001

where in the hell can i get a rebuild kit for one of these cars? not looking to spend a billion dollars just need a 'stock' rebuild

There is a kit that someone mentioend on turboford. No clue the company, but it seems to be a good kit.

A .030" overbore gets dangerously close to the max on these motors, I guess the cylinder walls aren't all that thick. Might wanna stay stock if you can, or do a 0.010" if that's possible.

Brian
    --Brian
    '86 SVO 1C Comp Prep - work in progress
    '92 2.3T hatch, heavily modded - totalled by hit-and-run, RIP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast