Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Malleus Banificarum

Default 2.3T guys, let's make a shopping list *more 5/20*

Purpose of this thread: Junkyard upgrades and cheap/easy upgrades for 2.3T cars. Especially those of us with the non-IC cars. Lists of specific cars and parts to look for in junkyards and part numbers, etc. is the goal.

Here's what I've got from you guys in this thread so far:

Big VAMs
    84-86 SVOs
    87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupes
    87-88 XR7 Cougars

Most Desirable Computers
    LA3
    PE

E6 Exhaust Manifolds
    86 SVOs
    86+ Merkur XR4Tis
    86+ Thunderbird Turbo Coupes
    86+ XR7 Cougars

35# Injectors
    86 SVOs
    86+ Merkur XR4Tis
    86+ Thunderbird Turbo Coupes
    86+ XR7 Cougars

"Ranger" Roller Cams
    91+ Rangers
    91-93 Mustangs

J/Y Intercoolers
    87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Conquest**
    "The best finds are the NPR I/Cs from the cab-over Isuzu delivery trucks if your yard has any trucks. Actually, any light and meduim trucks with turbo diesels are worth a look at for the intercooler."

Plus, we've got a killer step-by-step suggested mod list by GT350R that looks really, really good.

Now for more questions:

Additional j/y intercoolers?

Additional information on getting rid of the stock air box for a K&N setup? We've got the part # listed below, I believe, but suggestions on routing, plumbing, etc. would be fantastic.

Any years 2.3 T5s better or worse than others? Ones to avoid or look for?

J/Y heads...?

Anything else you've got is welcome. You guys are fantastic. Once we've got a pretty comprehensive list, this thread is destined for the archives.

Big VAMs:
    Ford Mustang SVO - 84-86? Corrections please
    Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe - 87-88
    Mercury XR7 Cougar - 87-88

Transimssions:
    Ones that don't grind. 1986 or so was the first year the manuals(I believe all) were switched to World Class specifications. So pretty much 87+ are good choices, but the 1st gear isn't desireble. Corrections please?
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Member

Computers: Add the PE computer from the SVOs (though not one you just run across), on the later 5spd TCs, the LA3 computer is more desirable than the LA2 due to its compatablity with the EEC Tuner.

T-3 turbos (83-36 TCs, all turbo mustangs, all XR4s) are always good if you have a yard that's letting them go for cheap.

Intercoolers: Intercoolers are also nice if the yard's not too greedy. The best finds are the NPR I/Cs from the cab-over Isuzu delivery trucks if your yard has any trucks. Actually, any light and meduim trucks with turbo diesels are worth a look at for the intercooler. My brother picked up a nice McCord IC for me from a GM delivery truck with a Cummins. Also, keep an eye on TCs, on very rare occasion, you may find one with a FMS front-mount IC which can be pawned for a good deal of change.

Jake
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti
    1979 Mustang Cobra, 2.3l, 4 spd; currently in as many pieces as possible.

FEP Super Member

E6 manifolds- 86+ svo, merk, t-bird

35lb squirters- see above

Uncracked heads- good luck.

T-bird intercoolers

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

An easy upgrade your your car would be ;

85.5-86 Turbo Coupe computer , or an XR4Ti computer. Would be either a PC1 or a PK1. Plug and play and allows you to slip in 35lb injectors. Dirt cheap computer too.

Then add the 3 inch exhaust. Bit of money , but the biggest improvment you can make.

From here, its an easy upgrade to find any intercooler you think would fit well, such as the Conquest one I am using and plumb it in..

Now bump the boost. Easy way and accurate way to do this is to grab the wastegate hose fitting on the front of the turbo from the car you got the computer out of (dont want the fitting from an 87-88 TC). Screw it into your turbo and run your wastegate hose like normal. Leave the other nipple open. This will give you 15 PSI all the time. Then a simple carefull drilling out of that same nipple will raise the boost.

Now your ready for the fuel pump. I dont recommend going over 15 PSI without replacing the pump. I have done it, but its not smart(I am downright stupid running 20+psi)

After this, get your Autozone remanufactured PE computer for 100 bucks.
    With it you need a big VAM as found in the 87-88 Turbo Coupes , or ANY SVO.

Now your looking at interinals and you have a million different options. Such as the cheap route of running a Ranger roller cam as found in the 91-and up Rangers and 91-93 Mustangs. Personaly, I dont like this cam without running an adjustable cam gear with atleast 4 degrees of retard.

If you want to be really cheap...............
    I have had good results keeping teh STOCK computer and just swapping on both the big VAM and the 35lb injectiors! Just need to back the fuel pressure off a pound or two for it to be prefect, but as is is still pretty good. I think I might go back to that set up myself. The two even each other out for the most part.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

Like on TF, im left with nothing to post because everybody else got here first, that and I dont know anything anyway

Oh well, postcount ++

*Time to find a way to have fun in my car without burning all my damn gas, damn that boost is adictive!*
    It puts the ATF in the T5... IT DOES AS IT'S TOLD!!!!!

jazzcat2001

and if anyone has any of the above mentioned parts and would like to donate them to the "Jazzcat's car would like to not run 21's anymore fund" you can send me a pm and i will gladly send you my address...i will even cover shipping if i need too

Malleus Banificarum

LOL! Good try. Mine actually has a turbo and is so beat to death that I doubt it'd do much better than a 21. Everything is worn out, poor thing.

FEP Senior Member

Thanks for the info... I'm still trying to decide which way to go with my 2.3t... so all of this is good for me...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

Malleus Banificarum

Now that I'm getting a chance to read and re-read this, this is exactly what I've been hoping to find. Maybe someday I'll get my LSC going again and I can take the time to put it to use!!

Keep it coming, guys, this is fantastic!

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by evlrs84
    Now that I'm getting a chance to read and re-read this, this is exactly what I've been hoping to find. Maybe someday I'll get my LSC going again and I can take the time to put it to use!!

Keep it coming, guys, this is fantastic!
    I have been slowly gathering parts for the turbo Gt.

As of right now i have a SVO ecu, big vam, kirban, fresh T-3, ported E6, spare complete motor and trans (SVO), 190lph pump, and a T-bird intercooler. Been trying to find the time to yank both heads and see if either one is good. Going to get a fresh rebuild on the head with a mild port job.

It's taking forever but i want everything perfect on the car and the 86 comes first. Now i just need to figure out what i wanna do for a intercooler.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Blog Entries

Here's another one:

Getting rid of the stock air box. What do you replace it with? I know people must make their own or obtain ways of moving the VAM and putting a K&N on there, right? Part numbers, ways to cheap it and cheat it?

Some say that the stock air box is fine and dandy, save for the little screen inside. And K&N apparently makes a filter for that style air box.

But if someone wanted purely a cone filter, I believe the part # is RE0930

86 50CPRI

Nobody mentioned the VOLVO intercooler.Or the Hybrid turbo-T3/T4,but then again it was for junkyard spotting initially,right?

side note--Ranger roller cams --I thought they came out in '87 or '88,but I could be wrong.I am hoping my '88 has a roller in it--one less thing to buy when I finally make the swap.

Pete

Volvo Intercoolers should only be used if you get them for less than $20...otherwise you're paying too much.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    Volvo Intercoolers should only be used if you get them for less than $20...otherwise you're paying too much.
    Plastic tanks and wont take to much boost.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    Plastic tanks and wont take to much boost.

kyle
    Thats why you strap um

Malleus Banificarum

TTT for updates and stuff.

94/95 5.0 t/b is pretty much a replica of the 2.3 but is a 60 or 65mm. It is pretty easily modified to work. Kits are avilable but I did it for about $10. The kits are nicer tho.

Unfortunately j/y parts is all we have. I think my t3/t4 and fuel pump was the only non j/y upgrade I have done. Oh yea and exhaust.

The nice thing is there were so many versions of the engine/parts you can upgrade cheap. But I wish the aftermarket supported the 2.3T better. If I could buy a intake, header, cam, and head for what it would cost for 5.0 stuff I'd be on it!

For I/Cs also check the audi 5000. They have some nice looking ones that look to easily adapt to the 2.3T. The inlet/outlet is on the same side.

Rich.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

You know what would be a great addition to this thread is pictures of the parts... I am very interested to know more about cams etc... If anyone has pictures so we can see what we are looking for that would be awesome. I will try and see what I can find at the junk yard. I am hoping to get there this weekend.
    The economic times suck... GREAT TIME FOR BUYING FOXES!!!

86 T-TOP RS, 32,000 Miles, near mint ONLY 320.00USD...

http://www.fordturbo.com has quite a few pictures of some of these parts.

Speaking of JUNKYARD 2.3 turbo scores................

One guess who bought a COMPLETE XR4Ti engine from the junkyard yesterday for 150 bucks? From the turbo to the injectors and from the pan to the TB.

Did I forget to mention if was stuffed with a MOTORSPORT A-237 roller cam and indexed cam gear? Head looks fresh too. Lets all hope for me that its a big valve head too
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by GT350R
    Speaking of JUNKYARD 2.3 turbo scores................

One guess who bought a COMPLETE XR4Ti engine from the junkyard yesterday for 150 bucks? From the turbo to the injectors and from the pan to the TB.

Did I forget to mention if was stuffed with a MOTORSPORT A-237 roller cam and indexed cam gear? Head looks fresh too. Lets all hope for me that its a big valve head too
    Well look at the lucky SOB... I hate you.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

lol, you going to use it or just gloat?
    The economic times suck... GREAT TIME FOR BUYING FOXES!!!

86 T-TOP RS, 32,000 Miles, near mint ONLY 320.00USD...

Quote Originally Posted by GT350R
    One guess who bought a COMPLETE XR4Ti engine from the junkyard yesterday for 150 bucks?
    Yeah

I hate you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast