Close

Musti81

Default FRPP C-Springs or Eibach?

Can't decided which ones to get. The Eibach springs im looking at lowers the front by 1.7", rear 1.5". The FRPP C springs is front 1 1/8", rear 1". I will likely stick in a 351W block. Should i run the C springs so it doesn't lower the car that much, with the weight of the engine? I wonder whats the weight difference between the 302 & 351W. What struts are you guys running with lowering springs? I already have red koni's for the rear. THANKS

FEP Senior Member

A friend of mine has a set of FRPP "E" springs that he ad on his '95 GT that we are going to install on my '86 when he comes back into town.

Thing is.. when he opened the box of the FRPP springs.... the instructions are from Eibach.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

Musti81

Interesting.....I guess i should base my purchase on the height drop then.

FEP Senior Member

you also need to keep in mind that the 351 is a much heavier engine so the drop will be more in the front than listed.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

Musti81

I agree....i dont need my car to bottom out at speed bumps. I believe anything more that 1.5" in drop, you need caster camber plates to correct the alignment. So then I will likely run the FRPP springs.

Whatever you get just make sure its specific rate springs. Progressives make the car have an unsettled feeling when you start driving it hard.

Eibach makes the springs for Ford. A friend of mine lowered his 98GT and was worried about voiding the warranty(about a month after he bought it) so instead of getting Eibachs he paid the extra $80 for the Ford Racing springs. When he opened the box he found out the springs were made by Eibach and repackaged into Ford boxes. Ehey had the Eibach logo and part number right on the springs.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Travis T

I've got the C springs in my car and I like them. However, Ford is off on how much it will lower your car, they dropped mine 2" in the front, if not more. It's still not too low, though. Mine set up really high before, I could put my hand sideways in between the fender opening and the top of the tire.

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

I have the Eibach pro kit springs on my 90 and I love them. By far the best riding lowering springs I have ever used (I have tried about 5 different brands). You cant put too much stock in the numbers that they advertise as far as what drop you will get. Different cars will get a different drop. A heavy vert will drop more than a stripped LX. Each manfacturer doesnt nessecarily rate their spring based on the sme exact vehicle as all the others. I think I got about 1.5" drop. I am running 17" cobra r's with 255's all the way around and I have NEVER had a tire rub.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Here, I took a picture so you can see how much drop ypu get with the Eibach pro-kit springs. The back looks high in the picture for some reason but it actually sits pretty level with the front. Maybe cause theres not a drop of fuel in the tank, who knows.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

I have the C-springs in my 2000 and am pretty happy with them, so I'll probably go with them again for the 83 when the time comes to tackle that this summer.
    2000 V6 - Sold
    '84 GT - Sold
    '83 5.0 Vert GLX - Topless Project Car
    '65 289 - Dad's Toy

Travis T

I can't remember where I got my springs, but they had a deal that if you mentioned your car was registered with the 82-93 GT registry, they'd cut you a price break. I bougth them because they were only $134 shipped to the door.

Is the above right about the drops around 1 inch not needing aftermarket caster camber plates? Very intrested. Thanks
    Joe E.