Close

Thread: McLaren M81

Cee Gee

Default McLaren M81

Hi all,

I'm new to this board and am trying to find out any info on the value of a 1981 McLaren M81. I'm going to see it this Sunday morning. It's build #9 it has 820 miles on it. I was wondering if any here could venture a guess as to what a good offer for it would be?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Cee Gee

FEP Power Member

dang, almost anything?
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

FEP Member

pretty damn rare if its for real. how much are you thinking of offering?

http://www.mustang5.freeserve.co.uk/page9.htm

Cee Gee

Default McLaren M81

I'm looking for advice. My sense is to be in the $20-30K range but I don't want to over-pay.

This is the only white M81 ever made.

Cee Gee

FEP Member

I am sorry but being that there were only 10 made, it really doesn't set precedence for pricing. I think you're on your own. I can't speak for everybody, but I think it is a little out of our scope of knowledge, to even venture you an estimate on such a vehicle. Especially being that 99.9% of the general public , including myself, has never even seen one. I am sorry no one could help you. I am sure they would if they had the knowledge to do so.

Anonymous

Default Re: McLaren M81

Quote Originally Posted by Cee Gee
    I'm looking for advice. My sense is to be in the $20-30K range but I don't want to over-pay.

This is the only white M81 ever made.

Cee Gee
    Here's a few pics of the white one.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/a...81_airdam.html

As far as pricing goes, it's tough. An orange one only went to around $12k on eBay awhile ago and a guy with a blue Enduro GT, (same body, Motorsport show car, V8 ) has failed to get anywhere close to $15k, whether on eBay or in ads elsewhere. Another orange one was for sale for a long time in the $15k area and has seemed to just kind of float around from dealer to dealer that puts a huge price on it. The red Enduro GT as seen at Nashville this year was also on eBay and somewhere around $10K

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/a...durofrt1a.html

A few more thoughts. Do you plan on driving this car much?? If so, you'll go nuts worrying about damaging the unobtanium body pieces. Do you plan on modifying the car?? If so, there goes the collector value. You might want to check on insurance too since there really isn't much precedence for an '81 Mustang valued at 20-30k.

I went through all of this when I heard of the white car being for sale a long time ago and after many years of wanting an M81 finally realized, as cool as it is, I didn't want to be a slave to the upkeep of one. It's your money but just realize these aren't the easiest cars to sell and you will lose a ton of money if you need to dump it for any reason.

Sandy Here:-

I had an opportunity to buy the white one, Oh about 1996, for $15,000. It was in Ct. The owner was #2. Since then it's had many owners. It began around 29 miles. Now it into the (I forget) 700s? I agree with my good friend Tom, just before me, You can't drive it on the street, replacement body panel are nowhere, if hit, the value go to ZIP. It needs constant storage. Insurance, however is not a problem. Grundy will insure, stated value, no miles limitation. $18,000 is appox. $255.00 @ year for full coverage. It's nice garage furniture, but little else. Think of it as a coin collection that you keep under the bed, or in a drawer. Other than this one, there was a single black one, now in Italy, and 7 in "Bittersweet Orange". Plus 2 Enduros. Total = 11 units.
    To answer your question, my offer would be $15,000 and I would not come up one cent. It was sold a long time ago for $10,000, with like 200 miles on it.
    1990 ascMcLaren - Azura Blue - 2,033 miles
    1990 ascMcLaren - Sterling Silver - 7,237 miles
    (1 of 2 "Silver Anniversary Editions" Manufactured)
    1986 ascMclaren Coupe - Charcoal - 688 miles
    1993 Cadillac Sixty Special - Midnight Plum Purple 9,785 miles
    2003 Lincoln Town Car LTD Edition- Silver-Green 11,667 miles
    2001 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Limited "Final-500 Edition" 4X4 45,002 miles
    2/25/'08

Cee Gee

Tom,

Wow thanks for all the info. I also talked to another gentleman who had a chance to buy this car afew years ago.

Your reply has given me other aspects of ownership of such a car to think about. I have a Bullitt GT that stays garaged all the time and I've also got an 86' SVO that my son and I are restoring. And then there are the other two daily drivers. Lots to think about.

Thanks again,

Cee Gee

Cee Gee - Let us know if you don't buy it... I will make a space for it in my garage!!!
    88 LX - Wide Body
    84 GT - Wide Body
    94 Ford F-350
    63 Ford Fairlane
    03 GT

my site --> www.franknstangs.com

Cee Gee

Sandy,

Thanks for the reply. I saw #9 this morning and it is one sweet museum piece. You and Tom are correct. It is nice garage furniture.

It has been kept in an unheated garage for about 2 years. The fiberglass and paint have deteriorated. It appears that it was originally orange as the paint is peeling away from the striker plate under the rear hatch. There is also some peeling of the lower silver cladding that reveals white paint beneath. Seems like it was painted with enamel paint. It does run great and has a very sweet exhaust note.

I think it needs a complete exterior resto. Done correctly it's $$$$$. But then It really needs to be stored in a controlled environment. I have a huge game room in my house that it would look great as a center-piece but I don't think my wife would go for that.

I have about a dozen pics I took but I don't know how to post them here.

If any one is interested email me at: carl@everestcomms.com and I'll share 'em with you.

I have not decided what to do but I'll figure it out this week.

Cee Gee

Cee Gee

Here's a link to another site where I am able to post photos of the M81

http://www.imboc.com/phpBB/viewtopic...985&forum=11&7

FEP Super Member

That is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!! And i love the early 80s ford motorsport sticker in the window..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP User

Sorry I wasn't able to get the photos up for you. I got called off for a short notice temporary duty, and just got home last night. Gotta love working for Uncle Sam sometimes.

Default white m81 from 45th anniversay car show in al

all orginal car #9. this was a sweet car only seen two in person last one was in red at the 40th anniversay mustang show in tenn.
    Last edited by 79turbocobra; 07-25-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Wow, revived a 5 year old thread....

I believe that's Kendal's M81....

88 GT 'Vert original owner

saw this car at the 45th anniversary show hell of a car and the guy who owned it was very nice and told me alot about this car.
    Last edited by 79turbocobra; 06-01-2009 at 06:15 PM.

I would drive the hell outta one, on the weekends, lol.

Values???

A 1982 California Highway Patrol Mustang was sold last Friday night at the Russo & Steele auction in Monterey California during auction week for $20,000 including auction buyers fee.

As a point of note. This car was the LAST car auctioned Friday evening which is a bad auction slot and the car still brought $20K!

I personally know of 4 Fox Body Mustangs that have sold for MORE than $20K in the last month. 2 of the 4 sales were over $30,000! 2 of these sales were Four Eye and 2 of these sales were Aero cars.

Want a unique Fox Body Mustang? Better get em NOW while they are CHEAP!!!!1
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Cee Gee please send the pics you have of the M81 my way if you still have them and are still on here!
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Values???

A 1982 California Highway Patrol Mustang was sold last Friday night at the Russo & Steele auction in Monterey California during auction week for $20,000 including auction buyers fee.

As a point of note. This car was the LAST car auctioned Friday evening which is a bad auction slot and the car still brought $20K!

I personally know of 4 Fox Body Mustangs that have sold for MORE than $20K in the last month. 2 of the 4 sales were over $30,000! 2 of these sales were Four Eye and 2 of these sales were Aero cars.

Want a unique Fox Body Mustang? Better get em NOW while they are CHEAP!!!!1
    Old post, but quoted for truth. Every time somebody tells me that Fox Mustangs will never be worth anything, I can't help but think back to the days when Ed C. was buying ZL-1 Camaros for chump change, five grand would buy the nicest Hemi E Body convertible on earth, and entry level cars like 383 Road Runners could be bought for the change in your ashtray.
    Last edited by Droog; 03-10-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Interesting info on the M81s. I wonder why the values/sales have not been strong for cars with les than 10K miles and ultra low production. I guess popularity has something to do with it.

One of the guys on our local NASA board posted a pic of his dad's M81. It looks to be black, but it's a b&w photo.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    Interesting info on the M81s. I wonder why the values/sales have not been strong for cars with les than 10K miles and ultra low production. I guess popularity has something to do with it.

One of the guys on our local NASA board posted a pic of his dad's M81. It looks to be black, but it's a b&w photo.
    There was only 1 black M81, it was for sale in Italy a couple of years ago.
    Kendal

He posted that his dad's was not the real deal. It was a Mustang with the McLaren DSO kit offered by the dealers.

Hard to make out from the pictures:
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback