Close

Thread: TIRES!!!

petes85gt

Default TIRES!!!

So it looks like its that time again. I 'm looking to get some new tires, anyone have any suggestions for good tires? I'm in Alabama so it doesn't snow, but good wet traction would be good. Also has anyone tried running a different tire other than 225/60's. I seem to find more tires that are 235/60's and wondered if anyone was using them. Anyways any help would be appreciated.

when i was still using my ten holes, I had fairly good luck with cooper cobra tires, plus I kinda liked the cobra on the side wall.......I was running 235 60 by the way, I noticed no ill effects or anything, speedo was a little off, but that was mostly due to the 4.10 gears.
    btw, what part of Alabama are you from?
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

Yeah speak up ... What part of Bama?

My Capri rubs up front with 225/60's
    Brett
    ------
    85 Capri GS 5.0, 5 speed, T-top 147,000 miles.
    Offroad H-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers.

My WebShots Gallery!

FEP Senior Member

i am running 225x55 bfg comp T/As , i love the way they stick to the road .

josh
    86 GT , 5speed, stock 86 block and cam, ported e7s, cobra upper and lower intakes,65mm tb,U/Ds,no A/C or smog,reflashed computer, BBK longtubes, custom 2 1/2 o/r xpipe, magnaflow catback,c-springs, koni's all around,and 16x8 AR wheels.

85 coupe-project sleeper

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

When I ran 10 holes on my 86 I used 255's on the rears. They filled up the wheelwells nicely.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

FEP Senior Member

Hiya fellow 'Bama resident...

I've run 235/60s with no major ill effects. Some rubbing, but I have rubbing with the stock size 225/60s. I didn't feel like the car handled as well, since the tire was a little taller.
    Having owned my car for 18 years, I've had the opportunity to put a few different sizes and brands on her. Dunlop, BFG, Michelin, Falken, Yokohama, Goodyear, McCrarey...

I'm thinking about trying some 245/50s or some 235/55s when these wear out.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

for tire brands, i like goodrich, goodyear, pirelli, dunlop, kelly springfield, yokohama, and kuhmo. you can add michelin to the list also. as for the kuhmo's, they stick like glue in the wet, even on my grand marquis!
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

petes85gt

Thanx for the help! I live around Montevallo, about 30 minutes south of Birmingham. The problem is that the only tires that anyone has in stock are around $110-125 a pop and thats a little more than I'm looking to pay. The Yokohomas I have on now worked really well and if I recall correctly were only about $70. Oh well gonna keep looking...I'll hit some more places Friday.

check out www.tires.com it is the website for discount tires. they have good prices on tires.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

FEP Senior Member

One way to keep a good size is to move down a notch in speed rating, from V to H or even down to S. You can save $20-$30 or more per tire depending on brand that way.

But.

You are going to sacrifice handling and some ride quality as the H-rated tires will have a less stiff sidewall and S will be less stiff than H.

It's a trade off. :shrug:
    --John

When I got my tries NTB would not put anything less than H rated on there. I tried they said nope store policy is to put back factory rating or better. My Falkens were not too bad. I have been happy with them as a daily driver tire. If I remember my total cost was $420 on the set.
    Brett
    ------
    85 Capri GS 5.0, 5 speed, T-top 147,000 miles.
    Offroad H-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers.

My WebShots Gallery!

I'm running 235/60R14, they dow pretty good. If you're looking for some cheap tires that do pretty good dry and wet, I'm running Mohawk Predator SRS tires... they're an off-brand, but they only times I've spun the tires in the rain is from letting the clutch out too fast on hills... I've pushed it fairly hard around some corners and stopped pretty hard in the rain and they do pretty good. They make a bit of noise, though.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 85CapriGS
    When I got my tries NTB would not put anything less than H rated on there. I tried they said nope store policy is to put back factory rating or better. My Falkens were not too bad. I have been happy with them as a daily driver tire. If I remember my total cost was $420 on the set.
    well.. Gee... why did they back down to H-rated then? You car came with V-rated. That's a BS policy to ensure they get...
    a) a larger sale off everyone.
    b) fewer satisfaction returns because the tire handles worse.
    --John