Close

Default Value on a less than average condition Grand Prix Capri

Found a potential diamond in the rough. Don't know if it is worth the money though. Detroit Grand Prix car. VIN checks out. Car needs body work(Misc rust, dents, fiberglass repair), cracked windshield, paint, floorboard. All smog and air equipt removed as well as non original block. Interior isn't too bad. Stickers were removed when car was repainted after an accident. Runs and drives ok but just not sure what that thing should go for. On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 4. Any help on putting a value on this thing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

it would take a lot since all the GPIV stuff is gone but if youre gonna take the time to restore it back to the GP IV originality then go for it

as for price, i have no idea
    1985 Capri RS

I looked at that car a few monthes ago.. For what he is asking I would say the car is worth it. I decided to buy the 85 ASC in Dallas instead. I would say gor for it...
    88 LX - Wide Body
    84 GT - Wide Body
    94 Ford F-350
    63 Ford Fairlane
    03 GT

my site --> www.franknstangs.com

Quote Originally Posted by capri_fandango
    it would take a lot since all the GPIV stuff is gone but if youre gonna take the time to restore it back to the GP IV originality then go for it
    What makes you say that?

Most of the asc stuff can be bought in Florida. I think the front is just a Capri RS nose and the side and rear ground effects can be bought from Hank in FL. The rear wing *might* be able to be purchased from Hank but if he's out, you can hunt ebay and the boards as one pops up now and again.

The graphics/decals are probably going to cost the most. They may need to be just painted on.

Everything else should be just normal Mercury Capri GS parts. Out of all the ascMcLarens built I should think that the GPIVs are the CHEAPEST to restore.

Save the car, its rare....it clocks in at #3 on the list of rare Capris:

#03 at 030 made the asc/McLaren G.P. IV Pace Cars of 1985

-Mike

i just think that with something like that you cant just get away with a a half-assed resto mod or almost a GP it has to b e perfect or it wont be worth anything, and it would be a shame to let that happent to those cars
    1985 Capri RS

Quote Originally Posted by capri_fandango
    i just think that with something like that you cant just get away with a a half-assed resto mod or almost a GP it has to b e perfect or it wont be worth anything, and it would be a shame to let that happent to those cars
    True, those cars need to be put back to original. Just as Mustang Pace Car looks goofy without the correct color or decals, the same goes for this car. I priced things ( www.ascmclaren.com ) and it will cost about $1520 to get the asc parts back on the car...$1020 if you don't want the front or rear headlight covers which tend to break during installation anyways.

I just would hate to scare the guy off from buying the car thinking it would cost $5k in specialty parts or that they were impossible to obtain.

Even if the car is restored back to its original color and as a Capri, it wouldn't be hard in the future to go that extra distance and get the correct parts on it.

I guess I see $1500 as a drop in the bucket compared to all the asc parts I had to buy for my car which was around $7k as pretty much the entire package was missing.

-Mike

true, i was just saying that i dont want to see it done half ass
    1985 Capri RS

If you don't want it, tell me where it's at. I'll go buy it!
    ~Scott

~1979 RS, 396 Stroker Windsor, Tremec, 3.55 8.8, big brakes, 6-point cage. Way too much to list!
    ~1985 GPIV, under restoration...
    ~1995 Eddie Bauer Bronco w/ minor mods.
    ~2006 Yamaha R1. Stock, and the fastest vehicle in my garage!

I agree with the others who say that the GPs, ASCs and Pace Cars should be restored back to completely original. I feel they are a rare and significant enough cars that they should be saved as such. If this is your dream car and you have the means available, GO FOR IT!

Personally, I wouldn't buy it because I would feel compelled to take it back to original, and I'm not that much in love with that particular car or it's lack of performance by today's standards. Although I am quite fond of the 4-eyed appearance, I am looking for a much lesser '86 Mustang GT or Capri 5.0, potentially in need of a fair amount of work, that I wouldn't feel guilty about restomodding into a car that would end up seeing a lot of track duty.
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer