Close

Thread: Tire help?

83Capri

Default Tire help?

I'm purchasing a set of 17x9 cobra 4 lug rims for my 83 capri. The tires i have chosen for the back are bfgoodrich comp drag radials. the size of the tires are 275/40/17 with an outside diameter of 25.7". The front tires are kuhmo ecsta 711's. The sizes of these tires are 245/45/17 they also have an outside diameter of 25.7". Will there be any rubbing in the back or in the front when i turn the wheels? Is this a good choice for my car?

FEP Senior Member

Is your suspention stock or lowered?
    1985 Mustang Vert. ~GONE
    1988 Nissan 300zx Turbo 54k miles
    1996 Ford Windstar
    2002 Ford Explorer Sport

245mm tires rubbed the front subframe sections on my '83 GT and the suspension was/is stock. The tire's outermost portion of the sidewall was also less than a ½" from the strut's dust cover.

245mm tires also have no business going on a 9" wheel. That would be a 9.65" tire on a 9" wheel.

9" wheel = 275mm tire
    7.5" wheel = 245mm tire

Also....ECSTA 711s suck in wet weather. Get the 712s.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

hey foxchassis, what tires did you end up using on front then? and what size rim?

16" x 7" "Pony" wheels on all four corners
    P245/45ZR16 BFG Comp T/A ZR4 on front
    P245/50ZR16 BFG Comp T/A ZR4 on rear

Yes, a 245mm tire is larger than I recommend for a 7" wheel. I did that combo before I knew better. The tires would rub the subframe at about ¾ lock.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

thanks for the info foxchassis. just out of curiousity, if you could do it all over, what sizes would you run.

I will be going to at least 17" wheel, with properly sized tire of course. Probably wider in the rear than in the front. No pizza cutters though. But the suspension won't be stock. Neither will the brakes. I'll be doing SN95 stuff for both.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

83Capri

I am using the stock suspension on my car. So what should i do about the 17x9's up front cause from where i'm getting the wheels theys don't have any smaller size than 17x9. So what tire would you recommend me getting from the front. Also will the tires on the back fit with out any problems.

I'd say you need to shop elsewhere, for wheels that aren't so wide up front. And if you're stuff on the Kuhmo Supra ECSTA's, I made a recommendation.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Senior Member

This may not be true of all versions of Kuhmo tires... but I have known 2 people to have them who had major problems keeping the tires balanced. I've heard good things about Falken's newer tires.

I agree with FC, if the place you're thinking of buying from doesn't offer the size you want/need... find someone else who does.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

Have had nothing but driving pleasure from a set of Kuhmo Supra ECSTA 712s.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder