Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Black interior interchangeability guide

EDIT 8/19/04 - see page 5 for an updated version of the article

This is only a start. It's not perfect, PLEASE correct any errors you find. Please feel free to add to it because I know I have left out some stuff. For example, I'm clueless when it comes to the sunshades. I don't know if i'm posting this in the correct forum, but i'm hoping, when this is complete enough, one of the mods or admin can put it up somewhere with other tech articles.

Seat Belts
    1990 Front seat belts will mount on your 1979-1989 Fox Body mustang, however 1991-1993 Front seat belts, have different mounting tabs, and will not work on 1979-1989 mustangs without cutting new slots for the mounting tabs. 1979-1983 rear black seat belts will work on all 1979-1989 mustangs that are doing a black interior conversion. 1990-1993 mustangs have rear shoulder harness seat belts, and will not directly bolt into a 1979-1989 mustang. If 1990-1993 rear seat belts are used on 79-89 foxes, then the 90-93 rear seat needs to be used, and the seat mounting brackets will need to be welded onto the floor pan, as well as modifications for mounting the seat belts.
    For 83-89 mustangs, you can use 79-83 black front and rear seat belts, or 1990 front seat belts with 79-83 rear black belts. All the black buckles are the same for 79-83 and 90-93.
    If you plan on using 1990 Front seat belt retractors with a 79-89 Mustang, the 90 seat belt retractors don't have that cable that plugs into the door jam. If you use 1990 front seat belts, you will have a hole in your door jam. To fix this, you can get a rubber plug to plug up the hole. There is an oval rubber plug used on all 79-93 Mustangs under the rear bumper cover where the rear quarter panel meets the tail light panel. I've heard 79 and 80 mustangs have this plug in the door jam and that you can use this plug from those two year mustangs.

Rear ¼ Trim Panels
    In 1990, ford mounted the front seat belts about an inch or so higher up. So 1990-1993 rear 1/4 trim panels will not work on a 1979-1989 mustang, without relocating the seat belt mount.
    If your converting your 1979-1982 mustang to black interior, then you must use 1979-1982 rear ¼ trim panels. If you have a 1983-1986 mustang, for a direct fit without modifications, you can only use 1983 rear ¼ trim panels. 1983 ¼ trim panels are the same design as the 84-86 panels. 79-82 panels are a different design, and will not directly swap over to 83-86 mustangs. 1983 is the last year for black interior, so if your converting your 83-86 mustang to black interior, good luck locating the ¼ trim panels. If your converting your 87-89 mustang to black interior, then you have two options for ¼ trim panels, if you plan on keeping your 87-89 style interior. You can relocate the front seat belt mount hole and use 90-93 ¼ trim panels, but you’ll also need to convert your rear seat belts to the 90-93 rear shoulder harness belts as well, since 90-93 panels have cut outs for shoulder harness belts. Your other option is to have your 87-89 style panels, dyed black.

Dash
    1979-1983 black dashes will swap over to 1984-86 Mustangs, however the dash frame on 79-82 is different. You’ll need to swap your 84-86 dash under frame onto the 79-82 dash, to get everything to bolt up. I believe 1983 dash frames will work on 84-86 mustangs. Do note that the radio opening is different then 84-86 dash radio openings. The glove box latch on 79-83 dashes is different, as well as the glove box. So when using a 79-83 dash, you’ll need to use your 84-86 glove box latch and glove box. 79-83 glove boxes are to large and will not work with your 84-86 mustang. They interfere with the heater core box. Your only option here is to dye your 84-86 glove box black. I know a lot of people are picky about having to dye their interior, but if done right, it will look good. Ford actually painted/dyed a lot their interior. If you look at your 79-86 dash, you’ll see overspray underneath the gauge cluster. You can actually paint/dye your 84-86 dash, if you don’t want to go through the trouble of locating and installing a 79-83 dash. If you use a 79-83 black dash, you may need to drill holes in the dash for where the fuel door/trunk release buttons go.

T-Top Specific
    1983 T-Top trim panels(not the End Caps) that cover the T-Top latches, will not work on 1984-1986 Mustangs. The 1983 latch trim panels are a different size, and wont work. Dying your 84-86 T-Top latch panels black is your only option here. The 1983 black end caps will work on your 84-86 mustang, 1979-1982 end caps will work on 83-86 mustangs, but you will need to trim the end caps. The front windshield pillar trim can be had off of a 1979-1983 Mustang hard top or T-Top. It’s all the same, however for T-Tops, ford actually cut the hard top pillar trim panels, so that they wont interfere with the T-Top end cap. If you use hard top windshield Pillar trim pieces, you’ll need to cut the pillar trim pieces where it interferes with the T-Top end cap. This isn’t a big deal, as this is what Ford did as well. Also note that Ford cut the rear ¼ trim panels as well so that they wouldn’t interfere with the rear T-Top end caps. Hard top ¼ trim panels will interfere with the rear T-Top end cap, so you’ll have to cut off the part of the ¼ trim panel that interferes. If your lucky enough to find any of these pieces from a T-Top specific car, then you’ll see how Ford cut these pieces for you, and you wont have to do any cutting.

Convertible Specific
    You don’t have too many options here. 1983 was the first year for convertibles, and the last year for black interior. 1983 verts did not have rear power windows. So if you are lucky enough to find black 1983 rear vert ¼ trim panels for your 84-86 convertible, then you’ll either need to convert to manual windows, or modify the panels to mount a power window switch, if your vert is equipped with rear power windows. 1990-1993 rear ¼ trim panels will not work on 83-86 convertibles, unless you convert to 1990-1993 front seat belts, and convert your power window harness to work with the 90-93 rear power window switch. If you can’t find 1983 rear ¼ trim panels for your 84-86 vert, then your only other option is to dye the panels that you already have.

Kick panels and door sills
    I believe 90-93 kick panels would be a direct swap for 84-98 mustangs. The 79-83 black kick panels are slightly different. The screw hole that mounts the kick panels to the carpet, is located in a different spot.
    Convertible kick panels are different then hatch/coupe kick panels. Door sills from 79-93 are all the same.

Headliner
    Coupe header is different then hatchback headliner. The two are not interchangeable, so don't try. 90-92 coupe headliner will work in 79-92 coupes. In 1993, ford changed the dome light, so if you use 93 headliner, you'll have to upgrade your dome light. The same is true for hatchback headliner.

Seats
    79-83 hatchback rear black seats wont work with 84-86 hatchbacks. 79-83 is not split folding like how 84-86 is. 90-93 rear seats wont work on 79-89 hatchbacks or coupes unless you upgrade your rear seat mounts to 90-93 rear seat mounts. 79-83 rear coupe black seats will work on all 79-89 coupes. I have 79-83 black rear coupe seats in my 88 coupe, everything fits great and looks OEM.

Carpet
    Coupe and hatch carpet will interchange. You can use 79-83 or 90-93. If you use 79-83, you might have to cut additional holes, but the actual carpet will be the same. Convertible carpet is different then hatch/coupe carpet. There are bigger holes cut in the sill area for the seat belts. In addition, convertible carpet goes up higher into the kick panel area.

Center Console
    79-83 Black Center consoles will work with all 79-86 mustangs/capris. However, if your using a 79-83 center console in an 84-86 mustang/capri, you may want to swap your stock clock/warning system into the 79-83 console. 85/86 mustangs have orange clocks mounted in their center consoles. You can remove an 85/86 clock/warning system and swap it into a 79-83 console, to keep everything displayed like how it should be for your year mustang. 90-93 black center consoles will swap into any 87-93 mustang. 90-93 black consoles will need a hole drilled for the fuel door release button.

Door Panels
    83-86 Convertible door panels and 79-86 hatch/coupe door panels are different. Convertible door panels have more carpet on their door panels then coupe/hatch door panels. The carpet on a convertible door panel goes a little less then half way up the door panel. I've seen an 83 GT Convertible with black interior that had door panels that look very similar to the 85/86 Mustang GT door panels. IMO, for a convertible, these are the best door panels to get, but are very scarce and will be next to impossible to find. Another option is to use 1983 Mustang GLX Convertible black door panels, or convert to the newer style 90-93 door panels. If you try to use hatchback door panels on your 84-86 Mustang, you'll have to modify the drivers door panel slightly because 84-86 Convertibles had front and rear power windows and a 4 way power window control switch on the driverside door panel, where as hatchbacks only have a 2 way power window switch on the driver side door panel.
    The 83 GT hatch door panels do not look the same as 85/86 GT door panels, but the 83 GT door panels do look the same as 84 GT door panels. 83 GLX door panels look closest to stock 85/86 GT door panels, but do have significant differences. IMO the 83 GT and GLX door panels are the best looking door panels for a 79-86 black interior conversion, without having to convert your doors to work with 90-93 door panels. IMO, I do not like the way 79-82 door panels look, but to each their own and they will still work. If your converting a 79-82, then you can stick with 79-82 panels or grab some 83 GT or GLX door panels. If your converting an 83-86 to black interior, i'd recommend sticking with 83 GT or GLX door panels. If your converting an 87-89 to black interior, stick with 90-93 door panels.
    90-93 convertible door panels are different then 90-93 coupe/hatch door panels. The inner door felt weatherstripping that runs along the width of the window, is longer on convertibles then on hatch/coupes. You can use convertible door panels with an 87-93 hatch/coupe, but the door felt weatherstripping will need to be trimmed.
    Do note that some Mustangs did not come with power windows, so if your Mustang/Capri has power windows make sure you get door panels for power windows, and vice versa if you don't have power windows. Also some model mustangs between the years 79-83, had the inside door latch mounted towards the bottom of the door panel, so pay attention to the location of the inside door latch and make sure the door latch on the donor car is located in the same spot as your door latch(the door latch that you pull to open the door).

Cargo Covers - info provided by Foxchassis
    The privacy shade/cargo cover breaks down as follows:

'80-early '84 (same length as late '84-'86)
    late '84-'86 (same length as '80-early '84)
    '87-'89 (shorter than '80-'86 due to redesigned trim)
    '90-'93 (shorter than '87-'89 due to redesigned trim to accomodate rear shoulder betls)

'80-early '84 attaches to the underside of the liftgate
    late '84-'93 attaches to the rear plastic that surrounds the liftgate striker

I'd like to give credit to those have provided me with info and have corrected me. Thanks to GNVair from corral.net for telling me about the seat belt retractor plugs. Thanks to GT350R for noting the differences between convertible carpet and coupe/hatch carpet, and pointing out the seat belt retractor cable issue, and the info about T-Top end caps, and thanks to Foxchassis for providing the info on the cargo cover differences.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

Damn, looks great! If you want, I can provide a picture of the difference in a 79 Vs. a 89 kick panel.

Convertible carpet is different then hatch or notch.

Big holes cut in the sill area for teh seat belts.

Also, convertible carpet goes up higher into the kick panel area. So cutting holes in hatch or notch carpet to use in a convertible will show a hole through to teh metal.

On the seatbelts, you forgot about the cable that does into the door jamb area to control the recoil. Only 79-89 has it. I dont believe the 90's have it but I can check my GT vert. So using 90 front black belts as you stated would leave a hole in the door jamb about the size of a quarter.

Using 79-82 rear quarter panels is no big deal. They just dont have the pocket next to the rear seat, and you need to trim down the backside of the holes that the mounting screws go through.

79-82 T-top trim caps are easily trimmed to fit. Took me about 4 minutes.

Convertible kick panels will not work on a hatch or notch.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

If it's not to much trouble, shoot some pics of those kick panels, i'd like to add pictures to the write up.

GT350R - thanks for pointing that stuff out. I'll make updates to it. I wasn't sure what you ment by this, i can't picture it right now, maybe it's to early still...

So cutting holes in hatch or notch carpet to use in a convertible will show a hole through to teh metal.

I'm sure there are ways to get the 79-82 1/4 trim panels to work, but i'm not sure how. None of the screw holes lined up when I tried on my 86, and the seat belt mount hole was a little different, and the panels wouldn't line up right to go under the door sills. If you or anyone else has any info on how to adapt the 79-82 panels, let me know, and i'll add it to the write up. I wanted to at least provide a writeup for interchangeability with the least amount of modifications. Thanks and keep the corrections coming.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

I'm a little confused on the vert carpet issue. I have carpet on the way now from a 90-93, but I think it is from a notch/hatch going into my 86 vert, am I going to have problems?

at one point you had a typo that said like 79-98, but now I can't find it.

The article is very good and complete, looks like you spent a lot of time on it. Perhaps you should include pics of your car as examples of the conversion process.

-on the seatbelt issue, you didn't mention it, but I'm pretty sure the 79-83 black fronts will work for 84-89 as well.

-also, on the convertible rear 1/4 pieces, it is important to mention that those pieces are actually a 2 piece design, vs the 83-89 design, which is completely different and a one piece design. For that matter, I'm not sure, but there is a good chance even if you find the 83 vert 1/4 panels, you may have fitment issues with it going into an 84-89.

-You didn't mention anything about door panels. We spent a lot of time looking at 10 thousand different door panel types. Note that the 83gt black door panels seem to be the only style completely identical to the 84-86gt style,....but you'll never find a pair.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Regarding the vert 1/4 trim panels, 87-89 don't have black 1/4 trim panels, and I doubt you'll want to use 83 vert 1/4 trim panels in a newer 87-89 mustang since the interior is different. So most likely 87-89 will have to dye their panels or adapt to the newer 90-93 black ones. With that in mind, are you saying the 83 black 1/4 trim panels are different then the 84-86 panels, other then the manual window crank on the 83 panels?
    You can use 79-83 black seat belts on an 87-89 if you want, but they wont look oem in an 87-89 mustang. 1990 fronts would look more oem with an 87-89 black interior conversion, however 79-83 will work, to each their own.
    i'll ad something about door panels later. I don'tknow whats involved in using 90-93 black door panels on a 79-86, so thats why I have left it out for now.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

what about my carpet, what do you think???

the rear vert 1/4 panel are all identical from 84-89 in style. Yes, besides the window crank being manual, those rear 83 1/4 vert panels are distinctive to 1983 alone, as they unbolt in two pieces, vs the 84-89 style which are one piece design, for that reason, I haven't attempted to put the 83 pieces I have on my vert.

Next time you are over, I'll show you. If you want, we can try a trial fitment on an 83 piece into my 86 vert just to see if it fits or not
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I don't know what to say about your carpet. Maybe GT350R can answer your question better? We'll have to check out your convertible carpet and compare to the carpet in my notch and see if it will interchange and still look good.

lets check out those 83 panels and see how they work. I'll have to revise the convertible section.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

i know it may be beyond the scope of what you're trying to do here, but you should think about addding a section on how to dye the panels you have to black for the people who can't find the black replacements. anyway, great write up, hopefully the mods will make this a sticky in the future

I think the point of this topic was to address a 'conversion' tech article that's on the burner right now (see HERE). That tech article would be/should be using original black panels and wouldn't be for dyeing panels. Dyeing interior panels should be in a separate topic or tech article.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

yeah, good point. i wasn't aware there was a tech article in the works. my bad. for a tech article that's all it should be is interchangeability and possibly the mods needed to make some "almost" interchangeable parts work. in which case, dyeing would be out of the picture.

I added a section for door panels. Does anyone have any pictures of the different 79-83 door panels? I have pictures of the 83 GLX door panels and 83 GT door panels, but nothing prior to 83 GT/GLX panels. If anyone has a 79-82 with black interior and can take pics of the door panels, that would be great.
    I'm also going to take pictures of the different 1/4 trim panels.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

i have a 79 ghia coupe. my interior is red for now, but i can get a pic of the style if that will help you. it has manual windows and locks. also has the map pockets. the pockets are starting to sag though. let me know if you could use these or if you only want black
    also, if you want them would you prefer in an email or posted here

Default Re: Black interior interchangeability guide

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Proof
    Do note that some Mustangs did not come with power windows, so if your Mustang/Capri has power windows make sure you get door panels for power windows, and vice versa if you don't have power windows.
    At least for the 85-86 door panels, door panels for non-power windows can be used easily for power windows. You just need to pop out the perforated cardboard piece out of the window crank area and install your switches.

You can go from non-power to power but not the reverse. I am not familiar with prior years so that may be different.

-Mike

Default Re: Black interior interchangeability guide

negusm - thanks for that bit of info about the door panels. I will add that a little later.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

What about the hatch cargo area cover device?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins89notch5.0
    What about the hatch cargo area cover device?
    Thats a good question. I know the 79-83's aren't the same as the 84-86's. I've heard the 87-89 are different and the 90-93 are different? I've heard something like there are a couple of types of cargo covers for 90-93.

Does anyone have information on the cargo covers? I need to add this, and have been doing some research. I found a thread on the corral explaining some of the differences, i'm trying to find that thread again. I'll post again as soon as I find out the info.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

This was posted by FoxChassis on the corral, here is the link...

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hreadid=420271

Th privacy shade/cargo cover breaks down as follows:

'80-early '84 (same length as late '84-'86)
    late '84-'86 (same length as '80-early '84)
    '87-'89 (shorter than '80-'86 due to redesigned trim)
    '90-'93 (shorter than '87-'89 due to redesigned trim to accomodate rear shoulder betls)

'80-early '84 attaches to the underside of the liftgate
    late '84-'93 attaches to the rear plastic that surrounds the liftgate striker

Does this sound correct?
    FoxChassis, if your reading this, would you mind if I used this info you posted, in my write up?
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

Sure man, but I want a nickel everytime somebody views this topic or any tech article your write.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I am not so sure on the accuracy of your yearly breakdown of the front seatbelts. I know 93's were different and have a different tab location. I think 90-92's are just like the older 87-89's but don't have the release button. I have no way to prove this other than I had at one time two sets of front black 90-93 seatbelts. They had different tab locations. I also don't think the seatbelts were mounted higher in 90. I am pretty sure it was 87. Try fitting an 87-89 rear 1/4 panel in an 85-86. The mount is lower on 83-86 cars for sure.

Where did you get your info on the rear 1/4 panels? I have trial fitted a 90-93 red panel in my 88 and it fits perfectly. the holes line up and everything.

Also on the door panels. In early production of 1988 they switched to lower mounted mirrors. You are correct that those door panels used on verts and some 88 t tops have longer felt weatherstripping. However the door panel itself is different because ford actually added a small piece of aluminum to the door panel in that spot because there is a cut out for the corner mounted mirrors. To make the convertible door panels work on all pre october '87 doors (early 1988 model production) and post october '87 hardtop doors (mid-late 1988 model to 1993) the felt stripping has to be trimmed and that small aluminum piece needs to be removed as well. I have personally performed that modification so I know this to be fact.

I am going to double check my references above to the seatbelt mounting hole for 90-93's and the seatbelt mounting tabs. I'll be visiting a junkyard that has over 100 mustangs from 79-93 tomorrow. I will make it a point to look at this in more detail. I used to know off the top of my head but my black interior pieces have been sitting in my garage for the better half of 3 years. I knew I should have written this stuff down.

I can document my progress with pictures and also document what the panels came from to more accurately break down the years if it is of any benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by silver85
    I am not so sure on the accuracy of your yearly breakdown of the front seatbelts. I know 93's were different and have a different tab location. I think 90-92's are just like the older 87-89's but don't have the release button. I have no way to prove this other than I had at one time two sets of front black 90-93 seatbelts. They had different tab locations. I also don't think the seatbelts were mounted higher in 90. I am pretty sure it was 87. Try fitting an 87-89 rear 1/4 panel in an 85-86. The mount is lower on 83-86 cars for sure.
    91-93 seat belts have different mounting tabs. 1990 seat belts will work with the older pre 90 Foxes, because the mounting tabs on the 1990 seat belts are have the same mounting tabs as the 79-89 seat belts. I know this because I have a set of 1990 black seat belts in my coupe. You are correct about the release button. I believe I made reference to that release button. There is a rubber grommet in the trunk of fox body mustangs, where the rear 1/4 trim panel meets the rear tail light panel. This rubber grommet will plug up the hole in your door jam where the release cable used to be.

Where did you get your info on the rear 1/4 panels? I have trial fitted a 90-93 red panel in my 88 and it fits perfectly. the holes line up and everything.
    I've trial fitted and compared an 88 Coupe 1/4 trim panel to a 1990-93 coupe 1/4 trim panel. The seat belt mount next to the 1/4 window is mounted higher up. I can take pictures to show the differences if need be. Maybe ford didn't mount the seat belts higher up on the hatches? I'll have to verify that. I believe the 79-82 hatches have the top seat belt mount slightly different then the 84-86's, which is another reason I couldn't get my 79-82 panels to work on my 86.

Also on the door panels. In early production of 1988 they switched to lower mounted mirrors. You are correct that those door panels used on verts and some 88 t tops have longer felt weatherstripping. However the door panel itself is different because ford actually added a small piece of aluminum to the door panel in that spot because there is a cut out for the corner mounted mirrors. To make the convertible door panels work on all pre october '87 doors (early 1988 model production) and post october '87 hardtop doors (mid-late 1988 model to 1993) the felt stripping has to be trimmed and that small aluminum piece needs to be removed as well. I have personally performed that modification so I know this to be fact.
    I have performed this modification too and you are absolutely right about that. The modification is very easy to do, however I didn't want to get into how to modify the 90-93 black convertible door panels to work with non convertible doors. That would be a different tech article write up in itself.

If it's not to much trouble, maybe you can take note of the top seat belt mount location on a 79-82 hatch, 83-86 hatch, 87-89 hatch and 90-93 hatch, and then do the same for the coupes? I guarantee you that 90-93 coupes have the top seat belt mount located higher up then the 87-89 coupes. It would be good to confirm this with the hatchbacks too. Thanks for the reply.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    Sure man, but I want a nickel everytime somebody views this topic or any tech article your write.
    hahaha, do you accept paypal?
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Proof
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    hahaha, do you accept paypal?
    Absolutely!
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

O.K. here are the measurements I got. These are measured from the top of the rocker panel not the floor pan to the center of the tapped hole for the seatbelt mount. They were also measured straight up. If the measurements were taken following the contour of the B pillar they would come out longer due to the curve.
    The measurements are the same for coupe and hatchback. I measured both. They are within ~1/16" give or take.

79-82 - 30 1/2"

83-86 - 30 7/8"

87-89 - 31 1/4"

90-93 - 33 1/4"

Looks like the 79-82 and 83-86 panels are just soooooo close to fitting between those years it is not funny.

You were right about the 90-93's 50proof! Go figure... I took a 90-93 panel and put it in my 88 again. The hole is above the mount. I did not pay that close attention to it last time. What I plan to do is cut another hole for the mount in the proper location then get a kick panel body clip in black and then drill a hole in the pillar. Then push the body clip in to cover the old hole. This will also benefit my car since it is a T top car by holding the panel up top so the end caps don't have as much stress on them.

Another good idea for this article is taking a picture of the inside where the seatbelt mounts to show the different hole alignment changes between 90 and 91. If I would have had my digital camera today I could have done that.

Ok, back on the subject of the caro covers, if friend had a black one from a 86, what would be a fair price for it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast