Close

Thread: Manual brakes?

Anonymous

Default Manual brakes?

I put a "WTB" in the wanted and for sale section for the adapter to put manual brakes on my 82 Mustang. While I was doing that the thought acured to me that there might be a difference in the brake pedal between manual and power brakes. Anybody have any experiance with this conversion that can give me some insite into what all I will need to complete the conversion? The only first hand experiance I have with converting from manual to power is with 60s mustangs. On those models(very brief discription) the brake pedals have different mounting points , the power pedal haveing less leverage (because its not needed) than the manual pedal. Is it the same with the 80s Mustang? Jerry

There was a guy on this site, and the corral looking for manual brake pedals for ever. I talked with him, and he stated that there was indeed a difference in the brake pedals, that's about all I know on this one though.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

FEP Senior Member

MM&FF did this with the project Frightening car. (which is cool as all get out)

http://musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0309mm_fright/

that's the chapter that covers how they did it.
    Basically, they re-located the mounting pin on the brake pedal and modified the activation bar to the master cylinder.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

Anonymous

Default Thanks

Thanks, I figured as much. I had a 79 capri once that had the manual brakes. I got the car for $50.00 put a head gasket on the four banger,drove the car for two weeks and sold it for $400.00. If I would have had time I gladly would have changed the car over to power and kept the manual parts. I guess I'll have to keep hunting or make my own parts. Jerry

Mike Croke

The pedal is different. The crosspin that engages the pushrod from the master cylinder is located differently to gain more leverage on the master cylinder. I got the pieces for my car from a junkyard for $60 including the master cylinder, adapter plate, and entire pedal assembly. I wound up using the master cylinder (orginally power) that I already had and just added the plate and pedal. Works well.

Anonymous

Default Brake pedal

Mike- Does the manual brake pedal mount (pivot point) in the same location or does it require a lower mounting location like the older Mustangs?

Mike Croke

The pivot point where the pedal attaches to the pedal assembly "cage" is the same but the crosspin that engages the master cylinder pushord is in a different location.

Anonymous

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I think i've got a line on the parts that I will need to do the swap. Jerry

gtluke

i actually modified my pedal to work
    i got a big bolt with the right size shoulder, drilled the right sized hole, cut the threads off the bolt, drilled a hole in it for the the pin, and welded it in.