Close

Default Need some help: Locating 3 alt. bracket bolts....

Ok, this relates to bolts.

i seem to have misplaced my alternator bracket bolts. it's 3 bolts that seem identical. Maybe aobut 2-2.5" in length. i don't know the diameter.

i'm putting back together my '84, and as far as finishing up the engine, i need these 3 bolts to get the bracket mounted.

Here is a pic of it's current status:

[sorry for a nasty looking engine bay, but this is my daily driver and need to get her back up and running.]

As you can see, there are no accessories on the pass. side. I'm ugrading to a 3g alt and the bracket has already been clearanced. Just need to bolt it together. I've gone through all the bolts I have laying around, and none fit the threads in the head.

If anyone gots a pic of these bolts or can supply me with dimensions, coarse/fine, size, it would be of great help.

thanks!
    1996 3.8L Sonic Blue Coupe

FEP Power Member

I can do this tomorrow evening, as my motor is torn down anyway (until Friday, hopefully!)

That would be great! That will help me out alot. I've been going crazy looking for these bolts.

FEP Power Member

No problem... I put everthing in baggies with labels (and bought a new set in My Summit (I spent "too much money" and all I got was this f'in T-shirt) shopping spree.....

also, when I needed flexplate bolts, I went to a ford dealer, they printed out a drawing of that area with part #'s and I told them which ones I needed.

I suggest going to a Ford dealer if nothing works out. Bolts are cheap, you can show them the ones you need, and they will pull up a parts list country wide, you can then order them from what ever dealer may have them. They probably don't make them anymore, but it seems like dealers still have lots of nos bolts/nuts laying around.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

hmm...this is not a bad idea...

I tried this, and got the sizes, then called the local bolt supply store and they have them in stock, $0.20 per bolt.

Sizes the dealer gave me:
    (2) 3/8" X 16 X 1-3/4" length
    (1) 7/16" X 14 X 1-3/4" length

Incase anyone needs this info.

FEP Power Member

Unfortunately, I have one bag missing (guess which one!) and the new bolt assortment did not come with the alt. bolts...

Sorry I couldn't help out...

lol, well hope you find it.

I finally got those bolts. i didn't get a chance to make it out to the bolt supply store, so I went to the local autozone and got them there. They didn't have the correct length, so i got the 2" L ones. I just put in a washer and presto! perfect fit.

thanks anyways! for both the help and ideas.