Close

FEP Senior Member

Default mac control arms ???

are mac control arms any good? they seem to be cheaper than the other brands and wander if they performe the same ? thanks in advance .

josh
    86 GT , 5speed, stock 86 block and cam, ported e7s, cobra upper and lower intakes,65mm tb,U/Ds,no A/C or smog,reflashed computer, BBK longtubes, custom 2 1/2 o/r xpipe, magnaflow catback,c-springs, koni's all around,and 16x8 AR wheels.

85 coupe-project sleeper

Anonymous

Howdy,
    Check into these X2C control arms, i bought a pair when they were $120 on special, now they're $149. Have energy suspensions bushings and are pretty nice in my opinion.

http://www.x2cmotorsports.com/cart/s...d=true&key=124

Hope that link works.

I am really starting to not like mac stuff. Maybe just me, but their stuff is overpriced for what they're selling. For $224 for just the mac ones, you can upgrade to X2C's race version which has an adjustable lower control arm with the spherical bushing for $239. And of course they're more out there for cheaper.

Later,
    Aaron

I bought the mac stuff, everything looked good, however, it wasn't what I wanted, so I sold it to a friend. Stay away from those macs, and those x2c arms, unless you get the upgraded X2c arms with the spherical bushings like he mentioned.

The regular mac arms and x2c arms have a polyeurothane bushing on both ends of the arm. This is extremely bad for street driven cars, as having poly on both ends will cause binding, effecting cornering, but more importantly, it will eventually rip out your torque boxes, and you will then have serious problems.

The ideal setup is poly on one end, and a good spherical bushing on the other. The more expensive X2c arms offer that, along with Maximum Motorsport, (which are debateably the best arms out there). There are also pro3i arms, which I went with. their street/strip arms have the poly/spherical setup and are a near identical max motorsport knockoff at a cheaper price.

Do your homework before purchasing arms, and don't be afraid to spend a little more for something that is going to save you a lot of headaches in the future.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

how would the poly/spherical arms be on the street though? i've always heard that you want poly on one end and rubber on the other. wouldn't the spherical ends make it more harsh? how about longetivity? what do you think of the bbk rear arms? i heard those were supposed to be some of the best also. don't know what they run for bushings though. a little off topic, but what does everyone think of the torque arm set up (mm, griggs) as compared to a good set of upper/lower arms? worth the money?

spherical imo is the best. you would have to see a pic of the bushing to really understand how it works, but the spherical bushing is actually a metal busing, and it moves freely with the axle end.
    Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

is that a street car you used those in? if so are they lasting? i don't know much about these, but i thought i read something a while ago about the spherical bushings wearing faster? don't know if there's any truth to that though.

It is in a 99% street car. I can't answer your longevity questions, other than I haven't heard any complaints on the pro3i/max motorsport setup, and the fact that they look durable as hell. I'm going to attach a bunch of pictures of the pro3i lowers, and one of my cobra uppers. this is what went into my 86 gt. It should give you a pretty good picture of what we are talking about here, and hopefully enough data to help with your decision.

Here is the 93 cobra upper with the pro3i lowers

here is that "spherical end" you can see how it is very durable looking, and moves with the axle. That metal sleeve actually rotates around. It all seems very solid.

here is a shot without the sleeve to see what the innards look like

and finally here is the poly bushing frame side

Jeremy

ok, that makes more sense now. i was thinking you were talking about heim joints. thanks

FEP Power Member

I have MAC arms....I am going to go with Maximum Motorsports....
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

FEP Senior Member

ok o i amot geting the macs . how much would the max motorsports run me ?thanks alot

josh
    86 GT , 5speed, stock 86 block and cam, ported e7s, cobra upper and lower intakes,65mm tb,U/Ds,no A/C or smog,reflashed computer, BBK longtubes, custom 2 1/2 o/r xpipe, magnaflow catback,c-springs, koni's all around,and 16x8 AR wheels.

85 coupe-project sleeper

that company has a policy that no dealer can undercut another and all must sell at the same price, so it's the same no matter where you go. check the site at max motorsports.com.

They also sell adjustable ones if you want to be able to control how high or low the rear sits, or adjust the sag out of your car.
    Jeremy