Close

Default Dura-spark questions

In my 83 GT i have the stock Distrib. MSD coil and MSD 6A hooked up. This was on the car when I bought it. My question in do I need to disconnect the Dura-spark stuff? I heard that it might be holding my car back.

The duraspark shouldnt be working. The MSD 6A is a stand alone ignition. If somehow your car fails to start after you disconnect the duraspark it was probably wired incorrectly or is only functioning as a trigger for the factory tach somehow. Hopefully you have a tach adapter wired in somewhere.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

montage4

Default me too

the directions I got with my 6AL box showed the output going to the coil and nothing about hooking into the distributor. I would like to get rid of the brain box , is there another way to wire it? Right now I have the brain box feeding the dist and the battery feeding the MSD then it goes to the coil and the coil going to the cap. Open for ideas.

Sorry about jacking the thread.

St80sixer

The Duraspark system is disconnected for MSD install and it doesn't hold back the MSD or ignition at all. The MSD is basically a shunt (like the headlight relay upgrades) that draws and produces more spark energy by drawing power directly from the battery and sending it straight to the coil.

Personally I'd leave the whole Duraspark setup there in case the MSD craps out on you, then all you'd have to do is reconnect the Duraspark wires and drive away.

Sorry I haven't reponded.

My Dura spark is connected along with the MSD. I have a tach adapter and still the tach act silly, bounces around and stuff.

Got any pictures of what it should look like?

FEP Member

Default tach problem !

You have a bad tach, Same thing happened to me.. From wheel hop I think

so i decided after reading several posts to go ahead and do a gauge upgrade on my 83 GT.

I'm adding a set of auto meter gauges into the stock cluster. Kinda of a pain but so far it's looking great.

Maybe someone who has done this swap could PM me. I have a couple of questions

Thanks

just want to say great site!! i seem to read more than i post but just wanted to pass on something i came across last week.

i just finished upgrading my 85 with msd 6a/gt 40's,bbk lt's,b303,x-pipe and other goodies anyway, i found a mis print in the msd instructions for the purple & green wire that connects to the dist. it seems to be just the opposite of what is printed. it would idel but had a slight miss and the tach would jump from 900-1500 but the motor never actually reved more than 900 and wanted to stumble when driving, i switched them around and it ran perfect.

bert