Close

Thread: Speakers?

TTopStang

Default Speakers?

I just bought an 85 Ttop and where the heck do the speakers go? It has holes in the hatch area that someone hacked out. The front speakers look to be in the dash What size speakers are you guys using and where are you mounting them? The door panels do not look to be to great a place, but I could be wrong. Just curious on what everyone here is running.

DJ

DO NOT mount the speakers in the door panels. You will have to cut a hole in your nice door panel.

Speaker placement is limited in these cars. they are tiny ones that go under the dash pad.

The rear 1/4 panel trim in the hatch area also has speaker cut outs from the factory that has a grill cover that attaches over the speaker.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

3 1/2 in the front and 5X7 or 5x8 in the back, I have 5x9s in the back of my car.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

TTopStang

Are there three speakers in the dash? That's what it looks like. Damn, 3 1/2" speakers, bet that sounds good

TTopStang

I went on Crutchfield and they did not show 3 1/2 speakers that would fit our cars. What have you guys replaced the dash speakers with?

not suggesting this, but I have seen dashes at the junk yards where people have cut a bigger hole in top for bigger speakers. Thats up to you. You'll never see them under the dash pad, however personally I don't like cutting things.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

St80sixer

That center hole in the dash is for the mono speaker that came with AM radio equipped cars. There are companies out there that produce a dual stereo speaker that will fit in that location.

This is the setup I had in my Mustang, 3 1/2s in the dash, two tweeters in an aluminum plate where the AM speaker was, 4s under the quarter windows, 6x9s with custom boxes in the hatch area, and an amplified Bazooka tube subwoofer behind the drivers side seat. It sounded great, really drowned out traffic and an annoying passenger.

St80sixer

Quote Originally Posted by TTopStang
    I went on Crutchfield and they did not show 3 1/2 speakers that would fit our cars. What have you guys replaced the dash speakers with?
    Found 'em!
    Pretty much any of these will fit. Crutchfield's vehicle select is a crappy reference to use, lots of errors. I had the Infinity 32.5cf with crossovers in the 3 1/2 locations and I really enjoyed them.

The center hole in the dash is for the Premium Sound option's amplifier. So heat can excape. If there ever was just an AM radio option and not an AM/FM I have never seen one.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

These are the speakers I have in the dash http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X5rKsgX...=0&cc=01&avf=N they actually sound pretty good just theres not much bass out of them.

These are the speakers I have in back except mine have a black cover instead of the clear one http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X5rKsgX...=0&cc=01&avf=N these sound pretty good too.

Most any 3 1/2" speaker will fit in the front, and with 6x9s in the back you wont be able to use the stock cover.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

TTopStang

I really appreciate your guys input. How much of a PITA is it to get to the dash speakers?

TTopStang

795.0pacecar

How far is Stockbridge from Douglasville? I live in Hiram, about 20 minutes west of Atlanta. Are there any local clubs? You ever come out to the 1/8th mile track in Dallas?
    You goin to Fun Ford? I've been the two years I've been here. Usually there are 4 or 5 of us that caravan up there. I'll probably take the Lightning, rides a little nicer than the 85GT. Besides, the truck already has decent tunes in it and that's a long ways to drive with no tunes

FEP Senior Member

I'm running infinity 4" separates in my dash I did have to trim a little material in the holes for the speakers and I mounted the tweeters in the corners of the defrost ducts.

The dash pad is fairly easy to remove, some screws on the front edge and in the defrost ducts. The ones in the ducts are a bit hard to reach MAC Tools makes a screwdriver designed for the task but you can use a flex extension and a magnetic tip as well.

Be very careful when working on the dash pad, they tend to dry out and get very brittle. You can quickly turn a "cherry" one into a "holy" one.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

Most any 3 1/2" speaker will fit in the front, and with 6x9s in the back you wont be able to use the stock cover.
    well, sonce i want to use every part of the mustang, you could modify the speakers to make them fit into the grilles can you?
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

jazzcat2001

yea you can...i have 6.9s in my coupe with no problem and had them in the hatchback(8 with no modifying either