Close

Default mark 7 axle-can i swap the whole thing????

has anybody swapped in an entire 8.8 mark 7 rear???? local boneyard has an 89 lsc. they want $150 for the complete rear. also i have a set of svo spindles that i was thinking about using up front...any advice????
    1986 RS 5.0 Capri
    1985 ASC Mclaren
    1976 Bronco
    1978 Bronco
    2002 7.3L F350 4X4 CC SRW

It's still gonna be 1.25" wider each side.

SVO spindles are the same as stock 87-93 5.0 spindles i beleive. It won't increase the front track.

What i did was modify my rear LSC setup to work on my stock rear end but using ranger axles and using this method http://home.pacbell.net/black306/tech/reardisc.html

Up front i used SVO rotors and calipers but later went to Cobra 13" stuff
    Mike
    -'88 Mustang LX 5.0L

I have a Mark VII disc brake rear axle under my '83, along with '95 Cobra front brakes. I had to limit my tire size to 245/45 17 with the backspacing my '00 GT wheels have. The tires still fit inside the fenders with this set-up. There are a couple of pictures of it in the '83/'84 album on pages 4 and 5 and also in my own album.

-Mike
    '83 Mustang GLX---T-Tops, 5.0 EFI/TKO600/8.8, Ebrock hds/int, F303, 4whl discs, 3.27s, 70mm turbo @16psi.

Like Pontiac says...

Wider is better.
    No matter where you go, there you are

SVO spindles aren't the same as '87-'93 V8 Mustang spindles.

SVO and Lincoln spindles are one in the same. They also have a unique ball joint (I believe the shank is straight instead of tapered). To use SVO/Lincoln spindles with (non SVO) Mustang balljoints, and vice versa, would require a special spacer.

You will gain a few degrees of Ackerman steering with the SVO/Lincoln spindles though.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

i can use svo ball joints on my exsisting rack...yes????
    1986 RS 5.0 Capri
    1985 ASC Mclaren
    1976 Bronco
    1978 Bronco

Ball joints have nothing to do with the rack-and-pinion assembly. You're thinking tie rods.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

yea...what he said......
    1986 RS 5.0 Capri
    1985 ASC Mclaren
    1976 Bronco
    1978 Bronco

Caprisvo

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    SVO and Lincoln spindles are one in the same. They also have a unique ball joint (I believe the shank is straight instead of tapered). To use SVO/Lincoln spindles with (non SVO) Mustang balljoints, and vice versa, would require a special spacer.

You will gain a few degrees of Ackerman steering with the SVO/Lincoln spindles though.
    The SVO/Lincoln ball joints are tapered with a .100 larger shank. The SVO and 82/83 Lincoln Continental have a 5/8 inch longer steering knuckle (the part the tie rod end bolts to). The longer steering knuckle is responsible for the increased Ackerman steering. I'm not positive, but I don't think later Lincoln's had a longer steering knuckle.

To use the SVO spindles I had to buy a .100 tapered spacer for the ball joint from Central Coast Mustangs. I don't know if they're still in business, or not.

Thanks for the correction!
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

i swapped in the front spindles and brakes out of an 89 lsc. they are the same as svo pieces. i tried to get that collar from central coast mustang and they said they no longer carry it, they didn't know anyone who did either. i ended up having a machine shop set it up but i'm not very happy with the results so i'm gonnna swapp in a sn95 setup. i also used the rear out of the same car. has 3.27 gears and a posi trac differential. fits, but things are tight. if you're gonna go this route, i'd check out the site posted above. also check out http://svo73mm.cjb.net/ very informative site for anyone doing a brake upgrade. actually, that's where i found the link to the site posted above.
    one more thing. i have pics that were sent to me from a guy over at the corral that explains how to set up your parking brake for the rear discs using the original cables. if anyone is interested i can forward them to you. hope this helps and good luck

Scott Toogood

Default Lincoln E brake setup

Hey CJWanner2000, send me those instructions! I'm thinking about throwing a Lincoln axle in the RS and I'd like to keep my Ebrakes!
    Thanks!

give me your email address and i will forward the pics