Close

Default Torq-Thrust II 17x9.5 ?

Here's what I've got. 86 GT stock height and 5lug conversion. I've also put a Maximum Motorsport torque arm kit under the rear illeminating the need for the kicker shocks.(kicker brackets have also been removed) The kit I used also utilizes the adjustable lower arms.
    I'm trying to find out if the American Racing Torq-Thrust II wheels 17x9.5 with a 6 3/8" backspacing will fit into my rear wheelwells with the extra space Iv'e made with the MM Torque arm kit. I would also like to use a 275x40x17" tire. Will there be a major clearance issue, or just some minor fender lip rolling?
    I've already talked to an American Racing rep and didn't get any solid answers. So before I unload that much cash on some wheels and tires I'd like to hear some feedback, thanks in advance.

As far as diameter your cool. 275's should fit with a little bit of wheel well work. There's a hump inside the wheel well you might have to beat down along with the lip roll. As far as backspacing goes You are 2 5/8 inches outboard of center which may be too much. My reference book says that with those tires and a 10" wide rim (important to limit sidewall flex) you need 5 3/4 backspacing AND a Panhard bar with drum brakes. I'm not familiar with your torque arm kit so the Panhard bar may not be needed if the torque arm prevents lateral axle movement.

The torque arm replaces the two upper control arms and also utilizes a panard bar. This setup has completely elimanated all wheel hop and odd rear end movement when cornering especialy when applying power as you exit the corners. I currently have 15x8 welds with a 5.5" backspace and a 255x60 series tire. since I've already removed the torque strut hardware, it looks like I could fit more wheel and tire but without a lift its hard to take measurements while compressing the suspension. Has anyone else done this on an early Fox Chassis? Thanks