Close

Default cant get back seats back in!

ok, i took my back seat cushion out. i did the whole kneel on the seat and pull thing. it came out just fine. but getting it back in is not as easy as "installation is the reverse of removal" as stated in my manuals. so, any hints or tricks to get the seat cushion to lock back into the floor locks? i tried shoving real hard with no results. any help would be great!

THANK YOU,

ETHAN SMITH
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

SleeperGT

Just push hard towards the back of the car. You should be able to feel when you are on the "locks" then the seat should click and fall into place.

well, i did try that but i did not push too hard for fear of damaging the seat. where is the best place to push on it? im afraid of ripping the fabric or tearing the foam. ill probably try popping it in again soon. i wont have computer access until sunday evening so ill get back on then to check things out here on fep.

thanks for the help!

ethan
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

There is a frame that runs along the bottom of the seat (at least on an 83 Mustang). Look for where the "latch" is on the body, grab the frame right in front of where the bar is that engages the "latch" and push in and down. You should feel it slide up on the latch and drop in.

Pound it down as hard as you can, try to get one side in first and the other will go much easier.
    Calon

1985 LX Notchback (Project)
    1995 Mustang GT (In For Color Change)

FEP User

What I do is put the front seat all the way forward get my knee aganst the rear seat ,foot aganst the frt seat apply pressure and push down with hands,seat should pop into place hope that helped.

jazzcat2001

install a rear seat delete...cmon how many people really ride back there?

SleeperGT

I've actually thought of doing that, cheap mod really.. would have to self enforce the keep the back of the car clean rule.. heh..

goose

I was considering deleting the rear seats out of budgetary concerns. I have all new carpet that I'm installing right now, I've re-painted the dash and I'm cleaning up all the trim. So the entire interior will look great except for the rear seats that have huge rips in the upholstery. It would be more cost effective until I can spend money on new upholstery or seats.

-gus

My brother and I just did this last night on his 88 notch (same design as all 79-89's)

It is a bear to get in. Be sure that the carpet isn't draped over the mounting thingies on the floor board. Do one side at a time. Move the front seat all the way up so you can kneel into the floorboard behind the front seat, facing the rear seat. Push towards the rear end REAL hard on one side first. Push at the bottom of the seat closest to the floorpan, as there is a metal rail going through the seat bottom at that point. If you push hard enough back and down slightly, it WILL clip into place, then you can repeat on the other side.

FYI, we put 79-83 notch black rear seats into my bros 88 notch last night as part of his black interior conversion and it worked wonderfully. Direct bolt on. ANyone with an aero car, or putting aero interior into there car will note that the 90-93 rear seats are different and basically non compatible with 89 and older cars, and the 79-83 notch rear black seat was the perfect alternative.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Make sure you didn't accidentally bend the seat mounting hooks down. When I was putting my sea back in I did that and it took me a while and alot of frustration to figure out the hooks were bent.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost