Close

Default Highbeams on to long and my lights go out?

When driving if i leave my highbeams on for much over 5 to 10 mins my lights just turn off! Quite scary but if i flip off the high bems my low beams turn back on and work fine. Whats wrong? a bad switch? wireing? whats the solution....Car is an 85 GT.

86Bandit

Headlight switch isn't carrying the high current draw and kicking out. Maybe a new headligth switch will fix it for a while but these little switches are asked to carry alot of power with the high beams on.

Mike Croke

The circuit breaker in the headlight switch is tripping. Since the circuit breaker is integral to the switch, you have to replace the switch. Or you can put the lights on relays to reduce the current passing through the switch.

See here for an explanation of the relay: http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...dlights+relays

where can i buy the switch? and is it the switch on the colum or to the left? How dificult is the install? I am mechanically inclined but havent done much wire/electronic things to the car.

Mike Croke

The circuit breaker is in the switch mounted to the dash not the one in the column. You can only get the switch from the junkyards as far as I know.

Install is pretty easy as it has a plug so no soldering/crimping.

http://secure.50resto.com/product1.c...ategory_ID=744

$32.95 w/ foglamps
    $49.95 w/o foglamps
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

86Bandit

You should be able to get a headlight switch at most any auto parts. Not sure about the price on those though, been a while since I've had to buy one.

Banned

The factory switch has always been weak as far as I have experienced. I've owned 4 85's and they all have that problem. Best solution is to wire in a relay like Mike suggested above. Simple and permanent.

Did the relay mod a few years back. Zero issues and brighter lights!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.